Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sorry if this isn’t the right thread I’m new.

I’ve noticed the last couple of weeks when I get out my car after a journey there is an air hissing noise, imagine what air sounds like when escaping a tyre, only my tyres are fine and holding the air and the noise stops after about 30 seconds. I can’t hear it from inside the car when driving but that could be because of the engine noises but soon as I get out I can hear it and it’s loud enoughthat my partner said what’s that noise and he was a few meters away. Any idea? MOT was done in April and passed no advisories

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are your brakes operating correctly?
After it has been parked for an hour do you have a vacuum reserve when pressing the pedal with the engine off?
The MoT is a very basic check of the car.
i only use my car once a week but yes they feel okay I can’t say I’ve felt any resistance but I also don’t really pay attention so I’ll press them tomorrow and see. Sigh suppose I better get booked into the garage

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
So I’ve just been out and pumped the break, got two pumps then went hard, too hard to press down again
If you can pump it i think Koicarpkeeper got it right earlier in the thread when he said -
Brake servo chamber not holding a vacuum.
It needs to be looked at and soon to make sure its not something that could fail and cause an accident.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you can pump it i think Koicarpkeeper got it right earlier in the thread when he said -

It needs to be looked at and soon to make sure its not something that could fail and cause an accident.
Thanks. I could only pump it twice then went hard but it’ll still get it checked. I noticed tonight when I pulled up to my house there was water(? doesn’t look like oil) that looks to have leaked/spilt? Ignore the angle I pulled in weird haha

edit: I don’t have air con
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Car

·
Registered
13 Posts
THREADS MERGED.

i posted the other day about an air escaping noise and has advice it may be the Brake servo chamber not holding a vacuum. I did the pump of pedal tests and it did go hard after 2 pumps. However since then I’ve now noticed water (or maybe coolant) on the ground so more worried it’s my cylinder gasket

the air escaping noise continues for around 30 seconds after the engine is turned off, noise doesn’t happen after very short journeys but after a 20min one it’s present

I’m about to go check for white residue and my coolant level. I’ll admit I don’t pay attention to the temperature gauge(I know, I will from now!) I’m going to take it out later so will watch it then.

I’ve only had the car 5 month and use it once a week so hardly any miles added to it (71k when bought it and it’s an 2014 plate)

I’m hoping the noise is just the brake servo and not my cylinder gasket blown and I’m going to take it to a garage next week but if it is my gasket blown, can it happen in 5 month with minimal use or is it more of a build up, ie could have been blown before and the garage just cleaned the residue and topped up the coolant to sell it on? I only ask I got 6month warranty but have a feeling im going to have a fight on my hands as it doesn’t cover wear and tear so it’s going to be hard to prove but hoping lack of miles can demonstrate that

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does the car seem to run well in itself. Have you noticed your coolant level dropping quickly ? it could be something as simple as a split coolant pipe or leaking coolant sensor or leaking thermostat or leak from radiator.

If the car is running fine, then its unlikely to be the head gasket if its at the stage of already leaking coolant and/or oil.

Haynes signs of blown head gasket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
thank you that’s reassuring. Yes car seems to be running fine, there is a teeny slight judder when sitting idle but nothing I would consider concerning and I usually put it down to the fact it hasn’t been used for a week prior, as gets less the more I use it/it warms up. I’ll be honest I don’t check my coolant level due to not using the car much but know that’s not an excuse so will start to keep an eye on it. It’s my first car so just learning along the way!

would those leaks cause the air escaping noise too or could it be thebrake servo + a leak.

it’s also been raining so it could just be some water that Had collected that’s eventually spilled? Ground is wet today so can’t check but this was last night when I pulled into my parking space
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Car

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If its the head gasket it would make a hissing noise if the header tank cap was releasing pressure but you would have noticed this was the problem as there would be no coolant in the header tank.
Just been out to check. No milky residue but yes my coolant is almost empty there is about an inch in the bottom but it’s well below the min line.First I’ve checked it so I don’t know if always been like this since I got it or if it’s leaking.

If it’s just leaking or even better just never been topped up previously, as the hiss only started three weeks ago and I’ve only used my car about 6 times (3 short journeys 2 20min journeys bur one 24 mile with stand still traffic so took an hour) could just filling the coolant up sort it or is it too little too late (obviously you can’t see the engine but as there’s no steam coming out yet or milky residue and running okay would indicate I’ve caught it early before the gasket has blown?) or is the fact it’s empty along with the hiss mean the gasket has blown already?

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
Fill it with water to the proper level start the car but don't drive it and wait until it gets to temperature when either the fan kicks in or bottom and top radiator hose hot then see if the overflow is pouring coolant out or you have steam at the exhaust.

Use the method below to watch the temperature as it raises my fan kicks in at 105c

·
Registered
38 Posts
A slight judder sometimes is the norm from what i have seen in the forums, If it was the car overheating then i would've thought that the engine temp light would light up eventually. A brake servo is vacuum controlled and usually only creates a vacuum when the engines running (Please correct me if im wrong, it's been a while since i learned most of what i know). also you would experience spongy brakes and loss of brake fluid.

Could it be a broken seal on the coolant cap or pin hole in a radiator pipe? Could it be a leaky valve on the A.C pipe.

I personally don't think its the head gasket, in my experience you would've begun to see other signs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A slight judder sometimes is the norm from what i have seen in the forums, If it was the car overheating then i would've thought that the engine temp light would light up eventually. A brake servo is vacuum controlled and usually only creates a vacuum when the engines running (Please correct me if im wrong, it's been a while since i learned most of what i know). also you would experience spongy brakes and loss of brake fluid.

Could it be a broken seal on the coolant cap or pin hole in a radiator pipe? Could it be a leaky valve on the A.C pipe.

I personally don't think its the head gasket, in my experience you would've begun to see other signs.
thank you, I’m hoping that maybe the previous owner used water to fill it rather than coolant so it’s just burnt off. Off to Halfords tomorrow to buy some and monitor it, think they engine has been overheating but only eve so slightly so fingers crossed caught it early.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts