Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

Knocking/clunking sound from drivers side back wheel

17K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  alexrogers 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Looking for some help. I have a 2007 1.4 SXI and recently (within the past 2 months) i've noticed a knocking/clucking sound which seems to come from the drivers side back wheel. Its more noticeable at low speeds, especially going over bumps. It can sometimes be there and sometimes not. More often its there and it seems to be getting increasingly there. Its one of those sounds that you can't describe to anyone. I've tried to tell my dad, but I can either not describe it, or the sound isn't there when he's in the car, annoying! I know its there and I know its been getting worse as I drive the car every day.

I've had the wheel off and checked over the wheel, suspension and shocks, but can't see anything apparent?

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks!

Alex

#11 · (Edited)
Is your spare wheel and jack secured properly? Are the rear seats folded upright properly and is the rear shelf clipped in properly. Also is it a 3 or 5 door, if its a 5 door, give the rear door hinges a good lashing of white grease from a spray can, they knock when they're dry. Other than that, I'd be checking for springs snapped/dislodged or worn rubber mounts. Check the bush on the bottom of the shock at the axle, check the shock is secured properly at the top, is the shock leaking? If it is change it. If you can, check that the rear axle bushes where the axle join the chassis aren't worn. Give the wheels a good wobble and shake make sure the bearings aren't loose/worn. Wheel arch liner, is it secure? Bumper is it flapping about on a broken clip. Exhaust, are the rubber mounts worn?

#12 ·
I've found the source of the knocking and its actually the front of the car. The Drop links from the anti roll bar have play in them, i'm gonna replace them asap, but I'm trying to source some original GM ones.

Any one have any idea how much these are from VX?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.