Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

Rear Wheel Bearings

15K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  DSXI 
#1 · (Edited)
Are they really made of plasticine?

I was reading a threads yesterday and saw a post about the bearings being part of the hub meaning you cannot replace them, what a ****** rip off.

How many members here have had to changed them ? (can you also add a post if you have owned a Corsa D and never had to change them)

How old was the car when you had them changed ?

How many miles had the car done ?

Did you have to replace them again in the time you owned the car ?

Are certain models more prone to this or is it across the range ?

Thanks in advance. ;)

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks.

I have edited my OP and added "can you also add a post if you have owned a Corsa D and never had to change them" so we can see if this is a common problem.

Just found this posted 28th January 2010,

They fail due dirt and water ingress. If new bearings are fitted with the correct grease then they should last.

Corsa-D - Rear Axle - Wheel Bearing - Noisy Vehicles: Corsa-D 2007-Onwards All Engines Note: Only vehicles with five bolt wheel hubs affected Complaint: Customer complaints noises from rear axle. Cause: Penetration of water and dirt.
Remedy:
In the event of bearing replacement the seal must be treated with special grease prior to fitment.
Please ensure the entire surface of the seal area is coated sparingly with grease, as shown in the picture I, 1.
(Special Grease - part no.: 09163334/catalogue no.: 19 48 613)
I have just checked and mine are 4 bolt, why should this make a difference ?

#5 ·
I have covered 30k in just over 12 months and not had a bearing problem, then a friend has done 15k in the year and had to replace both rears. We both have 07 Cdti 5 drs. I have heard though that bearings on alloy wheels dont last as long unlike their steel wheel counterparts. I dunno if its true though

#8 · (Edited)
This is ridiculous, it would be bad enough if you only had to replace the bearing but having to pay £90 for a hub because they screwed up is just wrong, if i had a car and it had discs i would be contacting watchdog and telling them this is a common fault and Vauxhall know it is a problem, i would also explain that all cars with rear discs will suffer premature bearing failure and customers will be forced to pay £90 for a hub plus fitting to rectify the problem.
Thank f**k i have drums on the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.