What is our Operating Temperature??

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is our Operating Temperature??

Hey Guys. I have a vauxhall corsa.D 2013 . I have Been watching.my.temp guage and I want to know what is our Operating Temperature in the cars.

Today I drove on motorway and it was at 99 - 101 / and then drive it back home on normal roads.and it.got.t about 101 103. I no these last two days have been really hot, but just.trying to find out what are other people's operating temp running at?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Premier Member
    Sounds slightly hot but as you say its been really warm.

Before i fitted a low thermostat my car would be 95 on cruise and go up to over a 100 in traffic.

I'm inclined to say your temps are normal for summer
    Corsa SRI Turbo - Tech 2 Owner, Manual tyre changer owner near Aberdeen

Quote Originally Posted by u33db View Post
    Sounds slightly hot but as you say its been really warm.

Before i fitted a low thermostat my car would be 95 on cruise and go up to over a 100 in traffic.

I'm inclined to say your temps are normal for summer
    Hey Pal

Thanks for responding. When you say a low thermostat what do u mean by that are they different to regular ones? What does you car run at now with your new thermostat if u don't mind me asking?

5. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Vauxhall engines run very hot to help with emissions. In normal temperatures, my corsa will be around 91-93c. On a hot day like yesterday my car was at 99c. My fan kicks in at 105c, which barely happens. Just check your coolant level is correct and just keep an eye on your temp

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by corsaez View Post
    Vauxhall engines run very hot to help with emissions. In normal temperatures, my corsa will be around 91-93c. On a hot day like yesterday my car was at 99c. My fan kicks in at 105c, which barely happens. Just check your coolant level is correct and just keep an eye on your temp

Sent from my iPhone
    Thanks corsaez I'll defiantly do that. Mine was running around same marks yesterday too. Not actually looked what it's like on a normal day. So I'll keep an eye out for that once this welcome but also not so welcome heat leaves us lol

Premier Member
    Quote Originally Posted by everson38 View Post
    Hey Pal

Thanks for responding. When you say a low thermostat what do u mean by that are they different to regular ones? What does you car run at now with your new thermostat if u don't mind me asking?

Yes, they basically open at a lower temperature so the coolant runs through the radiator sooner keeping the overall temperature lower.

Usually the "low temp" option is just the standard thermostat they fit to cars in hot countries so it isn't even an aftermarket part.

Mine sits steady at 90 degree now and rarely goes over 95 when caning it.

As stated though, a hot engine helps with emmissions so just stick with what you have.

The only reason i have fitted one was because i was working in that area anyway.

Yes, they basically open at a lower temperature so the coolant runs through the radiator sooner keeping the overall temperature lower.

Usually the "low temp" option is just the standard thermostat they fit to cars in hot countries so it isn't even an aftermarket part.

Mine sits steady at 90 degree now and rarely goes over 95 when caning it.

As stated though, a hot engine helps with emmissions so just stick with what you have.

The only reason i have fitted one was because i was working in that area anyway.
    Thanks for this u33.

Big help. Lastly as I am curious u said u only fitted one because u were working in that 'area' do u mean area of the car or area as in a part of the country lol sorry if missing point lol

Premier Member
    I meant i had the whole cooling system dismantled to fit a new radiator and silicone hoses so "what in the area" where the thermostat was fitted.

I meant i had the whole cooling system dismantled to fit a new radiator and silicone hoses so "what in the area" where the thermostat was fitted.
    Thanks for this. Lastly I just posted a new thread, but maybe you can answer this since u did an overhaul on cooling system.

I'm looking to drain out old coolant, but I know u cannot get it all out as some remains in engine.block etc. My nearest vauxhall is quite far so was wondering if u knew of compatible coolant brand I can use to mix with my vauxhall orginal brand currently in my car?

Thanks if can or cannot help

Sent from my iPhone
    Hey Ez. Wondering if you could tell me next time you have a change what temp your car gets up to at idle. I was out in the evening last night about 10:30 pm and it was fluctuating from 101 - 109 - I know we ate at particular hot time but worried as it seems high. I need a.comparison if u could, but thanks either way.

I'll do it later as I'm currently out in my work van and won't be back to my car till 6pm. I can tell u that I changed my thermostat afew weeks ago as mine had failed (stuck closed) and the temp got upto 107c and wasn't cooling down. Once I changed it, I had my car engine running and it got to 105c and then the fan kicked in and brought it back down to 95c.

If your temperature is going over 105c and it's not cooling down whilst your fan is running, I'd say the thermostat has failed. £12 from eurocarparts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll do it later as I'm currently out in my work van and won't be back to my car till 6pm. I can tell u that I changed my thermostat afew weeks ago as mine had failed (stuck closed) and the temp got upto 107c and wasn't cooling down. Once I changed it, I had my car engine running and it got to 105c and then the fan kicked in and brought it back down to 95c.

If your temperature is going over 105c and it's not cooling down whilst your fan is running, I'd say the thermostat has failed. £12 from eurocarparts.

