Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I’m at my wit’s end with my Vauxhall corsa D cdti ecoflex 1.3. It broke down last week and had to be towed via RAC. (Kept losing power to the point it just cuts out) I’ve also had that bloody yellow spanner light on and off for a while too. After lots of intensive research & chatting to various mechanics we think the issue is pointing toward an issue with the ECU (water ingress due to ridiculous location in the engine). My partner removed it and we noticed it was wet and so we dried it out and reinstalled it but now the damn thing won’t even turn over despite the fuel pump still kicking in when turning the ignition. The day prior to removing the ECU it started up after several attempts, ran for around 45 mins whilst we disconnected the pipe (can’t remember the name!) to spray some carb cleaner in to clean the EGR valve because we thought that could be shitted up as that came up as a fault code on the RAC diagnostic, but it then cut out again. It also makes an unnerving knocking/rattling sound which bothers me a bit. When you push the clutch pedal down it stops. Am I flogging a dead dog here people, trying to save my car or is it worth looking into? I’d be so grateful for any feedback. Thank you :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
hi. what did the RAC man say was wrong with the car firstly.if it's the EGR valve faulty it can be replaced fairly easily.
what about the rattling noise from the engine?what do you think it is ?if it disappears when clutch is pressed it could be a worn clutch release bearing.
other thing to think of is any timing chain issues causing a noise and inability to start or cutting out.
if you cant take it to a garage why dont you get a good mobile mechanic to give an opinion.
Has the car been serviced regularly and what's the mileage and age of car ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Am I flogging a dead dog here people, trying to save my car or is it worth looking into? I’d be so grateful for any feedback. Thank you
I have just gone through the same tale of woe you are going through my local garage spent a few hours diagnosing the problems and to cut a long story short the ECU drowned as yours has you can get them re-soldered (shows company in video) but although they will guarantee the ECU is fixed (£300+ seems to be the lower end of the price range) you have no idea if there will be other faults as well, as there was no 100% guarantee it would sort the problem and with the price of getting the ECU fixed including labour i decided enough was enough and scraped the car.

Skip to 6:15 -

·
Registered
287 Posts
hi Max sorry to hear that .i did not realize you had a diesel corsa before the present car.i have noticed most of the non starters due to ecu problems are
diesel models.as you mentioned it's the flaw in location of the ECU in diesel models

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 1.2 petrol now ECU is in the engine bay so no worries about having the same issues again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi. what did the RAC man say was wrong with the car firstly.if it's the EGR valve faulty it can be replaced fairly easily.
what about the rattling noise from the engine?what do you think it is ?if it disappears when clutch is pressed it could be a worn clutch release bearing.
other thing to think of is any timing chain issues causing a noise and inability to start or cutting out.
if you cant take it to a garage why dont you get a good mobile mechanic to give an opinion.
Has the car been serviced regularly and what's the mileage and age of car ?
Hi, it’s 2008 and done 72000. Had it serviced and it’s been looked after etc. The car has made that noise since I bought it and it’s always left me a bit on edge as I know nothing about engines but has driven ok but I just feel something isn’t as it should be. I was told by a garage it’s a flywheel issue then got told it’s a thrust bearing so I don’t know what to think. I did notice that before this problem with the car losing power and the engine cutting out, that the noise got significantly worse along with the shuddering and it just died. The diagnostic pulled up EGR valve, (tech said it could be stuck hence why we sprayed the car cleaner in it) capacitor , fuel rail pressure control valve, glow plug ,boost pressure and cylinder 2 injector circuit. I didn’t get a definitive answer as the machine only pulls up fault codes it doesn’t give the reason behind it does it. I don’t know what to think. It’s giving me a headache!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just gone through the same tale of woe you are going through my local garage spent a few hours diagnosing the problems and to cut a long story short the ECU drowned as yours has you can get them re-soldered (shows company in video) but although they will guarantee the ECU is fixed (£300+ seems to be the lower end of the price range) you have no idea if there will be other faults as well, as there was no 100% guarantee it would sort the problem and with the price of getting the ECU fixed including labour i decided enough was enough and scraped the car.

Skip to 6:15 -

Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes that’s the route I’m considering as like you said, there’s no guarantee a new ECU will solve the problem if there are other underlying issues. I’m gutted because I love my car but I’m not in a position to throw money at something that’s going to keep giving me problems. :-(

·
Registered
287 Posts
hi thanks for your feedback.it's true about a scanner giving fault codes which are difficult to interpret.
if you have looked after the car properly its worthwhile giving it a shot and have a mobile mechanic to give his opinion.
They are generally good and fairly priced because they dont have overhead charges and their work depends on
good recommendations.get one with a good 5 star review.its a shame to get rid of this car at this stage.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes that’s the route I’m considering as like you said, there’s no guarantee a new ECU will solve the problem if there are other underlying issues. I’m gutted because I love my car but I’m not in a position to throw money at something that’s going to keep giving me problems. :-(
The ECU fix should sort it as it seems to be the water in the ECU problem that keeps cropping up on the internet, when i looked at prices for repaired ECU's i could not find any as low as £300 so i was looking at £500 plus labour with no guarantee it would solve the problem the car had a few other issues and i knew i would have to spend a bit on it to get it through its next MOT so i decided enough was enough, i had the car 10 years and never had a single breakdown, i kept it serviced and other than a couple of shocks and tyres it never needed much spending on it and if VX had not been so *** stupid as to put the ECU in a place likely to get flooded it would still be going today. :mad:

