Corsa D, tapping, only when warm?

User Tag List

Thread: Corsa D, tapping, only when warm?

Corsa D, tapping, only when warm? Videos now up on first page

Hi chaps.
    I'm sure this has been asked, but this is a struggle finding an actual answer

I've got a 59 plate 1.4 16v with 65k on the clock.

Only just bought from a dealer who assures me this is normal, I know that it isn't.

It taps when warm, it's virtually silent when cold, but when warmed up it really taps.
    The oil was changed 2k ago, in October by main dealer.

At the moment it is going back Thursday because the exhaust is blowing after the manifold and the backbox is broken.

Is the exhaust blowing likely to influence this tapping?
    I understand they tap a little but this particularly loud.

I'm going to change the oil and filter again for peace of mind, but would like to know the right oil, the dealers from new have said 5w30 in the book, is this right?

Any advice on the tapping would be great.

It'll have the exhaust blow and new backbox Thursday and an oil and filter the weekend but I'm concerned that it's still going to tap quite a bit.

Are there any solutions?
    Is it expensive?

All questions, thanks in advance and apologies for the essay.

Edit: videos nsistent rattle.

https://youtu.be/NhSsLeSqYEw
    https://youtu.be/_tBgPgz_05M

Cheers lads
    Last edited by Davidkent; 19-04-2015 at 14:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Have you got a soundclip of the tapping and where does it seem to be coming from? Does it seem to be coming from under the bonnet or somewhere else? Do you notice it when you're parked at a set of lights etc? Corsas use a timing chain which does tap quite persistently and is incredibly annoying if you don't know what it is. I'm not kidding, it will literally drive you insane if you don't know it's something that it's going to be a problem. I know it's in the car owners code to disregard anything a dealer says because once they've got your money, who gives a rats behind, but i'm going to go with the dealer and say that this is normal. My 61 plate sxi had it on around 14k
    Girlfriends 08 SXi on the other hand runs almost silently and it's at 87k now. I'm actually astonished at the vehicle.

It's annoying you're right.
    It's a top endy noise for sure.
    Just seems too tappy. Like a corsa c on 100k would sound lol
    And only when warm :/

5. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Hi mate,

As mentioned need a sound clip, its actually easier to decipher between a rattle and a tap once play recorded,

It might be Normal for this car but problems that can occur are

The cambelt or Injector solenoids or a worn piston small end bearings/wrongly graded oil

Ticking tapping noises can be very annoying!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4
    Last edited by craig121; 17-04-2015 at 08:44.

Sounds like its you're timing chain mate they can get really rattle especially once the engine is up to temp
    Common problem on the D's

Thanks for the replies so far.
    I'm not sure if it's supposed to have a soundproof liner on the bonnet or an undertray, but it doesn't.
    I'm thinking off getting at least the bonnet liner as they generally to help make things seem quieter than they are.

For the meantime, here's some videos.

First one is a cold start. It rattles loudly for a second or two then Goes virtually silent.

Second video is when up to temperature the consistent rattle.

https://youtu.be/NhSsLeSqYEw
    https://youtu.be/_tBgPgz_05M

Cheers lads

Corsa D, tapping, only when warm?

Only diesels come with the liner on the bonnet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can hear the gasses escaping from manifold the other noise sounds more of a rattle to me and consistent with the type of noise you might get from the Cambelt, Interesting to hear the noise again once the manifold is repaired.<br>Whats the Milage and last time the cambelt was changed

P,s If you do another sound recording move the device to each side of engine slowly across.
    Last edited by craig121; 19-04-2015 at 17:30.

Sounds about right for the timing chain on the second vid. Not too dissimilar to what i'd expect. The first vid does sound a little off.

As for an undertray, the extent of the undertray is the front bumper which goes underneath level with the back of the radiator. Further back would provide the car with better aerodynamics, but would have an adverse effect on cooling.

Edit: Timing chains are designed to last the life of the vehicle, and were brought in as a replacement for cambelts which were supposed to be replaced roughly every 30k miles. The parts were swapped because many people were not replacing their cambelts at 30k, and when the belts snapped, the vehicle was a complete write off.
    Last edited by Mark3791; 19-04-2015 at 21:04.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by craig121 Click here to enlarge
    I can hear the gasses escaping from manifold the other noise sounds more of a rattle to me and consistent with the type of noise you might get from the Cambelt, Interesting to hear the noise again once the manifold is repaired.<br>Whats the Milage and last time the cambelt was changed

P,s If you do another sound recording move the device to each side of engine slowly across.
    I can't seem to find any blowing from the manifold by putting my hands around it but I wouldn't be surprised...

Doesn't seem obvious but would tie up with my Clio tapping when the exhaust broke before the cat, as applies for my bike which also taps when the down pipes are blowing.

I understand why the chain was implemented, my BMW had one and had 226k on original chain.
    65k to be tappy isn't ideal, Vauxhall seem to have got it wrong with this Imo

That said, if it happens to be blowing at the manifold, it may get quieter when fixed. But how can I tell if this is the issue? / an issue?

Mmmm...

any follow up on this? because my car does this exact same thing and it is doing my head in 2007 sxi 62k on the clock its fine on start-up cold but has a little hiss to it but when its warm i can hear it at traffics lights and everything and it is driving me around the Bend Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Hugs; 18-05-2015 at 17:52. Reason: Mistake

Not as yet though did phone the warranty Co. today Though.

Will try find somewhere decent to check it out and see if it's covered in the Wiltshire area though

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Davidkent Click here to enlarge
    Not as yet though did phone the warranty Co. today Though.

Will try find somewhere decent to check it out and see if it's covered in the Wiltshire area though
    Hey David did u get any information on this more

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thread Information