Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, this is my first "proper" posting on here, ive posted on the newbies section though!

Right, yesterday on my 1.3cdti (75 hp) i decided to check what crap was inside the airbox and air filter, now ive done 16k miles (the vauxhall 20k service is madess IMO but i'll go into that another time)

This is the first time ive opened the air filter box, easy 4 star type screws to remove the lid.

Inside was as you would expect really, a few bits of straw and hay from summer(did we have one!), a few dried leaves, general dust.

I sucked that lot out with the vacuum cleaner in 10 secs...then thought id try out a large cone k&n style air filter i had lying around in the garage from a old Charade setup.

It clmped straight on, pure luck the filter inlet bore was exactly right, so in literly 30 seconds it was fitted and tight, and it even rests inside the base of the airbox, looks great!

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6751/20092007xs2.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6646/20092007001un6.jpg

Now the road test.....

at first instance i thought this was going to be good cheapo mod, more turbo noise of course. But i can say this now..

It felt CRAP! Car lost the classic turbo diesel torque surge at low revs and felt dead!

Complete waste of time.

I felt defeated! :x

I got home, lifted bonnet and proceded to refit the OE filter back on.

Looking at the OE filter though and its quite strange...look...

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1584/20092007003eq7.jpg

The filter is conventional paper media, but its also covered in a foam sytle cotton outer.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1504/20092007002la2.jpg

Dirty yes, but that is 16k worth.

So next mod, pull the odd outer bit off to leave a much cleaner normal looking air filter. Also got the vacuum cleaner back out and sucked any crap out of the filter.

Fitted it back in car and test drive number 2!

MUCH BETTER! Even than before i started fiddling.

This odd filter with the extra bit on the outside maybe something to do with getting longer life out of them for the 20k service interval, or maybe better noise surpression , im not sure, but its not needed.

So pull yours off and enjoy better economy and power....wel, its not going to be any worse thats for sure.

Now dont go thinking "i bet a K&N style panel filter will be best...well it may flow very slightly better..but..that comes at a cost in terms of filtration... the performace panel filters never filter as well as OE spec paper style. FACT!

Dont believe the hype! Save your pennies on this one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wel if everyone has the weirdo extra cloth layer air filter like mine, just pull it off and trim the slight remains off with scissors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
throttle pedal

under the accelerator pedal their is a big plastic circle in the carpet which stops the pedal going right down to the floor.it is about 1 inch thick ,take it away and the pedal will go down further,it gives a higher top end speed in top gear on the motorway i got 116mph out o my 1.3sxi cdti (90hp)

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
under the accelerator pedal their is a big plastic circle in the carpet which stops the pedal going right down to the floor.it is about 1 inch thick ,take it away and the pedal will go down further,it gives a higher top end speed in top gear on the motorway i got 116mph out o my 1.3sxi cdti (90hp)
Does that actually work? I was tempted to do it when I first got the car, but decided against it.

Got any pictures of it without it there?

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
Does that actually work? I was tempted to do it when I first got the car, but decided against it.

Got any pictures of it without it there?
Was wondering myself about doing it. How would you go about doing it?

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
Not really mate :S lol mines just screwed right off lol. You culd try pulling it at the same time you are turning it?

It might be diff due to diff models of the corsa :S lol. not to sure though.

Theres a hole in the carpet underneath it and you can see the paintwork but with the shape of the foot well and with the other carpet being there it dosnt touch the paint work.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Before reading this i got the car up to 117mph with that black thing in place
and i had 3 people on board and light was on for fuel i only have 75 bhp
not tried any top speed run since remove but with the cdti it goes faster and accelerates faster at 75% throttle well that’s what i find anyway maybe just me

update :> just ripped that stupid foam thingy off sounds a little better not drove it yet as i am tired working double shifts just now
thanks guys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts