Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

The aux belt tensioner has a thin piece of metal inside the spring coils, I'm not sure what it's for.

Potentially a locking pin of some sort? Anyway, my car was making a small rattling noise and turned out when I checked underneath, that thin piece of metal was loose inside the spring.

Can anyone tell me if this means my tensioner needs replaced, or if it won't make a difference.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi everyone,

The aux belt tensioner has a thin piece of metal inside the spring coils, I'm not sure what it's for.

Potentially a locking pin of some sort? Anyway, my car was making a small rattling noise and turned out when I checked underneath, that thin piece of metal was loose inside the spring.

Can anyone tell me if this means my tensioner needs replaced, or if it won't make a difference.

Cheers
Hey pal,

Yes that metal piece is what pulls the spring in once you turn the tensioner via the E14 Torx on the idler. So if that breaks it won't tension properly. Also when you want to remove the aux belt say, when you turn the etorx socket that metal piece pokes its head out so you can put a locking pin in its.little opening. I changed one a few weeks back for a customer and the metal piece was broke in halve, so the big Spring was now sitting on the crank and then once I removed, it fall apart in my hands, so it also holds it all together.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey pal,

Yes that metal piece is what pulls the spring in once you turn the tensioner via the E14 Torx on the idler. So if that breaks it won't tension properly. Also when you want to remove the aux belt say, when you turn the etorx socket that metal piece pokes its head out so you can put a locking pin in its.little opening. I changed one a few weeks back for a customer and the metal piece was broke in halve, so the big Spring was now sitting on the crank and then once I removed, it fall apart in my hands, so it also holds it all together.

Thanks for the reply mate!

Ok I see. So right now the car drives ok, but that piece is goosed. Does that mean the belt just being tensioned at max tension?

Should I not be driving the car like this is what I'm asking I suppose. Until I've got another and replaced it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks for the reply mate!

Ok I see. So right now the car drives ok, but that piece is goosed. Does that mean the belt just being tensioned at max tension?

Should I not be driving the car like this is what I'm asking I suppose. Until I've got another and replaced it.
Well the tension will be the same / how it should be, it's a matter of once it breaks the problems start, so you can still use it but I wouldn't be planning any.long journeys, cz of the tensioner fails and say then throws the belt off, it will cause you car to overheat / not charge the battery as none of the pulleys are being driven by the belt. So if you do plan to use car be sure to check the belt is still on before every trip and only do shortish journeys. But get it replaced when you can (the story I just told is what happened to my customer).

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,064 Posts
As above, as it’s gone I’d be tempted to do it sooner rather than later, as to how soon? Well how long was it rattling before you found out what it was? Still if it’s off the car now it’d make sense to put a new one on now I suppose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As above, as it’s gone I’d be tempted to do it sooner rather than later, as to how soon? Well how long was it rattling before you found out what it was? Still if it’s off the car now it’d make sense to put a new one on now I suppose
I've had the car for about 8 months, and tbh I only just managed to stick it on ramps last week because I thought it was part of the exhaust rattling. But it's had that rattle for the best part of 7 months. Every month I do a 3 hour drive so I'd imagine I should get it fixed asap. From what I've seen I'll need two jack's to get it done, one to support the engine and one for lifting the car up and down to help get some of the engine mount bolts out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Was
Well the tension will be the same / how it should be, it's a matter of once it breaks the problems start, so you can still use it but I wouldn't be planning any.long journeys, cz of the tensioner fails and say then throws the belt off, it will cause you car to overheat / not charge the battery as none of the pulleys are being driven by the belt. So if you do plan to use car be sure to check the belt is still on before every trip and only do shortish journeys. But get it replaced when you can (the story I just told is what happened to my customer).

Great post i didn't even know they had a tensioner, i am from the V belt years when you moved the alternator slightly on its bracket to keep it tight when it got slack. :LOL:

Is this part failing common?

Roughly how much would it cost to get it replaced at a non VX garage?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Was

Great post i didn't even know they had a tensioner, i am from the V belt years when you moved the alternator slightly on its bracket to keep it tight when it got slack.

Is this part failing common?

Roughly how much would it cost to get it replaced at a non VX garage?
I wouldn't say it common, your water pump is more.likely to fail than this. This job is about 1 - 2 hours labour so depending on the garages hourly rate + part + might aswell fit a new belt. So I would expect a good garage to say about £150 - £180

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update on the car!

I bought a tensioner off ebay and a new belt. Spent about 5 hours in the sun tackling the job myself.

Locking pin was snapped off the old tensioner so had to rattle gun the bottom bolt out and let it explode on the floor.

Hardest bit was moving the engine up and down to get the mount bolts out, but eventually got them.

Cars running fine now!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Just a quick update on the car!

I bought a tensioner off ebay and a new belt. Spent about 5 hours in the sun tackling the job myself.

Locking pin was snapped off the old tensioner so had to rattle gun the bottom bolt out and let it explode on the floor.

Hardest bit was moving the engine up and down to get the mount bolts out, but eventually got them.

Cars running fine now!
Hey pal, glad you got it sorted, and doing that job sounds small but learning it on a Corsa is pretty big as you have to do that for a water pump replacement which is common to fail and can save a few Bob doing it yourself. So you have learnt alot pal. Thanks for coming back and reporting how it went.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts