Alloy Wheel buying help

User Tag List

Thread: Alloy Wheel buying help

Alloy Wheel buying help

Hey guys

I have a vauxhall corsa D 1.2 sxi 2013.

I want to buy a second set of winter tyres for my car for safety reasons.

Now I am a complete NOVICE with alloy wheels and tyre sizes etc. I literally just want exact same as I have on now but with winter tyres. But I here people say 17 inch wheel, 15inch wheel etc etc.

How do I get the info so when I go into alloy wheel shops, I know I am buying correct size / matching , and that they will fiit and not be pertruding out the sides / rubbing on suspension parts?

Thanks any help REALLY appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Size;

This will be stamped on your existing tyres - e.g for "195/55 R16" 16 inch would be the wheel size, for "215 45 17" 17 inch would be the wheel size (or you can measure accross the face with a tape measure)

Protruding or not;

This is referred to as "offset/ET"...a lower number will mean the wheels stick out further, higher will mean the wheel sits further into the arch.

If you pull your wheel off the ET number is usually stamped on the rear of the wheel spokes but its usually around ET41 for 16/17 vauxhall wheels so stick with that.

Fitting or not;

This is referred to as bolt PCD (how far away the bolts are from each other) and centre bore (whether the hole in the centre of the wheel behind the cap fits over the hub).

For a 4 stud/bolt vauxhalls the PCD is always "4 x 100" or "5 x 110" for 5 stud so stick with whichever one you have
    For the Corsa centre bore is 65.1mm so stick with this.

For simplicity sake i would recommend you forget about wheels and just fit winter tyres to your existing wheels, thereby saving vast cost, the hassle of storing 2 sets of wheels and you can put the money toward GOOD winter tyres.
    You can use winter tyres all year round anyway and you won't notice any performance loss (well not on a SXI), and they'll handle/wear near enough the same.
    FYI I run winter tyres all year on my 1.4 and my 1.6 turbo...its only on the turbo when REALLY booting it i notice a difference in handling so its not the issue people will make out.

If you must buy a set of wheels i personally just grab a used set off ebay rather than buying new...you can usually get a set of "D" wheels for around 200 vs the 400+ you'll pay at an alloy shop.

The bonus with this is if you smash one on a bad road you can replace it for cheap.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by u33db Click here to enlarge
    Size;

This will be stamped on your existing tyres - e.g for "195/55 R16" 16 inch would be the wheel size, for "215 45 17" 17 inch would be the wheel size (or you can measure accross the face with a tape measure)

Protruding or not;

This is referred to as "offset/ET"...a lower number will mean the wheels stick out further, higher will mean the wheel sits further into the arch.

If you pull your wheel off the ET number is usually stamped on the rear of the wheel spokes but its usually around ET41 for 16/17 vauxhall wheels so stick with that.

Fitting or not;

This is referred to as bolt PCD (how far away the bolts are from each other) and centre bore (whether the hole in the centre of the wheel behind the cap fits over the hub).

For a 4 stud/bolt vauxhalls the PCD is always "4 x 100" or "5 x 110" for 5 stud so stick with whichever one you have
    For the Corsa centre bore is 65.1mm so stick with this.

For simplicity sake i would recommend you forget about wheels and just fit winter tyres to your existing wheels, thereby saving vast cost, the hassle of storing 2 sets of wheels and you can put the money toward GOOD winter tyres.
    You can use winter tyres all year round anyway and you won't notice any performance loss (well not on a SXI), and they'll handle/wear near enough the same.
    FYI I run winter tyres all year on my 1.4 and my 1.6 turbo...its only on the turbo when REALLY booting it i notice a difference in handling so its not the issue people will make out.

If you must buy a set of wheels i personally just grab a used set off ebay rather than buying new...you can usually get a set of "D" wheels for around 200 vs the 400+ you'll pay at an alloy shop.

The bonus with this is if you smash one on a bad road you can replace it for cheap.
    Amazing U33. Always go above and beyond mate. That was a fully schooling lesson in a single post! Lol. Thanks again. I was just going to get some cheap alloys off ebay. And I will consider just running winter tyres on them. Your a legend cheers!

5. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

No worries, the only other thing to be aware of is wheel width, as there are some width of tyres you can't fit to some width of wheels.

Best thing to do would be to post up the wheels you want to buy with the tyre size you want and we can tell you if its ok.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by u33db Click here to enlarge
    No worries, the only other thing to be aware of is wheel width, as there are some width of tyres you can't fit to some width of wheels.

Best thing to do would be to post up the wheels you want to buy with the tyre size you want and we can tell you if its ok.
    Thanks will do I'll kept you posted on it thanks again

Thread Information