Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

whistling noise

14K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  R7MNT 
#1 ·
hey ... got my sri on friday and have noticed a kinda of whistling/whining noise coming from the front right of the car . for the life of me do not have a scooby what it could be , it occurs when you go past 3,000 revs ( when u put the foot down) i first thought it could be the air box, as if it not letting the air flow properly , but i put my k+n onto it ( off my old c) and that was just sillyness , my car sounded like it had a dump valve in it lolol dont know why , i aint a mechanic .. but to me its comin from the rfront right wheel , but everything seem tight and theres no signs of anything grinding together. anyone had this problem ? cars going for a service on saturday but its bugging the sh*t out of me not being able to know what it is till then. thanks in advance and sorry if i ameant being clear on what kinda of noise it is , but basically kinda of metal to metal grinding noise with a bit of whistle lol

#11 ·
well i had a bloody rattling / squeeky / whatever else that was going on ... but it was coming from the pasanger side , wd40'd the door catch and wha-laa no noise anymore lol , so its just this whistling noise thats ****ing me off !!! would a pipercross panel filter help the air flow by mch (reduce the sound)

#15 ·
even my diesel makes that whistling noise mate, its ment to be there, if you dont like it the only thing i can suggest is turn the stereo up lol. personally i like it, mine gives off a lot of chatter when i come off the gas its great.

#16 ·
If the whistle is high pitch and increases in pitch then its the turbo. If its a lower pitch like a referee’s whistle then SEE BELOW!

If you fit a panel filter you can clearly hear the bypass valve on the turbo reticulating the compressed air which is the characteristic "Tsssht" sound.

THE CAUSE OF THE STRANGE WHISTLE NOISE
CORSA SRI TURBO 2006 - >

I have just had my car back from Vxl for this same problem of a strange whistle noise.
It whistles in 2nd gear to 6th gear when you accelerate quite firmly but doesn’t lack in power!!??
Its not a high pitched turbo whistle as it spools up!, it only comparable to a referees whistle. The sound is at a constant pitch not increasing like the turbo impeller.

At first I though it was a hole in the pressure side of the intake system, but you would know about it if you where loosing boost, same as if there was something wrong with the turbo you and your diagnostic system would have flagged it up.

The actual cause of the whistle (as stated above) is a manufacture error with the centre exhaust box. (Designed by accountants lol)….

Vauxhall are very aware of the problem, even if they do deny it!!!

Take your car to Vauxhall and explain if they do a search on their system; there is a ‘Field Remedy’ for the whistling noise where they will have to order you a part to replace in the exhaust system.

Hope this helps :bye: :thumbs:

#17 ·
yeah luke and others are right - its just part of the sri - the vxr doesn't do it though - or least the ones I have been in don't - mines got a bit louder now as the engines loosened a bit - people turn round and stare - its quite funny - well makes me chuckle!

#19 ·
deffo the turbo, i don't see why you dont like it :) i love the sound, sometimes i even stick the accelerator down a little further to hear it :) then lift off to hear the standard OEM dump valve :) welcome to the SRi Turbo club :) and start enjoying the noise.

i have put a Pre-Cat replacement pipe on mine and also a Courtenay Sport panel filter, since fitting them the noise has increased, and since putting the Courtenay Sport Panel filter on if i lift off the throttle slowly, i even get turbo chatter :D love it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.