Corsa 1.4 serious engine issues!! please help! [Archive] - CORSA-D|UK

: Corsa 1.4 serious engine issues!! please help!

lemon-sole
08-06-2011, 22:29
Hello Everyone!!

Ive got a Corsa D 57 plate 1.4, i absolutely love the car as its my first car and its just brilliant, however ive got a serious problem which is making me not love it so much anymore...

When i brought the car it had a very slight rough idle. Me and my dad thought nothing of it as there was nothing else wrong with the car, it drove fine and everything. After having the car about a month an engine management light came on, read it, lambda sensor. We replaced that and no problems with that since.

However after 4 months or so of owning the car, one day i was driving to college and the engine management light came on again but only flashed at me. This happened when i was stopped at traffic lights and the car was idling. The engine management light then went off and the spanner light came on and stayed on. I then pulled away from this set of traffic lights and the car had hardly any power atall, i very nearly stalled it! The car struggled to gain revs and sounded like a lawnmower!! I was unsure of what to do as i didnít have my ecu reader. I then came to stop my car, turn off the engine. When i turned the engine on again there was no problems, the light had gone off and the engine revved and drove perfectly again! However i still have the rough idle issue. This sequence of lights and engine issues now happens nearly every time that i leave the car to idle for a couple of minutes. The car also has a very fumy/ petrol smell from the outside.

With this problem being potentially dangerous as the car has a serious loss of power we put the car into Vauxhalls. Vauxhalls had the car for a week where they changed the coil pack and spark plugs and did various other tests on the engine but to no avail. The only thing they said was that they had read a cylinder 2 misfire. They said they had no idea what was causing the issue. They said it could be sticky valves and this would mean that the head would have to come off for it to be looked at. On hearing this we took the car from Vauxhalls and gave it to our garage who does all the work on our cars. We told them about this issue and they then did a compression test to reveal that cylinder 2 had a loss of compression but not all the time only sometimes. They said said it could be the hydraulic tappets in the engine. They replaced the tappets in the engine but no change. They then removed the head and checked the valves, the seating and the gasket. They found no issues within the head and were stumped. The head was then put back on to the car.

They then suggested the fact that it could be an electrical fault so we got someone to look at the car within an electrical fault in mind. He checked the ECU first. He said that the ecu was not giving out a pulse to cylinder two, well a correct pulse as he read it from an oscilloscope! We then had to bite the bullet and get a new ECU, we paid £200 for one from ebay! He then programmed it in, there was now pulse but the engine did not change. He then looked at the injectors where there was a wrong injector in cylinder two. He tested this injector and found out that it was shorted out and this had spiked the ECU and where it had been a long time this had broken the ECU he thought. We then replaced the injector but again there has been no change in the idling or the misfiring of the engine.

We then took the car out of the garage because everyone was scratching their heads about what was wrong with it! I then removed the throttle body and it was filthy. I cleaned the throttle body and put it back on. No change to the engine.I then had a look on this forums and others and found that the egr could be at fault. I removed the egr valve and blanked it off just to see if it made any difference. I drove it for a day and there was no difference so tomorrow i will clean out the egr valve and then put it back on.

I was then told it could be the engine temperature sensor as if it was reading to cold then the ecu would tell it to put on the choke and put more fuel in therefore causing it to run very rich. Today we replaced that sensor and again there has been no change.

This is the point that we are at now with spending over £1000 on the car to try to get it fixed but the car is now running terribly. The engine management light comes on almost everytime the car idles, very slow to pick up revs, smells fumy,. Basically the engine is misfiring!

Sorry everyone for the long post but me and my dad are sick of the car and really donít know what to do with it next, we are stuck with a car that we cannot sell, fix or drive!! If anyone has any ideas of what the issue could be that would be excellent, we really donít know what to do with it and short of replacing the whole engine which may not even sort it if its an electrical issue were stuck!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading!!!!!
Alex

P.s im not even sure if i have posted this is the right area?!!?!

ROBIN HOOD
08-06-2011, 22:50
Sorry to hear about your problems matey, I have no idea myself but good luck with getting the right answers.

Melia
09-06-2011, 00:02
Might be worth checking the bottom end of the engine mate.

Have you got any other fault codes?

lemon-sole
09-06-2011, 08:38
when you say the bottom end is that the exhaust/ cat area?! nope no other fault codes apart from 0300 which is a multiple cylinder misfire but that has only happened once its always the 0302 which is cylinder two missfire! thanks for your reply!

300 bhp vxr
09-06-2011, 10:05
how many miles has this car done,have you ever had a timing chain fitted.

Melia
09-06-2011, 10:17
Bottem end I mean the bottom of the
Engine where the pistons are, if you have checked the head it wouldn't hurt having a look around the pistons/rods.

I'm not saying that's your problem but you might aswell do a full strip and see if anythings a miss ;-).

Mikeyboy
09-06-2011, 10:21
done a cylinder leakage test or a compression test? ideally need both to see whats going on inside

Nick
09-06-2011, 11:04
Bottem end I mean the bottom of the
Engine where the pistons are, if you have checked the head it wouldn't hurt having a look around the pistons/rods.

I'm not saying that's your problem but you might aswell do a full strip and see if anythings a miss ;-).

That would mean stripping down the engine block, but cant imagine that would cure his problem...

Sounds like an electrical or fueling fault ie. ECU, Throttle body and such.

lemon-sole
09-06-2011, 11:11
the car is just coming upto 30,000 miles and ive had it since 23,000! i've never had a timing chain fitted :S

ive done a compression test and it shows a loss of compression on cylinder 2 but not all the time, so this says that it cant be a piston ring :/! will have a look at doing the cylinder leakage test!!

we think it sounds like an electrical fault but we have replaced a couple of sensors, the ecu and an injector... :/

One thing i had in mind was the maf but my car doesnt seem to have a maf it has a air intake temperature sensor instead... could this be at fault, it just seems to be that cahing the coolant temp sensor would be too easy to fix this issue and also the same as the air intake temp sensor?!?!!?!?

thanks for the help!

lemon-sole
09-06-2011, 11:15
i also have removed the throttle body and cleaned it thoroughly, when i removed it i found the the butterly flap inside the throttle body was opened slightly, i guess its meant to be to let the car idle but how open is it meant to be? could this cause an issue if it didnt function correctly? also if i unplug the throttle body and then start the car it will rev at about 1000 rpm and quite steady?!

Nick
09-06-2011, 11:24
Have you had this car into a vauxhall dealership at all yet? On Tech 2 and such like, i cant say ive seen many 1.4's with this problem AFTER replacing the ignition module...

Its nearly always the ignition module (coil pack) that causes this problem however on the 1.0 litre it has been known to require a new ECU.

lemon-sole
09-06-2011, 11:34
yes as i said in my first post they had it in vauxhalls for a week and not 100% sure what they did in the end but they were stumped and recommended having the head off for sticking valves! we have used three different coil packs now with no luck :S

thanks for the reply

Mikeyboy
09-06-2011, 11:36
yeah mate if its losing compression in one cylinder but not all the time could be a valve sticking that would be my guess and not something electrical as it is mechanical to lose and gain compression

Nick
09-06-2011, 11:38
Or have you had fuel injectors checked also to rule them out, the sticking valve would be the obvious one but if the injector is majorly fouled then it could give same effects...

Just pondering thoughts mate thats all...

TomSxi
09-06-2011, 14:10
He's put that they had a look at the fuel injectors in his original post Nick.

Sorry to hear about this mate, no idea whats up with it but good luck getting it fixed.

Nick
09-06-2011, 14:32
He's put that they had a look at the fuel injectors in his original post Nick.

Sorry to hear about this mate, no idea whats up with it but good luck getting it fixed.

Oh yeah, my bad...

Wouldnt think the pedal box would affect it in the way your describing, and after all the diagnostics im sure they would have figured if it was the crankshaft or camshaft revolution sensor causing the rough idle and misfire - commonly faulting on corsa c's.

robnewbs
09-06-2011, 14:40
I'd ring VX head office, 30'000 miles isn't alot for a corsa and it clearly shouldn't have unfixable problems. Neither should any car at that mileage, i'd get onto them and complain.

Deklan
09-06-2011, 14:46
hi dont know if it will help but i had the very same problem in my c2 it drove fine but then all of a sudden the enginemanagment light would come on and the car wouldnt rev past 2.5 revs and when i took it in to citroen it turned out that i had flooded the pollen filter when i drove throught a big puddle dont know if this helps pal

Corsa ltd 2010
09-06-2011, 21:11
i also have removed the throttle body and cleaned it thoroughly, when i removed it i found the the butterly flap inside the throttle body was opened slightly, i guess its meant to be to let the car idle but how open is it meant to be? could this cause an issue if it didnt function correctly? also if i unplug the throttle body and then start the car it will rev at about 1000 rpm and quite steady?!

Have you tried checking the idle control valve i think this is in the air flow senor, which controls the butterfly flap, i had this problem on my Xsara VTS i replaced the idle control valve and it was like a new car?? . But i don't think this would cause your decompression problems?

rambo1984
10-06-2011, 00:32
Might sound daft but what about the fuel pump and lines? If the pump doesnt run right it will make the engine run rough and not show up on Tech 2. The pump could be blocked. I might be wrong though

300 bhp vxr
10-06-2011, 07:31
where are you from pal

lemon-sole
10-06-2011, 11:52
Thanks for all the help!

I dont beleive my car has an idle control valve, it also doesnt have a mass air flow sensor as it has an air intake sensor instead!!! I might be wrong about the idle control valve but ive just not been able to see one?????

Last night i brought a compression tester and did a compression test for my self, all the compresions were between 135 Psi and 150 Psi so i dont beleive they are an issue?

Have now checked the pollen filter and it was fine, not sure this would cause an issue to my car though!!!!!

I live in christchurch mate :)

Thanks for all the help everyone!

lemon-sole
10-06-2011, 11:52
I will have a check of all the fuel lines and the fuel pump, thanks for the advice, ill let you know how i get on! :)

GazCorsaD
10-06-2011, 14:56
Was it a garage or private sale? I fit was a garage take it back and claim not fit for purpose, and you want a full refund

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

s17cdti
13-06-2011, 16:08
I had a load of trouble with mine having lumpy idle and going into limp home mode with the engine management light coming on, that was eventually traced back to fuel pressure valve, and I guess this may be a common fault as apparently they replace it with a modified part rather than like for like. Mine is a diesel though so not sure if this would be applicable the same to the petrols...

lemon-sole
25-06-2011, 15:00
Sorry for taking a long time to reply, ive had a busy time at college and trying to work on the car!

I had a load of trouble with mine having lumpy idle and going into limp home mode with the engine management light coming on, that was eventually traced back to fuel pressure valve, and I guess this may be a common fault as apparently they replace it with a modified part rather than like for like. Mine is a diesel though so not sure if this would be applicable the same to the petrols...

I dont believe the petrol models like mine have a fuel pressure valve?! Someone please correct me if im wrong :S Thank you for the help though!

The latest with the car is that ive been lucky enough to get my hands on a meriva for a short period of time with roughly the same engine as mine as its the same code and year! This car also only has 12,000 miles on the clock! I've been aloud to take a lot of the parts off of this engine and put on mine to see if they are the issue. What changed is as follows:

EGR Valve
Fuel Rail
All Fuel Injectors
Coil Pack (3rd Time Changed Now!)
Spark Plugs
Both Lambda Sensors
Camshaft Position Sensor
Crankshaft Sensor
Coolant Temperature Sensor
Throttle Body

Thats everything that i can think of that we changed. I could not change the Air Intake Temperature Sensor as the Meriva has a MAF. I also removed the inlet manifold off of my engine and wished to replace this however the Meriva one was slightly different due to the fact it has a MAF. I therefore inspected my inlet manifold and there was no visible cracks. Due to the number of holes for ancillary connection in the manifold i was unable to test it for pressure to see if there was any leaks.

I also wanted to change the exhaust manifold and Cat with the Meriva one. However the manifold support bolts were so rusted because of the heat the heads just round off when i attempted to undo them.

Unfortunately after replacing all of these parts as stated above there is still no change to the engine what so ever and runs exactly the same.

The next step that we are going to try is a complete engine wiring loom. We still think the issue is electrical as when you turn the engine on and off and then start it again the spanner light goes out. The engine is still very lumpy on idle however it is not a huge power loss as when the spanner light is on.