I feel sorry for all the diesel corsa drivers out there who haven't a clue this is a problem that is likely to cause them big financial loss and its a very easy fix to stop it happening in the first place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi Goldie ,what is happening with your car ? Has it been looked at ?
Hi sorry for late reply. I spoke to a very helpful car seller who suggested I keep the car and get it fixed as what I’d be shelling out on a new (old) car would cost me more money. I went to look at another car but I just wasn’t convinced as all that’s available are old cars that aren’t worth the asking price. He was very helpful and help put things into perspective and recommended sending off my ECU to a company called BBA Reman for a repair or replacement. Personally I think a replacement is looking more likely but I’ve just read a **** load of bad reviews about them, bar a few good ones. Now my headache has returned. I would love to get my car going again as it is very good on fuel and cheap on tax and has so many good points. The idea of selling or scrapping makes me feel sick as I feel there is potential but when you read the reviews you feel like you’re back to square one. Have you any idea if Reman are any good or if you know any one who’s dealt with them? Hope you’re keeping well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi Goldie,thanks for your comprehensive feedback.i am sorry to hear about your dilemma. BBA REMAN definitely does not have good reviews.so i would shy away from them.
i maintain my daughter's corsa d which is petrol driven. so no issues with ECU as it's in the engine bay on these models.
But i have come across another website which has good reviews when dealing with ECU problems.if you are keen to get it sorted out why dont you investigate ECUTESTING.COM
which is the company i am referring to.
BTW i am keeping well and busy looking and learning from this forum.
hope you sort out the car to your liking
Automotive ECU Testing - ECU Repair and Exchange is the website.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hi sorry for late reply. I spoke to a very helpful car seller who suggested I keep the car and get it fixed as what I’d be shelling out on a new (old) car would cost me more money. I went to look at another car but I just wasn’t convinced as all that’s available are old cars that aren’t worth the asking price. He was very helpful and help put things into perspective and recommended sending off my ECU to a company called BBA Reman for a repair or replacement. Personally I think a replacement is looking more likely but I’ve just read a **** load of bad reviews about them, bar a few good ones. Now my headache has returned. I would love to get my car going again as it is very good on fuel and cheap on tax and has so many good points. The idea of selling or scrapping makes me feel sick as I feel there is potential but when you read the reviews you feel like you’re back to square one. Have you any idea if Reman are any good or if you know any one who’s dealt with them? Hope you’re keeping well.
Hey Goldie.

If you were looking at options in the terms of buying another 2nd hand car how much would you be willing to spend on a 2md hand vehicle Corsa D. As I know someone wanting to sell their 1.2 Corsa D petrol limited edition 2013 plate, which I was the one that looked after it servicing wise.

If not your options are trying the ECU companies. I found a vw forum that someone asks about ECU testing and seems they are a very good company.

Has anyone used ECUTesting.com for gearbox ECU repair?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Goldie,thanks for your comprehensive feedback.i am sorry to hear about your dilemma. BBA REMAN definitely does not have good reviews.so i would shy away from them.
i maintain my daughter's corsa d which is petrol driven. so no issues with ECU as it's in the engine bay on these models.
But i have come across another website which has good reviews when dealing with ECU problems.if you are keen to get it sorted out why dont you investigate ECUTESTING.COM
which is the company i am referring to.
BTW i am keeping well and busy looking and learning from this forum.
hope you sort out the car to your liking
Automotive ECU Testing - ECU Repair and Exchange is the website.
Ah thank you I’ll give that site a look. Yes this is a very good forum. I’m glad I joined!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Goldie give this company a look its the one used to paste the faults into my water in the ECU thread Corsa 1.3 CDTi ECU

How do I get my unit rebuilt?
To pay for the rebuild select your part number and click: Get yours rebuilt
Print the payment/booking confirmation email.
Package the Vauxhall Corsa engine ECU inside a sturdy box with plenty of packaging material (make sure you include your confirmation email in the box).
Send us your package by tracked courier (the shipping instructions are on the confirmation email).
Once received we will test, rebuild and return your Corsa engine ECU with an unlimited mileage lifetime warranty. (if your unit turns out not to be faulty then we will refund your payment less a small testing fee and return shipping)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi Max ,which company did you approach when you had a problem with your ECU in the previous car u owned ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Goldie.

If you were looking at options in the terms of buying another 2nd hand car how much would you be willing to spend on a 2md hand vehicle Corsa D.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Goldie give this company a look its the one used to paste the faults into my water in the ECU thread Corsa 1.3 CDTi ECU

How do I get my unit rebuilt?
To pay for the rebuild select your part number and click: Get yours rebuilt
Print the payment/booking confirmation email.
Package the Vauxhall Corsa engine ECU inside a sturdy box with plenty of packaging material (make sure you include your confirmation email in the box).
Send us your package by tracked courier (the shipping instructions are on the confirmation email).
Once received we will test, rebuild and return your Corsa engine ECU with an unlimited mileage lifetime warranty. (if your unit turns out not to be faulty then we will refund your payment less a small testing fee and return shipping)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi thank you so much. I’ve just gone onto their website and gave it a look. It seems a lot of faulty ECUs bring up and injector issue on the diagnostic reading when it isn’t actually that doesn’t it?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi i suppose they will know exactly what's wrong only once they have a chance to test it in their workshop.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts