Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start my car yesterday, was about 50º F and noticed that the car felt like it had a misfire. Was not running properly. Car has 109,000 km and properly maintained. Although it sat from 2018 until 2020 as I was out of the country. Last oil and filter change was 5k kilometers ago. I normally do the service myself but took it to a repair shop and the idiots overfilled the oil. They put in 5 quarts instead of the 3.5 it requires. Drove around 2,000 km like this until I checked the oil and saw it was overfilled. This was last month, drained the oil and put in the correct amount.

Anyway, my first thought was to check air filter, MAF sensor. Removed intake and noticed some water droplets by the MAF connection to the filter housing. Thought that was really odd. Looked around didn't see anything else odd.

Started up again and went for a ride, car went back to normal. All restarts were fine. Today again went to start in the am and same issue. I reved it up to 1500 rpm and let down and seems once it warms up it is fine.

I was thinking the issue could be glow plugs. There are no check engine lights on or anything. Someone else told me it could be the chain tensioners causing this issue? I was wondering since the idiots overfilled the oil if this could have caused an issue in the tensioners/ chain? I doubt it but never know.

This is not my video but the car sounds like this, you can hear the idle missing.

Any ideas? Was thinking of replacing glow plugs to see if that makes a difference. Will check their voltage first, but only thing I think might be causing this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be the hydraulic chain tensioner as after 14 seconds it quietens down if it was the chain being too stretched i would expect it to do it all the time.
If it were the hydraulic chain tensioner causing the misfires, wouldn't it do it at all times regardless if it was cold or not? Seems like this is a known bad part with these engines? Is there a way to check it? Been doing some searches regarding it but have not found anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,355 Posts
I meant the noise its making not a misfire if you have a misfire but it runs OK when warm and the chain isn't noisy it probably isn't the tensioner.
Have a look at my won't start thread in the general forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, didn't get a chance to do anything before it took a dive again. Went to start it today, cranked but no start, cranked again and it started normally. Went on my way, 600 meters from home dropping my daughter off at the bus stop, was sitting there running normally waiting for the bus and it died. Restarted, then it died again and would just crank. Got it to restart but as soon as I tried to move, give it gas, it would die. Then it would just crank with no start. Sat for an hour, tow truck came and I pushed it out of where I was parked to load it on the flatbed and before loading it I tried to start it and it started, drove up on the flat bed. Took it to the repair shop, came off the flatbed in neutral and it would just crank.

Now let's see what the repair shop finds and the damage to the wallet.

No lights on dash, no weird sounds. I was thinking timing chain as it would crank really smooth, like low compression typical of when timing is off. Noticed smoke out the tailpipe through the mirror, whiteish.

Going through the threads, I see there is an issue in this model with ECU being flooded. Both times this has happened it has rained, I left the car outside the garage and water drops off my house roof right where the car sits. Usually hits the headlight area but I assume wind could take it up further and flood the scuttle. I am going to feel very, very, very stupid if the culprit is a flooded ECU. What a crap design!! Out of all the places to put an ECU! Funny enough, I was going to check yesterday but didn't have time. I am going to kick myself in the nuts if this is the issue. I assume if it is this that the ECU is toast?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well, didn't get a chance to do anything before it took a dive again. Went to start it today, cranked but no start, cranked again and it started normally. Went on my way, 600 meters from home dropping my daughter off at the bus stop, was sitting there running normally waiting for the bus and it died. Restarted, then it died again and would just crank. Got it to restart but as soon as I tried to move, give it gas, it would die. Then it would just crank with no start. Sat for an hour, tow truck came and I pushed it out of where I was parked to load it on the flatbed and before loading it I tried to start it and it started, drove up on the flat bed. Took it to the repair shop, came off the flatbed in neutral and it would just crank.

Now let's see what the repair shop finds and the damage to the wallet.

No lights on dash, no weird sounds. I was thinking timing chain as it would crank really smooth, like low compression typical of when timing is off. Noticed smoke out the tailpipe through the mirror, whiteish.

Going through the threads, I see there is an issue in this model with ECU being flooded. Both times this has happened it has rained, I left the car outside the garage and water drops off my house roof right where the car sits. Usually hits the headlight area but I assume wind could take it up further and flood the scuttle. I am going to feel very, very, very stupid if the culprit is a flooded ECU. What a crap design!! Out of all the places to put an ECU! Funny enough, I was going to check yesterday but didn't have time. I am going to kick myself in the nuts if this is the issue. I assume if it is this that the ECU is toast?
Initially my head is saying fuelling but since it's the diesel model in thinking maybe ECU wet issue.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,355 Posts
. I am going to feel very, very, very stupid if the culprit is a flooded ECU. What a crap design!! Out of all the places to put an ECU! Funny enough, I was going to check yesterday but didn't have time. I am going to kick myself in the nuts if this is the issue. I assume if it is this that the ECU is toast?

No need to feel stupid as like all diesel corsa owners we were not to know VX would mount the ECU in such a stupid place (see thread below)

You may be lucky and it may not be the ECU as your problems are intermittent, my car wouldn't start and it turned out the ECU was water damaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts