Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right since i wrote off my car ive had a lot of lifts to and from work with a variety of people. ive noticed that some cars turn the A/C on automatically upon turing the heaters on, and other people turn the A/C on themselves!

I always thought that the A/C was for in summer so you get super cold air! but apparently people use it in winter with their heating on hot and it gives them super warm air?! dunno how true this is or if any of you do it?>

all comments welcome !!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah it works in the summer for cold air and in the the winter for warmer air I guess it heats it up quicker....when I had a bora years ago it did that....the ac always came on hot or cold

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it works in the summer for cold air and in the the winter for warmer air I guess it heats it up quicker....when I had a bora years ago it did that....the ac always came on hot or cold
intersting ... so if its like -4 slap on the A/C and get warmer air quicker?! makes sense i spose but doesnt it use significantly more fuel running the A/C or is that a load of cack aswell!!! lol

·
Registered
503 Posts
No, unfortunately it does use more fuel, but hey if your in a hurry in the winter and need your windscreen defrosted quick or in the summer your sweating your balls off paying a bit extra is ok by me lol...im not sure but i think its something like 10% more fuel or that could having your window open it might be 5%

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, unfortunately it does use more fuel, but hey if your in a hurry in the winter and need your windscreen defrosted quick or in the summer your sweating your balls off paying a bit extra is ok by me lol...im not sure but i think its something like 10% more fuel or that could having your window open it might be 5%
So i havent been told complete lies then!! lol, yeah had it for this summer my god first car with A/C was divine!!! but as its my first car with A/C i didnt realise it worked the opposite way too!!

as for the economy its worth it! and im pretty sure now that i think about it that tv show 'mythbusters' did a test with the same cars, same amount of fuel and same speed and road surface. one had both windows down and the other had the A/C on full and im sure it was the windows down that ran out of fuel first !?!? dunno if i remember that one correctly!! lol !!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Air con when on with heaters on full for example keep the warmth up but humidity inside the car down so you can be warm but without it being so hot you can't breathe and it stops windows misting up

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air con when on with heaters on full for example keep the warmth up but humidity inside the car down so you can be warm but without it being so hot you can't breathe and it stops windows misting up
useful!! specially with all this random snow we're getting!! thankyou gentlemen!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
A/C basically runs off the engine I think to heat up or cool down the air, so what it effectively does is slows down your car a tiny bit. So like, by slowing down your car a little bit you have to put your foot down more to get it to perform the same as when not using A/C. I'm pretty sure that's what it is anyway, but I rarely felt a difference in my old car when using the A/C so can't be much if that's what it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts