Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure everyone does... I have become a little bit bored of my car... Its a 1.3CDTI Limited Edition. I have had it remapped and was told it was roughly running 100-105bhp... this was a fair few months ago and I feel like I want yet more power out of it, I have heard that fitting a better intercooler helps but I dont think there would be much gains. So then I have looked into fitting a 1.7CDTI turbo onto mine, I have searched the forums and nobody is 100% clear about it and as far as im aware of nobody has actually tried it? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Get 1 and try it

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
You'll never know unless you try

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Its been done before by a guy that sold it all up in the end. Hr fitted a 1.7 turbo. And upgraded intercooler and custom mapped it. Decated his too. He had the 90 PS engine and saw around 160 BHP. He wasn't particularly smart with it . He didn't upgrade his gearbox and in the end destroyed it. Also he never upgraded his brakes or his suspenion. Hr made alot of mistakes. However mistakes we can all learn from. I advice getting the bigger turbo. Having hybrid internals fitted to it(this will remove the lag) upgrade all piping and intercooler and induction. For a stainless exhaust system with sports cat. And then find a fully custom remapper. The only thing you'll need to do with the turbo is wind the boost back a little. Also upgrading the re circ valve and the fuel pump is a wise addition although not totally necessary. People on the forum mocked him continuously as he didint provide evidence to them so he left forum too. I wanted to do all this however after all the research it become quite costly. Still cheaper than a z 20 conversion and unique and more economical so get researching buddy lol

·
Registered
489 Posts
So why not trade it in against a 1.7 it would be cheaper to do that short and long term. Also the 1.3 will not get to 160bhp if he had done that there would be proof in form of a dyno reading.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its been done before by a guy that sold it all up in the end. Hr fitted a 1.7 turbo. And upgraded intercooler and custom mapped it. Decated his too. He had the 90 PS engine and saw around 160 BHP. He wasn't particularly smart with it . He didn't upgrade his gearbox and in the end destroyed it. Also he never upgraded his brakes or his suspenion. Hr made alot of mistakes. However mistakes we can all learn from. I advice getting the bigger turbo. Having hybrid internals fitted to it(this will remove the lag) upgrade all piping and intercooler and induction. For a stainless exhaust system with sports cat. And then find a fully custom remapper. The only thing you'll need to do with the turbo is wind the boost back a little. Also upgrading the re circ valve and the fuel pump is a wise addition although not totally necessary. People on the forum mocked him continuously as he didint provide evidence to them so he left forum too. I wanted to do all this however after all the research it become quite costly. Still cheaper than a z 20 conversion and unique and more economical so get researching buddy lol
Sounds like a long an exensive trail just to probs get an extra 30-40 bhp... rather just save my mone and get a faster car lol. Thanks for the info though :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
There where many other additions to his build than just intercooler and turbo. I simply explained how much work it took to make the upgrades work. 160 was achieved after many additions while seeking high power. Fact is anything can be done just a question of how much time and money you have.

Get the beast remapped new induction and zorst will be all that's economical to do with the lil engine. Rebel offer a great gain.

No ones done this yet though. Drop a 1.9cdti in there. Would be a beast !

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There where many other additions to his build than just intercooler and turbo. I simply explained how much work it took to make the upgrades work. 160 was achieved after many additions while seeking high power. Fact is anything can be done just a question of how much time and money you have.

Get the beast remapped new induction and zorst will be all that's economical to do with the lil engine. Rebel offer a great gain.

No ones done this yet though. Drop a 1.9cdti in there. Would be a beast !
Think rather than messing about, its time I got myself a quicker car, found a decent car that not many people have thats cheap on insurance so might go with that :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
158 bhp yeah and my d is faster then an bmw m5 as ive done lots of mods to it so it must be true. Show a dyno reading and pics and what you say might have some factual basis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really old thread but people really **** on smaller engines when really, the laws of engine displacement and fuel economy come into play, you will 100% get more mpg to power out a smaller engine than a 1.7 or the 1.9 the 1.3 is more economical, so why wouldn't you want to upgrade and dabble with it? Plus it's lighter than the 1.7 and 1.9. Yeah granted it won't be a full on power machine but it would easily reach 160 maybe abit more without full on going the forged route. Any reputable remapper with a full intake system, I don't mean a cone filter like proper, hard piping 0.5. -, 1inch extra diameter from the filter to the intake of the turbo, and then the same from the compressor housing to the intercooler back to the intake manifold you don't want much more because of losing turbulence. Which makes loss of power.

I'm deffo going to do this to mine, also upgraded intercooler too, but try and get a black one, as it actually has better heat disappating properties
(Google it its been proven).

Also if you know someone who fabricates or you do yourself, tubular manifold will help over the cast log that is there already, this is mega restricted, it will not be hard to do if you're handy, again I will be doing this too down the road.

Also the 1.7 turbo from my knowledge is a straight fit but if you make the manifold or get one made you can fit this anyway even if it's not a 100% direct fit.

Straight pipe decat obviously, upgraded fuel pump, obviously the injectors will be maxed at around 160 from what I know I don't know of upgraded injectors but maybe some one does.

IF you actually know how to drive a car and aren't a standing wheel spin look at me idiot then the box and clutch will be fine take care of it and it will take care of you abuse it and it will blow up 5speed boxes are stronger than the 6 speeds.

And blank the egr and mushroom in the intake, this would not cost much to do at all if you're mechanically minded. An intercooler and piping is 200 quid, egr plate 3 quid, upgraded pump 200 quid, tubular manifold 300 - 400 straight pipe 20 quid, turbo depending on if you buy one second hand but about 150 - 200 remap 200 quid. Easy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts