Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 1.7 cdti for about 5 months now, have got used to the lag.
Yes when I first got it I actually thought it was quite a danger pulling out from a junction quickly or going round a bus under the magic 2k revs.

Now, it doesn't bother me, if you want to get away quickly just give it some revs and it'll shift. The main thing I like about it is that it pulls brilliantly when I'm doing 40+ and need to get get round things quickly.

It's a diesel so needs driving differently anyway, stop moaning about the bloomin 1.7 cdti, it looks good and is fairly nifty. It's cheap to insure and road tax is low.
Come on guys it's a Vauxhall not a Merc or a Lexus! Blimey my mate's new Merc has been back in the garage 5 times, it's a piece of rubbish!

If I was going to criticise anything about my diesel Corsa it'd be things that are typical to all the engines. The visibility is fairly crap since the side pillars get in the way at junctions, if you're over 5' 9" high, even the rear view mirror obstructs the view of the front. Whoever thought of the indicator and wiper switches using the up one, up 2 and down again cancellation method needs shooting, utter rubbish!! Oh and before I forget, the light on off switch positioning means you have to crane around the steering wheel to see what position it's on and the fact the lights switch off when you turn the engine off is bad as well since it's easy to drive off again in the morning not realising your lights are full on because you haven't switched them back round again.
While I'm on the subject...why do some non Volvo drivers drive around with their lights on all the time and particularly why do a number t*&[email protected] continue to put their fog lights on just because it's dark? Don't they realise that everyone's looking at them thinking "brain dead!" If it aint foggy keep your sodding fogs off !!

Ah yes the Corsa D!, It's got a lot of good points but is far from perfect.
Would I get another after the 2-3 years changeover period? Unlikely, but good enough to keep since there's also a lot of far worse cars out there!

Did I mention the slight burning smell I still get from mine sometimes after a "revvy" drive ?? Gawd knows....

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Whoever thought of the indicator and wiper switches using the up one, up 2 and down again cancellation method needs shooting, utter rubbish!!

Oh and before I forget, the light on off switch positioning means you have to crane around the steering wheel to see what position it's on and the fact the lights switch off when you turn the engine off is bad as well since it's easy to drive off again in the morning not realising your lights are full on because you haven't switched them back round again.

While I'm on the subject...why do some non Volvo drivers drive around with their lights on all the time and particularly why do a number t*&[email protected] continue to put their fog lights on just because it's dark? Don't they realise that everyone's looking at them thinking "brain dead!" If it aint foggy keep your sodding fogs off !!
I first came across those 'crap' indicators, and window wipers in my dad's old Astra, and I thought they were absolute rubbish! But since I've had my Corsa, I've grown to like them, and would be grudged going back to the other ones.

The light thing annoys me, but only on a morning, if I've been driving at night, as the lights are on, and when I start driving, I see the little light sign, and turn them off. I think they're superb, especially when they go off when you turn the car off, so you won't forget your lights are on, and drain the battery.

I think Vovlo's have something built in, so that the lights come on, when it's a bit dark (ish), but the majority of them are on in bright daylight. I think it's an option you can get on the Corsa, or maybe Vectra... When it gets dark, the lights come on. Good idea in theory, but would be annoying after a while. Especially when they come on, when it isn't even dark!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Nice rant, I disagree with some points but agree with many, Indicator's need shot off for sure, Stupid design.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
My lights come on automatically when it gets dark, They have done me well so far only turning on when it is getting dark and harder to see, Dipped lights that is:)

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
How can you not like the indicators? I think they're ingenius. So much better, and easier than the regular indicators.
Sometime you have to turn them off manually when you come off roundabouts because the road doesnt straighten and when you do the margin between off and indicating in the direction is tiny i find, They need to be flicked sort of, The couple of flashes idea does nothing really. Rant over

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Sometime you have to turn them off manually when you come off roundabouts because the road doesnt straighten and when you do the margin between off and indicating in the direction is tiny i find, They need to be flicked sort of, The couple of flashes idea does nothing really. Rant over
Just swerve a bit, and they go off, that's what I usually do, so the wheel goes past the straight point, and they turn off. Or if it's too straight, then I just flick them off.

The three flashes is good for motorway when I pull out. Well, when I decide to indicate too.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I gotta admit when I test drove the 1.7 I was quite impressed with over 2k performance. Now the fact I gotta wait till december / january for my sri and potter round in my 1.2 sxi up until then I should be fairly happy with the performance when I get it.

One question..... Can you fit an anti lag kit on a diesel? I know you can do it on a petrol ( cumin from a rally head youd think I should know). As you can see Im thinking ahead hehe. Reason being it may somewhat rectify the fault & id love to have the corsa poppin nd banging hehe :p I know itd be a big job as youd have to change the standard exhaust aswell, and may not be cost effective, just an idea i've had!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ok a couple of points.