If this does not solve the problem then i believe that we are going to have to replace the entire engine. We just hope that replacing the engine works! If we do replace it and its the same i think a gallon of petrol and a box of matches is going to be the answer!!!!!!! If it does work i will strip the old engine down and find the issue!

Thanks for all your help and if anyone has any more ideas i'd love to hear them as im very quickly falling out of love with the car and would love to get it fixed :(

Alex

Mikeyboy
25-06-2011, 15:07
mate not being funny but why did u bother changing all them parts as u said it has lost compression so will need stripping down anyway

shouldve just stripped it down (got the head off at least) wouldve of been easier and saved u loads of time

lemon-sole
25-06-2011, 15:13
At first there was a loss of compression and we had the head taken off for this. There was nothing wrong when the head was taken off as stated in the first post!!!! I did a compression test the other night as i said earlier in the thread where is showed that all compressions were roughly the same, all within 10PSI of each other!!

Thats the reason why i have started to rule out electronic sensor and fuel problems!!

Thanks for the thoughts tho mate :)

Mikeyboy
25-06-2011, 15:18
take it to a garage mate just to see what they sa. does it still show up any engine codes?

lemon-sole
25-06-2011, 15:22
Have already taken it to vauxhalls who had it for a week and ended up scratching their heads. Then had it in a garage as i said in my first post for the head to be removed as vauxhalls suggested sticking valves as i said earlier in the thread!

The only engine code i get up is when the spanner light comes on and this is a P0302 which is a cylinder two missfire detected. I have also had on two occasions a P0300 which is a random/ multiple cylinder missfire detected!!!

Mikeyboy
25-06-2011, 15:25
have u had new valves and valve stems and lapped em in? i know like u said ur compressions are within 10 psi of each cylinder but what were each cylinders readings?

lemon-sole
25-06-2011, 15:47
I havent had new valves installed they were just checked and they pour a liquid though the head to check for leaks? :S anyway the garage who did this work said there was no issues with the valves :S

I cant remember the readings exactly but id say they were at an average of 140 - 150 PSI :)

Mikeyboy
25-06-2011, 16:32
I havent had new valves installed they were just checked and they pour a liquid though the head to check for leaks? :S anyway the garage who did this work said there was no issues with the valves :S

I cant remember the readings exactly but id say they were at an average of 140 - 150 PSI :)

yeah thats just to check if the valves arent closing all the way could still be sticking though. u had regular services? the liquid is fuel. lol

compressions sound about right

lemon-sole
01-07-2011, 23:15
the car has been serviced i believe on a regular basis however not by vauxhalls. This was why they wouldnt do it under warranty as i had the car with 2 months warranty left :(

Still got the problem, its a nightmare :'(

300 bhp vxr
01-07-2011, 23:18
were you from pal

paddy12345
02-07-2011, 12:42
I've same 1.4 and same problem
changed throttle body (used) and the temp. sensor (new)
oil, filters, sparks plugs
coil pack, changed coil pack and for two weeks was ok, just recently its start p.... me of again

didn't check compresion, yet

lemon-sole
05-07-2011, 22:41
I live in Christchurch, very near Bournemouth on the south coast :)

As bad as this sounds, its nice to have someone else with the same issues!!!

Do you have any further plans for the car to get it fixed, or is it under warranty??

paddy12345
06-07-2011, 18:15
I'm from Ireland

and gonna visit my local garage in Saturday to check compression

btw. today and yesterday I didn't notice any problem with the engine <lol>

Andy
06-07-2011, 19:38
you should maybe consider a new engine from a breakers instead :hmmm:

lemon-sole
08-07-2011, 23:28
Yeh lol thats our next move :/ my dad and i are going to fit it to cut down on costs!!

Cant believe a 57 plate car needs a new engine already!!!!

Woody
11-07-2011, 22:06
Your injectors aren't 'chuffing' are they and the plugs on the injectors are clean and secure?

lemon-sole
12-07-2011, 14:21
thanks for the reply woody. when you say 'chuffing' what does that mean?????

thanks,
alex

Woody
12-07-2011, 17:36
Basically the seals around the injectors have started to break down allowing the gasses to escape up the sides.

jmdnnlln
16-07-2011, 19:41
Might be a stupid question, but have you checked your FUEL, is it contaminated?........This has been know to cause a multitude of problems with the sensors..... hook up another supply and see if there is any difference.