Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks , looking for some advice about the heating system on my 2007 corsa (D) . I have been looking at all the posts on here about problems with the heater but unfortunately every one else seems to be having the exact opposite symptoms to me so please let me explain.

The most common issue with the corsa heating system seems to be the heater working on setting 4 on the swich meaning that the resistor is usualy the problem.

I have replaced the resistor twice and the heater does start working but only on setting 1 2 and 3 but not no 4 and the resistor gets very hot very quickly so the result is I keep burning them out .

I have had the fan out the car and cleaned the copper bit the brushes rub against also put grease on the bearing so the fan turns freely I am getting the feeling that the fan is OK. Would anyone know any other reason the fan would work on 1 2 and 3 but not on 4 and also burn out the resistior in a few minutes?? The wiring loom that goes to the resistor connection also looks OK as I have read about problems with the looms . Any ideas please let me know many thanks Alex

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Folks , looking for some advice about the heating system on my 2007 corsa (D) . I have been looking at all the posts on here about problems with the heater but unfortunately every one else seems to be having the exact opposite symptoms to me so please let me explain.

The most common issue with the corsa heating system seems to be the heater working on setting 4 on the swich meaning that the resistor is usualy the problem.

I have replaced the resistor twice and the heater does start working but only on setting 1 2 and 3 but not no 4 and the resistor gets very hot very quickly so the result is I keep burning them out .

I have had the fan out the car and cleaned the copper bit the brushes rub against also put grease on the bearing so the fan turns freely I am getting the feeling that the fan is OK. Would anyone know any other reason the fan would work on 1 2 and 3 but not on 4 and also burn out the resistior in a few minutes?? The wiring loom that goes to the resistor connection also looks OK as I have read about problems with the looms . Any ideas please let me know many thanks Alex
Feeling like it could be a resistant problem, are you looked at the wiring properly / the plug to see if melted. Also do a resistance test on the wiring.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Everton, thanks for getting back to me , tried 3 new resistors but when I turn the fan to 1 2 or 3 the resistor gets very hot in a few minutes so it just burns out . I have a multimeter but not sure how to test the ohms 🤔 any tips ? Cheers

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Everton, thanks for getting back to me , tried 3 new resistors but when I turn the fan to 1 2 or 3 the resistor gets very hot in a few minutes so it just burns out . I have a multimeter but not sure how to test the ohms any tips ? Cheers
Unfortunately I am not the best with electrics like yourself. I would do some learning like me about basics of using a multi meter on YouTube. Research how to test electrical connectors in a car, multi meter basics automotive. This should give you an understanding and whislt you wait see if anyone come back with more help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi after doing more research I removed the fan motor again to check to see if there is any resistance in the motor by putting the two connectors of my multimeter on the two blades that the power wires fit onto. According to my research there should always be some kind of resistance but I am getting 0.00 ohms with is an indication that there is a short in the motor , that would lead to the motor drawing to much current.

the photo attached of the last resistor I used show quite clearly that the wires inside the resistor have been getting very hot and burning through the green outer layer . I only used that new resistor once for a couple of minutes and that was the result I am assuming that the fan won't work on no 4 because the fan requires too much current . I have ordered a new fan so hopefully that should cure the problem . Will keep you posted and thanks again .

1 Photo

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi after doing more research I removed the fan motor again to check to see if there is any resistance in the motor by putting the two connectors of my multimeter on the two blades that the power wires fit onto. According to my research there should always be some kind of resistance but I am getting 0.00 ohms with is an indication that there is a short in the motor , that would lead to the motor drawing to much current.

the photo attached of the last resistor I used show quite clearly that the wires inside the resistor have been getting very hot and burning through the green outer layer . I only used that new resistor once for a couple of minutes and that was the result I am assuming that the fan won't work on no 4 because the fan requires too much current . I have ordered a new fan so hopefully that should cure the problem . Will keep you posted and thanks again .

1 Photo

Good diagnosis it seems to make sense and seem a logical step moving forward. Be sure to update how things go to ensure that if anyone with same issue knows where to go

1 - 7 of 7 Posts