Its obvious this 1.7 is your first diesel as this is not how they all drive. I have always had a diesel car and driven many more than i remember. The 1.7 is the worst yet. My previous corsa C 1.7 had no where near the amount of lag and wasnt that much slower than the D. My current 1.9 astra also has very little lag. Also with most of the other diesels i have owned i had no where near as much changing gears to get the bloody thing going. even my 1.5TD corsa B would pull me from 40 to 70mph in 5th quicker than the D. As for pulling away at junctions not everyone wants to be reving the nadgers off their car n looking like a tool, there is pulling away quickly n there is driving like a chav. The car when cold was a death trap especially as i treat MY cars properly and let them warm up before driving them hard.
There is a hill outside my flat and both the 1.7 and 1.3 90ps corsa could not get up it in 2nd gear when the car was cold so i had to use 1st. my previous corsa went up no bother even a bloody 10 year old brava pick up fully loaded went up it a dam sight quicker than the 1.7 This is bad engineering in my eyes.
Vauxhall themselves even admit it is not one of their best engines.

If the lights bother you that much you should of got auto lights.

The burning smell is probably your clutch.

Now I await all your witty n childish comebacks saying how wrong i am.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Saw this on another (VXR) forum about changing the two stage indicators to normal ones, no idea if it works though...........

key in, but ignition off, pull both stalks until you hear a beep... use left stalk to select a setting, then the right stalk to change status or input a value

P1 - Welcome lights, on/off
P2 - Auto Rear wiper (comes on when reverse is selected with main wipers on)
P3 - Touch control for indicators, on/off - 3 flashes for lane change
P4 - Automatic door & tailgate locking, on/off - above aprox 10mph
P5 - Separate driver door unlocking, on/off - one click opens all doors & boot
P6 - Speed limiter warning, on/off
P7 - Warning tones volume, 1-5

pull both stalks again until you hear a beep to store.

Note - if you dawdle it'll revert to the previous settings so don't hang about!

Oh, and it takes the settings from the key, so do the same for the spare!key in, but ignition off, pull both stalks until you hear a beep... use left stalk to select a setting, then the right stalk to change status or input a value

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Ok a couple of points.

Its obvious this 1.7 is your first diesel as this is not how they all drive. I have always had a diesel car and driven many more than i remember. The 1.7 is the worst yet. My previous corsa C 1.7 had no where near the amount of lag and wasnt that much slower than the D. My current 1.9 astra also has very little lag. Also with most of the other diesels i have owned i had no where near as much changing gears to get the bloody thing going. even my 1.5TD corsa B would pull me from 40 to 70mph in 5th quicker than the D. As for pulling away at junctions not everyone wants to be reving the nadgers off their car n looking like a tool, there is pulling away quickly n there is driving like a chav. The car when cold was a death trap especially as i treat MY cars properly and let them warm up before driving them hard.
There is a hill outside my flat and both the 1.7 and 1.3 90ps corsa could not get up it in 2nd gear when the car was cold so i had to use 1st. my previous corsa went up no bother even a bloody 10 year old brava pick up fully loaded went up it a dam sight quicker than the 1.7 This is bad engineering in my eyes.
Vauxhall themselves even admit it is not one of their best engines.

If the lights bother you that much you should of got auto lights.

The burning smell is probably your clutch.

Now I await all your witty n childish comebacks saying how wrong i am.
Your gay LOL, Only joking mate. Everyone has there own opinion i suppose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jonny, one bad car doesn't make the whole lot rubbish.

There are plenty of hills around my house which I have to go up 1st thing in the morning and after the usual 2 minute diesel warm up it handles those just fine.

I handle my car with the upmost respect since i want it to last a good 2-3 years before i change it, I do not rev it like a chav at junctions and the chance of me burning my clutch out are zero.

I used to have a TT through work and that used to be a git to get away quick at the lights until the Turbo kicked in and I could ctach the 1.1 Fiesta owner who had pulled away quicker than me!

I fully agree that this diesel engine is bad at low revs but on top of that you clearly had a duff one. Try not to let your bitterness over your car cloud your ability to make practical judgements and try not to base everything you say around snidey assumptions on how you think I may drive my car and that it's just possible that you may not be correct in everything you say!

Move on.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
havent vx sorted the peobs out with the newer 1.7 CDTi engines with a new map thats come out? Maybe thats what the car needs.. if not add a tuning box and from what i've read on here that sorts it out :\

Still think they should of put the 1.9 CDTi 120 16v engine in it :\

1 - 20 of 21 Posts