Oil pressure switch leak - contaminated ECU ?

User Tag List

Thread: Oil pressure switch leak - contaminated ECU ?

Oil pressure switch leak - contaminated ECU ?

A friend of mine owns a 2008 Corsa D 1.2sxi, with 61k, full Vauxhall service history - recently he found that the car was running a little rough and eventually the EML light came on. He took the car to his local VX dealer and had a diagnostic check and general health check done on the car. After the check they have given him details of what they found and say that the oil pressure switch has been leaking oil, which has run down the wiring loom and got into the ECU from there it has run down onto the Lamda sensor getting into the the sensor connection plug. There is a video on the report, which from underneath the car the mechanic points out the oil pressure switch, and the unplugged lambda sensor plug, which is a little oily. They have not told him what fault code came up on the diagnostic check.
    They have told him that the car needs a new ECU, a wiring loom and two lambda sensors - at a cost of just under 2 grand.
    I have owned several Corsas in the past, and am aware of problems with leaking oil pressure switches but their diagnosis of the ECU being damaged does not seem right to me.
    Has any one else encountered this sort of thing before.
    I have done a cursory search but cannot find anything similar - forgive me if I have missed the obvious.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

oil pressure switch is at the front of the engine and the ECU is at the back if am not correct ??? WTF 2 grand to fix that

I asked about this problem on another Vauxhall website and got this reply, which is interesting and something to look out for :-
    Have encountered this problem a couple of times. You do not notice the switch has failed until you plug it out. The oil light switch failure forces oil through inside of the insulation of the wire from the switch to the engine ECU. ECU plug then fills with oil and oil if forced out through the rest of the engine loom. Have seen the plugs to both O2 sensors, MAF, throttle body, injectors etc full of oil. Engine wiring loom is contaminated with oil and can trigger more fault codes than you could write down.

Best case scenario - Replace switch & bin grommet in plug to switch to prevent this happening again. Unplug & clean oil out of every connection on loom incl plug to ECU. This may have to be repeated until remaining oil in loom seeps out. Replacing loom is more effective but costly. Erase fault codes, put it back together and see how it goes.

Most likely Lambda sensors will be knackered and need changing. I have had ECU to fail because of this but very rarely. Usually cleaning oil from loom after switch replaced and new 02 sensors does the job.

If the ECU is fried get a second hand part. A good man with Tech 2 will have no bother fitting it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by corsad al Click here to enlarge
    I asked about this problem on another Vauxhall website and got this reply, which is interesting and something to look out for :-
    Have encountered this problem a couple of times. You do not notice the switch has failed until you plug it out. The oil light switch failure forces oil through inside of the insulation of the wire from the switch to the engine ECU. ECU plug then fills with oil and oil if forced out through the rest of the engine loom. Have seen the plugs to both O2 sensors, MAF, throttle body, injectors etc full of oil. Engine wiring loom is contaminated with oil and can trigger more fault codes than you could write down.

Best case scenario - Replace switch & bin grommet in plug to switch to prevent this happening again. Unplug & clean oil out of every connection on loom incl plug to ECU. This may have to be repeated until remaining oil in loom seeps out. Replacing loom is more effective but costly. Erase fault codes, put it back together and see how it goes.

Most likely Lambda sensors will be knackered and need changing. I have had ECU to fail because of this but very rarely. Usually cleaning oil from loom after switch replaced and new 02 sensors does the job.

If the ECU is fried get a second hand part. A good man with Tech 2 will have no bother fitting it.
    A little behind but how did you get on with this problem in the end?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thread Information