Rear Fog Lights [Archive] - CORSA-D|UK

: Rear Fog Lights

Pompie8
30-07-2008, 20:52
Hi I was checking my lights (Corsa D 5 door) and found that although there are 2 rear fog lights fitted (with bulbs) only the R/H one works, I have investigated and found that there is no wiring or connector in the plug. Would I be correct in thinking that the M.O.T. requires that all fitted lights must work? if so does this mean that no new Corsa will pass it's M.O.T? I have tried wiring the L/H one in parallel with the R/H but due to the circuit protection it cuts off the supply. Has anyone fixed this?
Thanks

TJ
30-07-2008, 20:56
Law only requires 1 rear fog light, its there cos its on the other side in europe.

Car would not fail an MOT.

Leo
30-07-2008, 20:56
i have a 3 door, so i only have 1 rear fog light

pm optical, he might be able to give u some info

andywilson
30-07-2008, 21:07
from what i remember all fitted parts have to be useable/working. i.e. if there is a spare wheel on the car it has to be over the 1.6mm min. i would have thought the same would apply with the foglight.
however, i very much doubt that any mot testers will know it's there or will bother, as long as one works and its on the correct side.

mattlaw
30-07-2008, 21:36
nope, we have cars that come in with both front foglamps inop an they pass mot, as tj said you only need 1 rear foglight for an mot, p.s spare wheel isnt included on moteither

optical
30-07-2008, 22:23
i have a 3 door, so i only have 1 rear fog light

pm optical, he might be able to give u some info

thanks

replied to put his mind at rest

Nutter
04-08-2008, 17:38
Bah, that's a bit crap! Think I'll have to check mine and wire up the non working one if it's not already done... :)

Andy R
04-08-2008, 17:44
But why, how often if ever do u use your rear fog lights????? think I've used mine once of twice in 8 years of driving.

Pompie8
04-08-2008, 18:06
If you try to rewire the L/H fog light you will need to use a relay and live + feed or the can-bus system will cut the supply from that circuit.

I always prefer 2 rear fogs for driving on the continent. You can get a live feed from the tyre pump supply.

Nutter
05-08-2008, 01:43
But why, how often if ever do u use your rear fog lights????? think I've used mine once of twice in 8 years of driving.

Just like the idea of having everything working... :) Seems silly to have something there that doesn't work - though, I guess it could be handy if the other one bolws as a quick replacement. Also, the reason for having more than one is redundancy - in the freak event that the fog light bulb fails and you're traveling through thick fog, then the other one will still work and you're less likely to be rear-ended (again)...

If you try to rewire the L/H fog light you will need to use a relay and live + feed or the can-bus system will cut the supply from that circuit.

I always prefer 2 rear fogs for driving on the continent. You can get a live feed from the tyre pump supply.

Thanks m8 - helpful info - why would it kill the power? Shouldn't have though that an extra bulb would make *that* much difference to the circuit... obviously the resistance would half, but it's harly going to lead to a short circuit current...

I'll try and add a cable to the existing loom and see how it goes. I don't have the tyre inflator in mine - have a spare instead, though I suspect that the existing loom will have a live there for the tyre inflator if I need it...

Pompie8
05-08-2008, 11:48
You will need it, as the supply is cut off at under the required current for two bulbs, I did mine yesterday looks much better with two lit and as you say if one bulb blows etc.
By the way I have spare wheel and tyre inflator !!!

Nutter
05-08-2008, 12:37
You will need it, as the supply is cut off at under the required current for two bulbs, I did mine yesterday looks much better with two lit and as you say if one bulb blows etc.
By the way I have spare wheel and tyre inflator !!!

K - cheers for the info. I'll get into it when I get me car back...

How the hell did U get the spare AND inflator? :o

Carrot
26-08-2008, 23:50
Could anyone post some directions for this?

Also, if one were tu use LED's, would that sort out the resistance issue with 2 incandescants?

Pompie8
27-08-2008, 12:12
Yes!! LED's would be ok, better than relays and way under the cut off current. You can just hack into the R/H fog lamp supply, you will have to sort the plug at the L/H light cluster as there is no connector in the plug. that's the hardest part.

Nutter
27-08-2008, 19:03
Yes!! LED's would be ok, better than relays and way under the cut off current. You can just hack into the R/H fog lamp supply, you will have to sort the plug at the L/H light cluster as there is no connector in the plug. that's the hardest part.

Just got back from a week in Cornwall... I did have a quick look at the lights and loom while there one day - Think I'll use a relay so I can use the existing bulbs... Doesn't look too difficult - though I did noticed a missing cable on the connector into the N/S cluster...

Think I'll save it for a day when the weather's a little better...

I'll post some info / pictures up when I do it in case anyone else wants to do the same...

Carrot
27-08-2008, 21:52
Many thanks, I'll have a look too, when I get time.

Rossmcsherry1
27-08-2008, 22:12
wait, isnt the N/S 'foglight' as yous are reffering to it, the reverse light. corsa D's only have 1 fog light on the O/S as the law requires, and 1 Reverse light on the N/S as law requires..

Carrot
28-08-2008, 09:38
Only on the 3 door.

The 5 door has a reversing light on either side (both wired in and working) and a fog light on each side, with the n/s not wired in but a bulb is in the cluster.

Rossmcsherry1
28-08-2008, 17:24
my bad

Carrot
15-03-2009, 19:44
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did anyone ever get down to taking some photos of this?

Pompie8
15-03-2009, 20:58
I didn't take any photos, but it's quite straight forward if you can overcome the plug having no pin for the fog lamp. I took one out of a spare plug. I'll do some circuit diagrams of relay solution and LED solution if you need them.

Carrot
15-03-2009, 21:01
that would be most kind.:doublethumbs:

Pompie8
15-03-2009, 22:03
I've sent you a personal message

simon2west
18-03-2009, 20:25
i have a 5 door and there is only one fog light on the right hand side so no probz there it comes like that same with the 3 doors

Bingo999
18-03-2009, 20:50
u know what i never even noticed till now! all to save 50p probabily dam vx now thats another thing to do!

Carrot
04-04-2009, 21:53
Just thought I'd add a little update to this. I spoke with my local dealer.

The guy on the service desk thought I was taking the ****, so I told him to check every 5 door he had on the forecourt. (His manager interviened and asked something along the lines of "Didn't you know that?") Anyway, they couldn't give any reason as to why or if they would do anything about it, so I decided to email VX direct.

Note I was not expecting either my local dealer or VX to do anything, but I thought I would try it on. I have lost the email I sent them, but this is their reply...

I refer to your email on 26 March 2009, regarding the rear foglights on your Vauxhall Corsa, registration number #######

I have spoken to our Technical Team to ascertain why the nearside foglight is not connected.

They advise much the same as yourself in that the legal requirement is only for the offside light to be connected and the other light is purely for aesthetic purposes, they further advised that this light can not be connected, as it may then cause complications within the wiring harness.

Thank you once again for contacting us and giving me this opportunity to assist.

Yours sincerely

Christopher Walsh
Customer Care Manager