Windows steaming up and not clearing (and freezing on the inside)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windows steaming up and not clearing (and freezing on the inside)

Windows steaming up and not clearing (and freezing on the inside)

Hi, I have read many posts about people's Corsa's doing this.

Has anyone ever got to the bottom of it as it much be a design fault. It has been in Vauxhall for this and they stripped the inside confirmed it was dry. I collected it (on a dry day and it hadn't been washed), drove home, parked up and 20 minutes later it had steamed up.

I have never had another car do it like this and have advised Vauxhall it is not acceptable. It is now going in to another vauxhall dealer to be looked out but any info I can get to help will be great. - This car is a never ending source of hassle/problems and its getting very out of hand.

Thanks for reading and any info you have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Spring 2012 Feature Car
    happend to me this morning had to scrape the inside which ment my dash got a bit covered haha !

Mine also does this on a icy night, which i thought was logical, as the condensation will freeze due to cold weather outside? Takes a while to defrost too

Banned User
    It's not really a design fault mate, it's just a weather problem. If there is heat in a car and it's cold outside, it will condense and then freeze if it's cold

Best thing to do is to keep your fan setting on 1.

I do that and never had a problem.

get some silica gel, like what you used to get in new trainers those little packets and put them everywhere... they will soak up the water... or put a demhumidifer in there over night if you have a garage...

drive round for a couple of day with air con on to de humidify car its beacus of all the damp you have in your car from shoes and stuff then give it a couple of day with no air con to remove the vapour

Thanks for the replies although it is a design fault or fault with the car. The car has been stripped and confirmed to have no damp in carpets/trim etc yet still misted up or freezes depending on the temp.
    No other car I have owned has ever done this including convertibles and you should not be scraping the inside of the window to get ice off.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc T View Post
    Thanks for the replies although it is a design fault or fault with the car. The car has been stripped and confirmed to have no damp in carpets/trim etc yet still misted up or freezes depending on the temp.
    No other car I have owned has ever done this including convertibles and you should not be scraping the inside of the window to get ice off.
    i had to scrape ice from mine and the girlfriends over winter... do you leave open drinks in the car or something... i dont think its actually leaking mate..

Banned User
    It doesn't happen to me and tbh mate, any heat in the car (breath or anything) will freeze if it's cold enough, that's science! As said before, try never having your fan off. I always have mine on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBoy View Post
    It doesn't happen to me and tbh mate, any heat in the car (breath or anything) will freeze if it's cold enough, that's science! As said before, try never having your fan off. I always have mine on 1.
    Mine is always on 1, also wipe your screen with a dry microfibre cloth to remove any watery vapor on your screen, mines never done it

mine did this because i had melted snow which made the carpet and that damp in the footwell. so i left it running with the heaters on for a while it dried up and didnt freeze anymore.

Hi, no one is allowed to drink in the car and the mats etc are dry. The fan is always on at least 1 and Vauxhall have checked the car (including stripping all the trim out in a heated bodyshop) and it still did it on a dry day within half and hour of picking it up from vauxhall

Banned User
    that's crap mate. Silica gel can only help.

I would suggest that it is some kind of hole in your radiator or heater matrix (if the D's have one) I had steam coming out of my Pug that caused this and it was the heater matrix that had leaked. Get your rad checked and if the D's have a heater matrix get that looked at.

Hi, its already had the rad changed and I wondered about the matrix but its not lost water - Wel its not needed topping up but I guess the smallest leak would be enough.
    Its back in Vauxhall Monday but I hold out no hope.

always happening to me as well mate its a pain in the arse! windows always steaming up on the inside

If I ever get an answer I will post it up. The more I think about it and the fact Vauxhall have confirmed 100% that the seats, carpets and mats are dry, it has to be moisture in the heater box. Proving/fixing it is going to be another thing.

Its in Monday and I really hope this time they actually sort it because I am fed up of having to run round after Vauxhall.

May sound really silly, but after it's rained try drying down your rubber door seals, I had this problem on my old fezza, and this worked a treat. Also lose stuff in your boot/car in general, especially cloth type materials will hold moisture which will eventually evaporate and condense on your car windows, and obviously freeze up in the freezing cold. This would apply to the floor mats aswell, hence why I bought a set of rubber ones from VX to get me through the winter, plus they're tough as nails and wipe clean lol.

Hey there.. I don't know if this is related, as you don't have wet carpets. But in my corsa D, first came across the carpets being wet, and only just found out today from vauxhall that it was caused by a faulty bulkhead seal - have you heard anything about that? Could be a source of the moisture if it's leaking a tad? =/

Ash

My front windscreen freezes up on the inside too complete nightmare when it takes like 10 mins to clear :s ! Seemed to be nothing stopped it from doing it. Surely it has to be a fault ? none of my previous cars does this..

Spring 2011 Feature Car
    Malta Organiser

Quote Originally Posted by Joejs90 View Post
    get some silica gel, like what you used to get in new trainers those little packets and put them everywhere... they will soak up the water... .
    good idea.

besides, avoid having sex in your d...

:lol:

I've had this, just moisture on the inside (from wet shoes etc) freezing inside.

A quick blast of the air con in the morning with the heating on full does the trick. Sucks all the moisture out and warms up the car.

Ash_Corsa - How 'wet' are we talking? Under my mats the heel pad on the drivers side always has darker patches. It is never soaking wet and I can't tell whether it's moisture or just cold to touch, could be a very slight leak in bulkhead seal. I've been a bit suspicious of this for a while as I have the whole window misting up thing and freezing even last week.

Hi, thanks for the posts.

Vauxhall UK have been out and inspected the car and advise there is nothing wrong with it even though it still mists up on the inside to the point you can't see out of the windows.

Its still ongoing as its not acceptable so I haven't forgotten to post the answer, I just don't have one yet.

Ref the bulkhead seal - Do you know exactly which one this was so I can get this checked.

Thanks again
    Marc

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information