Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, imagine you are at a standstill at some lights with a straight road ahead whilst in your 1.7cdti 125bhp corsa... you want to get to 100mph as fast you possibly can...

At what rpm should you change up?..

I have a tendancy of revvin it high when racing cos i was used to a petrol before.. but as i understand this isnt the best use of turbo etc..

·
Registered
635 Posts
not the best idea for diesels, for the best speed you want to change when your torque is at its highest, for that you need to put it on a rolling road to find the optimum rpm to change gear

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
not the best idea for diesels, for the best speed you want to change when your torque is at its highest, for that you need to put it on a rolling road to find the optimum rpm to change gear
Thats it you want to keep the engine always in the peak torque band. Keep it between 2-3k and you should be fine

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got these figures from wikipedia.. what exactly are they telling me? That I should change at 4000 rpm?

Power - 125 PS (92 kW; 123 hp) at 4,000 rpm
Torque - 280 N·m (207 lb·ft) at 2,300 rpm

·
Registered
635 Posts
no, that basically says your peak torque is at 2300rpm, anything after that and your torque reduces. your peak power (BHP) is at 4000rpm

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
Try and keep the engine around 2-2500 rpm then you will get the full torque. Also the MPG will go up. Diesels love torque as they are lazy where as petrol love revs. You can rev a diesel but will get no gain. To put it into context at 2,300rpm your car is making more torque than a stock Corsa vxr at full boost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts