Replace rear shock absorbers - which ones?!

User Tag List

Thread: Replace rear shock absorbers - which ones?!

Replace rear shock absorbers - which ones?!

Hi,
    I need to replace the rear shock absorbers on my wifes 2011 Corsa D (1.2i 16V), looking around the prices seem to vary wildly so really looking to some advise on what to go for. It's just stock and used for town driving, nothing exciting!
    (Also, replace the pair, or just the leaking one?)

Eurocarparts has Anschler for £74.99 each
    Ebay has Continental Direct ones for £24.14 (http://r.ebay.com/JJTLw6)
    Mister Auto has various, from Bolk at £15.20 up to Bilstein at £59.30

So, do you get what you pay for? They are all gas pressure shocks, all compatible and all appear similar construction, so if they're not being hammered on tracks, etc and used as second car/for my wife to get to and from work, do I go middle diddle?

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andyb2000 Click here to enlarge
    Hi,
    I need to replace the rear shock absorbers on my wifes 2011 Corsa D (1.2i 16V), looking around the prices seem to vary wildly so really looking to some advise on what to go for. It's just stock and used for town driving, nothing exciting!
    (Also, replace the pair, or just the leaking one?)

Eurocarparts has Anschler for £74.99 each
    Ebay has Continental Direct ones for £24.14 (http://r.ebay.com/JJTLw6)
    Mister Auto has various, from Bolk at £15.20 up to Bilstein at £59.30

So, do you get what you pay for? They are all gas pressure shocks, all compatible and all appear similar construction, so if they're not being hammered on tracks, etc and used as second car/for my wife to get to and from work, do I go middle diddle?

Cheers!
    Hey Andy mate. I had this same issue when I replaced my wife's about 2 years ago. In the end I got the ebay continental direct ones. Cheap and do the price as my wife was the same not a racer or anything like that just someone that pots around. They have lasted until now. So just looked at my service documents I replaced them In Aug 2016 at 18k miles and they are currently fine in 2018 with 28k miles on them. Just had MOT June and nothing brought to attention. Only thing I wish I had done is spray painted them (just the black part) with some undercoat minium just an extra layer of primer and black spray paint as they do have slight light rust chips in them and I just hate that but I am picky about that stuff. So for your wife I would go just mid range for the type of driving she seems to do.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Great, thanks pal that's what I was after, will get those ordered and get it done at the weekend, one less thing to worry about since MOT is looming!
    Much appreciated

5. Remove Advertisements
    UKCorsa-D.com
    Advertisements

Cheap and cheerful is the way especially for your use. If you intend to keep it longer paying that extra bit will save you in the long run.

Aye, that's what I went for, was pretty straight forward, except found that the bump stop/dust cover were in pieces, so they were no good (had to order more) so will be re-doing it when they arrive.
    I've also got a bit of a thump when I hit a bad pothole (I know, try to avoid them!) so I'm wondering if there is a little more rattle in the bottom bolt or top mount than on the factory fits. I'm going to re-do everything when the bump stops arrive and see how I get on, but I'm thinking they're not as snug a fit so giving a little play when pressure is released on movement.

Aye, that's what I went for, was pretty straight forward, except found that the bump stop/dust cover were in pieces, so they were no good (had to order more) so will be re-doing it when they arrive.
    I've also got a bit of a thump when I hit a bad pothole (I know, try to avoid them!) so I'm wondering if there is a little more rattle in the bottom bolt or top mount than on the factory fits. I'm going to re-do everything when the bump stops arrive and see how I get on, but I'm thinking they're not as snug a fit so giving a little play when pressure is released on movement.
    Yeah this happened to me. I never had them as tight as I should and the slight play was causing this annoying rattle sound

Was it top mount (the nut around the top with torx to fasten) that you think was the one that needed a bit more or the bottom bolt? I'm thinking it'll be the top, which unfortunately the torx are quite soft metal as I felt it slip on mine when tightening (I'm now seeing the cheap part!)

Was it top mount (the nut around the top with torx to fasten) that you think was the one that needed a bit more or the bottom bolt? I'm thinking it'll be the top, which unfortunately the torx are quite soft metal as I felt it slip on mine when tightening (I'm now seeing the cheap part!)
    Yeah it was the top nut. Ordered new screws and bolts from website AutoVaux the second time I had to do I to just have all new stuff.

Thread Information