Rear Wheel Bearings

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Wheel Bearings

Rear Wheel Bearings

Are they really made of plasticine?

I was reading a threads yesterday and saw a post about the bearings being part of the hub meaning you cannot replace them, what a ****** rip off.

How many members here have had to changed them ? (can you also add a post if you have owned a Corsa D and never had to change them)

How old was the car when you had them changed ?

How many miles had the car done ?

Did you have to replace them again in the time you owned the car ?

Are certain models more prone to this or is it across the range ?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by max_ping; 08-10-2011 at 18:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Both rears went on mine after 25k miles its a 09 plate. Makes alot of noise when they go.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I have edited my OP and added "can you also add a post if you have owned a Corsa D and never had to change them" so we can see if this is a common problem.

Just found this posted 28th January 2010,

They fail due dirt and water ingress. If new bearings are fitted with the correct grease then they should last.

Corsa-D - Rear Axle - Wheel Bearing - Noisy Vehicles: Corsa-D 2007-Onwards All Engines Note: Only vehicles with five bolt wheel hubs affected Complaint: Customer complaints noises from rear axle. Cause: Penetration of water and dirt.
    Remedy:
    In the event of bearing replacement the seal must be treated with special grease prior to fitment.
    Please ensure the entire surface of the seal area is coated sparingly with grease, as shown in the picture I, 1.
    (Special Grease - part no.: 09163334/catalogue no.: 19 48 613)
    I have just checked and mine are 4 bolt, why should this make a difference ?
    Last edited by max_ping; 08-10-2011 at 18:24.

the 5 bolt is intened for higher speed versions , or higher torque. so i imagine the load is higher which cause more flex and so on.

basically though if the bearing is fitted corrdctly and not by a VX mong then it wont fail simple as mate

I have covered 30k in just over 12 months and not had a bearing problem, then a friend has done 15k in the year and had to replace both rears. We both have 07 Cdti 5 drs. I have heard though that bearings on alloy wheels dont last as long unlike their steel wheel counterparts. I dunno if its true though

i think thats a myth to be honest buddy. its all down to craftsman ship

The 5 stud hubs r fitted to corsas with discs on the back.

The bearings fail because they get water in the back of them there is now a seal available from vauxhall to try and fix the issue

This is ridiculous, it would be bad enough if you only had to replace the bearing but having to pay £90 for a hub because they screwed up is just wrong, if i had a car and it had discs i would be contacting watchdog and telling them this is a common fault and Vauxhall know it is a problem, i would also explain that all cars with rear discs will suffer premature bearing failure and customers will be forced to pay £90 for a hub plus fitting to rectify the problem.
    Thank f**k i have drums on the back.
    Last edited by max_ping; 09-10-2011 at 11:45.

18k miles, rear driver bearing went. drive an 08 plate vxr

Quote Originally Posted by theorangebandit View Post
    the 5 bolt is intened for higher speed versions , or higher torque. so i imagine the load is higher which cause more flex and so on.

basically though if the bearing is fitted corrdctly and not by a VX mong then it wont fail simple as mate

The bearings come as part of the whole hub assembly,so will fail whether fitted by vxl or private garage.

Mines on 44k and ive had them replaced. ive had the car apr '10 when it was on 9k.

How do you know they've gone? or going?
    Best to fail being original, than to fail trying to copy
    The Ultra Blue Progress For Sale: Heater Boards

You will hear the growl they make.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information