Thanks a lot for this matey. See the issue I have is at idle it get up to 107 and highest 109c last night, but fan does kick on and then it comes back down. I'm worried that it is even getting to that temp in the first place. My car is a 2013 plate with only 27k on clock. I could really do with a cold normal day as I'm back and forth thinking " Is it a problem or is it just weather adding to it ???? "

107-109c is too high especially with the fan going. I'd definitely say it's your thermostat that has failed in that case. The weather does have an effect on how hot the car gets but the fan and thermostat work together to keep your engine at it normal temperature. Go on the eurocarparts website, put your reg plate in and then search for the thermostat for your car, it should be around £12. Add it to your basket and then go to the basket and find the part where is says. Add promo code, use forum40 as the code. And then reserve it for you to collect.

107-109c is too high especially with the fan going. I'd definitely say it's your thermostat that has failed in that case. The weather does have an effect on how hot the car gets but the fan and thermostat work together to keep your engine at it normal temperature. Go on the eurocarparts website, put your reg plate in and then search for the thermostat for your car, it should be around £12. Add it to your basket and then go to the basket and find the part where is says. Add promo code, use forum40 as the code. And then reserve it for you to collect.

Yeh well I have the liftetime warranty so I have booked my car in tomorrow for them to have a look. I have a neighbour who I am going to check numbers with tonight. But I would really appreciate when ur back home and have a min. If u wouldn't mind testing ur car at idle and at operating temp as I like to go in armed with my.vauxgall dealership as they can be abit fob off. Thanks again

No worries mate, I'll defo update u later .

No worries mate, I'll defo update u later .

Hey matey

Sorry to be a pest but just checking in to see if u managed to check the temp reading u get once car is at operating temp and on idle?

No worries matey. I let my car cool down before I tested it for you. On start up my temp was at 67c and over a 15 minute period it slowly came up to 96c. Then the next 5 mins saw my temp go to 105c and then my fan kicked in and brought the engine temp down to 97c within half a minute. The outside temp whilst doing this test was 18c. For your information my corsa is a 1.2 57plate corsa d club, with 80k miles on the clock. This test also mirrors the test I did afew months ago when I replaced my thermostat, it had very similar temperature results. I hope this helps

Last edited by corsaez; 21-06-2017 at 04:44.

No worries matey. I let my car cool down before I tested it for you. On start up my temp was at 67c and over a 15 minute period it slowly came up to 96c. Then the next 5 mins saw my temp go to 105c and then my fan kicked in and brought the engine temp down to 97c within half a minute. The outside temp whilst doing this test was 18c. For your information my corsa is a 1.2 57plate corsa d club, with 80k miles on the clock. This test also mirrors the test I did afew months ago when I replaced my thermostat, it had very similar temperature results. I hope this helps

Thanks man this is brilliant.

As a comparison mine is a 1.2 corsa d 2013 plate with 27k on clock. At idle will raise to 109c fan will kick in and drop it back down bug then once fan turns off it will raise back up. Driving normal roads it goes up 104 degrees

Obviously the temp will rise if the engine is running and no airflow is going through the radiator but, your temps are very high. Whilst driving, your temps shouldn't be that high. I'd definitely take it for a check over, especially if you have warranty.

Obviously the temp will rise if the engine is running and no airflow is going through the radiator but, your temps are very high. Whilst driving, your temps shouldn't be that high. I'd definitely take it for a check over, especially if you have warranty.

Yes I agree with you mate. Well it's booked in tomorrow and I'll keep you posted in what they say.

You won't belive it mate I'm sitting in vauxhall now and they are trying to tell me that 110 - 117c is withing my operating range

Quote Originally Posted by everson38 View Post
    Yes I agree with you mate. Well it's booked in tomorrow and I'll keep you posted in what they say.

Here is the form print out from them. I really don't no what to do because although my coolant isn't low/ no leaks / fan turns on. Compared to a lot of people mine seems high. It got to 110 today at idle at red traffic lights. Driving normal roads and dual carriage ways was about 103 - 105.

Just worried I'm doing damage to the head but I guess at a slower pace because no Overheating lights comes on.

I personally don't agree with what they are saying, it's seems way to high. If it was my car, I would nip to another local independent garage and have a chat with them to see what they say.

I personally don't agree with what they are saying, it's seems way to high. If it was my car, I would nip to another local independent garage and have a chat with them to see what they say.

Yeah it's something I really want to do. But I am worried of a few things. Have to pay for them have a look, the garage telling me stuff just to get work. And not too sure what they will check because, fan comes one, no coolant leak, so anything they will do will cost me and money is tight for me to pay out on something it may not be. I have attached photograph of what vauxhall checked. I plan to change coolant and was going to test thermostat if possible. Can I ask a favour next time your at your car could you take a picture of where your thermostat is I just want to compare and upload up here if you don't mind

My thermostat housing is circled in the picture. I have the older z12xep engine, so your engine a12xer will be a slightly different layout.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information