57 plate 1.3 CDTI - Limp mode [Archive] - CORSA-D|UK

: 57 plate 1.3 CDTI - Limp mode

Thejezz
07-04-2011, 12:20
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone could help me if a new problem I have.

I went away for 2 weeks - the car was unused, after coming back and using the car, I let the car warm up before hand, joined a Dual carriageway after about 2.5k RPM in 3rd gear the car jolted and the yellow LED with the car and spanner came on briefly, after this the car went into limp mode.. it was fine for another week but now it seems to be getting worse. If I gradually go up to 70MPH it seems to be fine but if i put my foot down anymore it will do the same.

It is going into vauxhall next Wednesday Im wondering if someone else had/has a similar issue and what the cause may be.. after some research some people say it is the turbo waste gate that is stuck which would cost approx 700!!!! to repair.. this is way above what I can afford, i haven't paid this car off yet and the warranty ran out 2 months ago so if the price is going to be this high I shall be writing the car off into vauxhall's fore court! :evil:

any help will be appreciated.

P.S car has done 68k miles

Philip
07-04-2011, 12:31
Have you had any garage get a computer on it to read the fault codes? A half decent one would do that for 30.

My guess it could maybe air or fuel filter issue?

Good luck

Phil

s17cdti
07-04-2011, 12:33
Hmmm where to start. I had same on my 1.7cdti - when accelerating hard you get a bump, eml, then limp mode. Also occasional rough idle First time it started happening it was under warranty, they replaced the fuel rail (although could just be the fuel rail sensor)
That seemed to fix it for quite a while, but some months later it started doing it every now and then. Less often, but still occasionally. I just put up with it for a time, but then something changed / worsened and it started cutting out on me all the time. Took it to vaux, they did 500 worth of diagnostics / attempt fixes that did naff all, before finally replacing the pressure control valve on the fuel system. Since that valve was replaced it's been running really well and as yet touch wood has not had any repeats of the limp mode when accelerating. Good luck!

Thejezz
07-04-2011, 13:04
Funny you should say that because 1 of the fuel injectors was replaced under warranty which they told me would of cost 1400 without warranty, so i take it a new fuel system would cost double. For a 3 year old car.. im not happy
thanks for your replies anyway

s17cdti
07-04-2011, 14:13
As above, get a tech2 on it to see what codes are being logged to get a better idea where to start, but yes could also be almost anything fuel related (filter, filter housing, injector, common rail, pump, etc)

Just with you saying it started after you'd left it stood for two weeks, I wonder if some water / damp has got into the fuel system somewhere, in Haynes there is a simple procedure for bleeding water out of the fuel filter that could be worth a try?

s17cdti
07-04-2011, 14:16
Also as you're not in warranty don't take Vauxhall prices as gospel, if they diagnose it and quote you x amount for a certain job I'm sure with using breaker yards / online parts stores and local mechanics you can probably get it done for about a quarter the price!

Jonathan333
07-04-2011, 17:38
Funny you should say that because 1 of the fuel injectors was replaced under warranty which they told me would of cost 1400 without warranty, so i take it a new fuel system would cost double. For a 3 year old car.. im not happy
thanks for your replies anyway

Hi i just broke a 1.3 Cdti 90Bhp Z13DTH so i have a full set of injectors and alot more other engine bits stuff like fuel pump and more from the same engine
car had only done like 12000miles give me a message if you need anything and ill see if i can help.

Thanks

Thejezz
14-04-2011, 06:50
Turns out it needs a new turbo according to vauxhall which they quoted me 790 pounds, I will be taking it to a local garage as i believe i can get it done cheaper, the turbo charger is overboosting which is causing it to go into limp mode... will this damage the engine in anyway? as i need to drive it like this for another week..

300 bhp vxr
14-04-2011, 08:59
very easy job too do ,iam sure a new turbo is under 200 new from vx at trade club prices,

devvo SRI CDTI
14-04-2011, 09:49
Turns out it needs a new turbo according to vauxhall which they quoted me 790 pounds, I will be taking it to a local garage as i believe i can get it done cheaper, the turbo charger is overboosting which is causing it to go into limp mode... will this damage the engine in anyway? as i need to drive it like this for another week..

My 1.7 does this every 6 Months so far haha but I thought the 1.3s could have boost upped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie
14-04-2011, 10:03
I wouldn't take the turbo going as gospel! My 1.7's Turbo is on the brink of destruction as is my step Dad's 1.3 Astra. Well according to Vauxhall...

Took the Astra to the person we bought it from and it was found to be a boost pressure sensor, about 30 to replace + labour! They had the turbo out and everything and checked the intercooler.

Mines hasn't gone back into limp home mode so I haven't replaced it, thought it was just because the car hadn't been used for a while before I bought it. But both the Astra and Corsa had overboosting fault code

(ps not my fault if your turbo blows up :P hope this helps)

Thejezz
15-04-2011, 13:06
Well I cannot afford this repair at the moment, i have an open case with VX customer service who may be able to contribute.. VX said as long as i dont keep going into limp mode (therefore drive like a granny) it will not do any engine damage... i still dont know about that statement

s17cdti
15-04-2011, 14:16
I'd be inclined to agree, limp mode is the engine protecting itself and if anything it will overprotect itself; and if the fault is just overboost on the turbo then it ain't likely to overboost whilst keeping the revs low. It is possible, though boring and laborious, to drive the cdti's without ever going over the 1500rpm mark without the turbo spoiling onto boost at all...