Loose hand brake fix?

User Tag List

Thread: Loose hand brake fix?

Loose hand brake fix?

Hey guys have a 63 plate limited edition corsa D.

My friends car handbrake as excessive play when pulling it up. I have tightened it down via the nut underneath the handbrake leather cover but it does not seem to really change anything and seems to be screwed down to its maximum already?

Is there anything else I need to be doing. Also does anyone know if this is an MOT fail. As it does hold the car but the handbrake is pulled up quite high?

Also is there anything else I should be looking at or inspecting just in case?

Any help be great

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

If it holds the car

I think if the level is near the end of its travel (i.e. pulling it all the way up) its a fail.

I wonder if the brake shoes are near the end of their life...i.e. so you need to pull the lever all the way up to get the shoes to engage with the drum.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by u33db Click here to enlarge
    If it holds the car

I think if the level is near the end of its travel (i.e. pulling it all the way up) its a fail.

I wonder if the brake shoes are near the end of their life...i.e. so you need to pull the lever all the way up to get the shoes to engage with the drum.
    Possibly. But car doesn't have that much mileage about it 50k or is that about right

5. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't say so at that mileage.

Its probably the cable has stretched/broke, or one of the springs inside the drum has broke.

Take it along to your local garage for them to check and diagnose where the issue lies. With regards to the mot, if the hand brake is able to pass the tests on the rolling road but the lever is at the end of its travel, it will pass but they will add an advisory message.

I seem to remember my son's 2012 Corsa D recently had a handbrake recall. Suggest you check with Vauxhall first.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CorsaRob Click here to enlarge
    I seem to remember my son's 2012 Corsa D recently had a handbrake recall. Suggest you check with Vauxhall first.
    Thanks for this rob. I'll see what they say.

Thread Information