Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning.

I've been looking at the K-Sport big brake kit but it seems they only make them for the VXR. Does anyone know if they fit on the 1.7 CDTi, I'm pretty sure the VXR and the 1.7 have the same mounting points for the standard caliper, just the VXR has slightly bigger rotors and caliper but surely this wouldn't matter if the K-Sport calipers fit on the same mounting points, Am I wrong and spouting total shite?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Logic is there, both 5 stud so that ain’t a issue, I’d call you’re parts guys and see if they’ll cross reference you a 1.7 cdti disc and a vxr disc. Even talk to someone like regal or Courtney one of the vx tuning firms.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rotors are not the same diameter etc. I'm pretty sure the wheel hubs are the same so the caliper mounting points will be identical meaning the big brake conversion will work on either car surely. Was hoping someone on here has already fitted them to a 1.7. Since posting the previous post I've noticed that replacement rotors are nigh on the same price as the whole kit so to hell with paying that amount of wedge every 18mths or so.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
It was 20 odd years ago when I was running it but I had a 306 td and ran ebc with red stuff pads and would get 10,000 with the pads and 20 with the discs, and that got thrashed every time, would’ve thought they’ll be a similar weight and power given is had it tweaked to 130 bhp

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently have green stuff pads, and Mtec drilled and grooved at the mo. I'm running about 200 bhp and they last roughly about 8000+ miles. I do sometimes do some spirited driving though. My car goes through tyres and brakes like I go through takeaways 😊 I find the pads like butter, they have good stopping power when there's no brake fade.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
  1. Tbh, you ain’t doing that bad at 8k for pads especially if you’re “keeping up with the flow of traffic” officer ahem! There’s always the option of cav gsi as they’re 5 stud but not sure of cost and fitting, beside if you’re on top of changing pads then changing them gets easier each time and spending£1000 on a big brake conversion pays for a lot of pads and discs. Of course if you don’t mind that then big brakes here we come!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changing the brakes is easy peasey, done it so many times I could probably do it with my eyes closed. I've got 18" wheels and the teeny tiny rotors and calipers don't look too good sitting behind them. Big brake conversion will look the nuts but spending £600 replacing pads and rotors every year or so is just a bit excessive. What are the Cav GSI ones like? Think I'll just resort to the same rotors from Mtec as they're good and look alot better than stock, some braided lines and a different set of pads. Been looking at the Black Diamond Predators as I've read some good things about them. Maybe they'll last longer than the Greenstuffs. I've got to rebuild the caliper with piston and seals at the same time aswell 😭 gonna be a fun days work soon.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Yeah cav ones went under a 16 inch one but that was old school 200bhp, would think with 200 from a 1.7 diesel it’ll pull nicely, heard it’s relatively easy to get 170 from them with a chip, then filter and chimney, she’s gonna be handy off a roundabout, suprise a few Bmw’s no doubt. I’m guessing astra h 1.9 cdti brake conversion wouldn’t fit would it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah its pretty quick from 0-80 then it's a bit gutsey. Think I've got as much I can without a bigger turbo etc. The gearboxes are **** so don't want too much torque going through it. It's already eaten 2 gearboxes in the last 4 years. Still on the original clutch from new though and it's done 130k miles (mainly motorway miles). Haven't looked at the Astra brake kits but was just thinking about the Corsa Nürburgring brakes. They should bolt straight on I'm guessing, that's if the carrier bolts are the same on the hub.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Yeah, vxr neverbeen kit might well be an idea, don’t know how different they are to standard vxr or club sport kit though. Might be worth a chat to regal or courtnay see what they know. Vxr8 brakes? If they can stop a 5.7 v8 then a corsa ain’t gonna trouble them, even standard discs and pads would do, plus they’d look good under the 18’s 😝 just don’t mention Audi rs 6 calipers or Porsche 996 ones. Still if the wallet is willing . . .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VXR8 brakes maybe a bit overkill. Haha. Think the nürburgring calipers are 4 pot Brembos whereas the normal VXR are just like the ones on my car just a tad bigger.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Vxr8’s might be overkill, but nobody will sit on your arse once you dab them! 😝 suppose you’d have to get autowindscreens on speed dial if they were fitted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts