Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

Ben's 1.2 SXI Progress Thread

9K views 217 replies 22 participants last post by  Ben Spencer 
#1 ·
Finally decided to start a progress thread. Posted stuff about my car before but decided to have it all in one place instead of around this forum. I can't do too much to my car ( as much as I want to ) due to the costs of doing so and also declaring modifications to my insurance, it all costs money. Need to save my money for now but never the less I'm going to try my best to keep this thread up to date with what I'm doing to my car.

This is my Vauxhall Corsa SXI. It's a 1.2 so I'm not set on going down the performance route as there is only so much you can do to improve the performance of a 1.2 engine. Although at the moment I'm currently running a RAMAIR cone filter with cold air feed. I decided on one of these as I wanted an increase in sound. I read that a panel filter would increase performance by maybe 2bhp and be better on my mpg but not increase the sound that much so I decided on a cone filter. It was pretty easy to install for a novice to mechanics.

I recently had an issue with my car on idle. It would cut out or be very rough. After searching the web I found out it could be a number of things and got quotes from garages ranging around the £250 mark for them to maybe fix the problem. Not having the money to do this I decided to take a look at the throttle body as I new this may be the cause of the issue. Once I had opened the throttle body up it soon became apart that it hadn't been cleaned for some time. Using some professional cleaner along with elbow grease I managed to clean the throttle body the best I could before bolting everything back together. It's been around three weeks since I cleaned the throttle body and my cars had no issues since so I was pretty happy with that:) I've included a couple of images so you get the general idea of what I'm on about.

The car was running a HID kit when I brought it. Turns out these were cheap and they expanded in the casing meaning the bumper had to be removed to get them out. At the moment I'm running some ultra-bright Halfords bulbs. When these break I'll probably go back to looking at some good quality HID'S as ideally I would prefer these. I'm going to buy some new number plate bulbs soon to as the ones i have in at the moment have a green tint to them and although they look different I prefer the clear white light look. Again I can't do anything till i get paid :/
I'm also looking at the possibility of fitting a remus back back top my car. I want to fit this myself so I need to look at investing in a jack as I don't really think the one with the spare wheel is ideal? Any tips and stuff on what tools I need and how to fit a remus back box would help. I'l update this thread if and when I come around to doing this.
I have some 60/40 springs to fit at some point but at the moment cannot fit them. I know ideally coilovers would be better but I just don't have the cash to splash otherwise I would:/ I also need to try and fix the passenger side air vent as my girlfriend broke it by accident. I can't get the little plastic bit to stay attached to the four flaps!! Look forward to updating this thread:) Watch this space.

In summary my plans for the car are as follows.....

HID Kit
New number plate lights
Remus back box
60/40 Lower
Fix my passenger side air vent

( Aslo if anyone on here lives around Hinckley/ Leicestershire and wants to hang out just PM me I'm free some nights )

See less See more
#42 ·
Never had an issue with mine ( has a cold air feed ) Gives a nice noise but have noticed a drop in MPG probably because you have to drive harder to hear the sound so will be putting a panel filter back on when I get a backbox. Just had fresh rubber on the front nearside and might order some insignia jet washers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.