Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wondering if anyone can shed some light here..

Started my car no problem this morning went to tesco, I had my sidelights on as i usually do. Got to tesco and turned them off locked the car up.. was inside about 10 min. came back unlocked it fine, Tried to turn it over it failed and just sat clicking which i knew was a dead battery the voltage was reading 6v. I got it jumped (after the idiot jumping me reversed the polarity and almost smoked his leads) so now it runs fine had it off and on afew times sat about with cd player on, phone charger going, blowers on etc and i am still able to start her up.

Voltages are as follows
Running 13.3v at idle 13.7v at 70mph
12.6v When engine is turned off
11.7v within 5 mins of turning engine off

Had it checked by a battery shop they said they can't test it today as its just been jumped and to come back monday and they shall check again. From what info iv given does my battery sound duff or did i have a mysterious drain?

P.s my car was COVERED in snow this morning if that could of caused a fault?

What is wrong with this colour text..

EDIT: Fixed

·
Registered
174 Posts
Should be about 14.2 really when the engine is running.

Err, is then 11.7 after 5 minute with any accessories running atall?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
11.7 Running stock cd player. Just checked with nothing running it is still 11.7 after 5 mins or so.

J

·
0 Posts
May have a dead cell
Mine was the same. Some mornings it started straight away and some it struggled. Had a drop test done and the battery was knackered. Got a new one and its sweet now

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks :) Will get it thoroughly tested instead of the fast test monday and see what comes back of it. I do alot of long distance driving so i can't afford to break down really. Will be having my head unit installed shortly too so more drain will be added.. My glovebox light has melted too so i did wonder if that has caused a short or its just been on all night. But then why did it start this morning

Its a 1.7 Diesel so i know im gona pay abit :/ But need a good battery really.

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks :) Will get it thoroughly tested instead of the fast test monday and see what comes back of it. I do alot of long distance driving so i can't afford to break down really. Will be having my head unit installed shortly too so more drain will be added.. My glovebox light has melted too so i did wonder if that has caused a short or its just been on all night. But then why did it start this morning

Its a 1.7 Diesel so i know im gona pay abit :/ But need a good battery really.
Mines a 1.7 and i paid 70 quid fitted with three years warranty for a heavy duty battery
Does sound like a dead cell like mine had

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats very reasonable! Iv looked at the dreaded halfrauds, aa, rac and there all about 90-120 :/ Ill go to my local battery depot may be cheaper! I may just replace it for peace of mind. Its on its original battery and it is 6 years old

J

·
0 Posts
Thats very reasonable! Iv looked at the dreaded halfrauds, aa, rac and there all about 90-120 :/ Ill go to my local battery depot may be cheaper! I may just replace it for peace of mind. Its on its original battery and it is 6 years old
Same as me. Mine hadnt been changed for five years. Yeah i went to my local garage and they sorted me out

·
Registered
140 Posts
if its a 1.7 corsa d you should have a 100 spec battery, ideally i'd look for a top of the range one, with like a 5 year warranty, peace of mind for some years that way.

shop around for prices too, i bet you could find one for 70 quid.

also dont use a drop tester to test the battery, the name gives away what they do, if theyre left on longer than recomended then they will destroy a battery, thus giving the company using it a sale on a car battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts