Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Ive got a problem with a Corsa D 1.2 SXI 57 plate, basically when the car is started it is struggling to turn over and has to be given some gas for it to start, once it is running it seems fine idling at around 700 rpm but as soon as you start to drive the rev and speed dials drop, the exhaust emission, engine electronics and alternator lights all come on then all go off very quick but the exhaust emission light stays on for a little longer, the car also jerks as if the engine has cut out and is jumping back up to the revs it was at. Getting up hills seems to be when its at its worst, it used to do it every now and then on the odd occasion but over the past 2 days it is doing it constantly through each gear so I am having to drive in 5th everywhere so that it isnt as aggressive.

Any help on what this could be would be greatly appreciated, we recently had the coil pack and spark plugs changed but it is yet to have a service after being owned for a year.

Thanks

Jordan!

Forgot to add its also recently had a new battery.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Hello everyone,

Ive got a problem with a Corsa D 1.2 SXI 57 plate, basically when the car is started it is struggling to turn over and has to be given some gas for it to start, once it is running it seems fine idling at around 700 rpm but as soon as you start to drive the rev and speed dials drop, the exhaust emission, engine electronics and alternator lights all come on then all go off very quick but the exhaust emission light stays on for a little longer, the car also jerks as if the engine has cut out and is jumping back up to the revs it was at. Getting up hills seems to be when its at its worst, it used to do it every now and then on the odd occasion but over the past 2 days it is doing it constantly through each gear so I am having to drive in 5th everywhere so that it isnt as aggressive.

Any help on what this could be would be greatly appreciated, we recently had the coil pack and spark plugs changed but it is yet to have a service after being owned for a year.

Thanks

Jordan!

EGR valve could be stuck open, but if that was the case it wouldn't idle properly. Try disconnecting the MAF sensor and see if that makes any difference.

A faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor can give symptoms as you described. In fairness to the Z12XEP engines despite the timing chain gear, the rest of the engine is pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disconnected the MAF sensor yesterday but it has no difference what so ever, I also disconnected the cam sensor and that stopped it for a short journey and it started again once plugged back in, unplugged for a second time it continued to jump the same as if it was plugged in, there isn't anyway it could be an alternator fault is there?

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
I disconnected the MAF sensor yesterday but it has no difference what so ever, I also disconnected the cam sensor and that stopped it for a short journey and it started again once plugged back in, unplugged for a second time it continued to jump the same as if it was plugged in, there isn't anyway it could be an alternator fault is there?
An Alternator fault is doubtful, like you said could also be a dodgy Crank/Cam position sensor, however usually when they go faulty the car doesn't run at all. It would be useful if you could get it code read, it would at least aid in some diagnosis.

Without a Diagnostic is kinda like finding a needle in a haystack. Could be something even as simple as a vacuum leak whilst its under load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend of mine has a vauxhall reader ill get it on that and see what it comes back with, thanks for your help man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is fixed now man, it turned out to be an electrical problem something to do with an earth and all the wires sitting in a puddle of water. Everything seems to be fine so far, thanks for your help man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks

Jordan!

Hiya all,

I've been having similar problem with my corsa 62 plate. It all started with the engine misfiring. I took it to the garage and my mechanic did something with spark plug and coil which cost me over £200. I took my car hoping it'll start driving smoothly as it used to but I was wrong. The next day the car just simply cut out in the middle of the road. Thinking it was a one off, but the symptom continued like non stop, I'll be driving and it'll suddenly die off. The strange thing is that if it cuts out all I need do is turn engine back on and it starts again and this time I have to reve engine harder and as it feels as if something was blocking exhaust or something. This is worst when it's raining and temperature is down or if I enter into a sharp corner. I've since took it to my mechanic on three different occasion but he still was unable to diagnose what the problem is. Please can somebody help me out? Thanks for your advice in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks

Jordan!

Hiya all,

I've been having similar problem with my corsa 62 plate. It all started with the engine misfiring. I took it to the garage and my mechanic did something with spark plug and coil which cost me over £200. I took my car hoping it'll start driving smoothly as it used to but I was wrong. The next day the car just simply cut out in the middle of the road. Thinking it was a one off, but the symptom continued like non stop, I'll be driving and it'll suddenly die off. The strange thing is that if it cuts out all I need do is turn engine back on and it starts again and this time I have to reve engine harder and as it feels as if something was blocking exhaust or something. This is worst when it's raining and temperature is down or if I enter into a sharp corner. I've since took it to my mechanic on three different occasion but he still was unable to diagnose what the problem is. Please can somebody help me out? Thanks for your advice in advance.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Either electrical or the throttle position sensor could be on its way out and coming as a intermittent fault. If there’s some electrics having a bath somewhere or a fuse that’s corroded or loose that could be a potential problem. I take it there’s no lights come on on the dash? Has it been code read?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Either electrical or the throttle position sensor could be on its way out and coming as a intermittent fault. If there’s some electrics having a bath somewhere or a fuse that’s corroded or loose that could be a potential problem. I take it there’s no lights come on on the dash? Has it been code read?
Hiya thanks for this information. There's no light coming on dash and it's been code read multiple times with no fault. My mechanic is an experienced mechanic but I'm surprised he's not been able to figure this thing out after having it on three different occasions. I suppose I can advise him based on your advise.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hey, don’t take my advice as being right, it’s only knowledge gained over the last 30 odd years in farming and reading things up on internet, so don’t take it as gospel. It’s a little thing but has it been a good code reader as some don’t pick up all faults like vx’s tech 2 would. Sounds very electrical the problem but if throttle position switch is a eBay special I have seen on here that a genuine part doesn’t throw a wobbly in the first 1 minute of use. Like I said, my knowledge is limited so I aren’t going to tell a experienced mechanic his job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, don’t take my advice as being right, it’s only knowledge gained over the last 30 odd years in farming and reading things up on internet, so don’t take it as gospel. It’s a little thing but has it been a good code reader as some don’t pick up all faults like vx’s tech 2 would. Sounds very electrical the problem but if throttle position switch is a eBay special I have seen on here that a genuine part doesn’t throw a wobbly in the first 1 minute of use. Like I said, my knowledge is limited so I aren’t going to tell a experienced mechanic his job.
Lol !! cheers any way it does really help. My experienced mechanic has had it on three different occasions but doesn't seemed to tell me what's wrong it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hiya all,

Hiya all,

Hi all, my car is fixed now. It turned out to be the MAF Sensor that was going out with low current. It's been replaced and car is driving smoothly once again. Thanks for all your advice...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lol !! cheers any way it does really help. My experienced mechanic has had it on three different occasions but doesn't seemed to tell me what's wrong it.
All sorted now. It was MAF sensor that was under current. As a result it was getting a different reading from what it should and was letting in un-burned petrol into the engine. Funny enough my so-called experienced mechanic could not diagnose the fault on three different occasions I took it to him. It was a young lad in his early 20s with no garage that did the job. Also, I did mentioned that my mechanic initially fitted a new spark plug before all this started, it turned out he did not tightened the spark plug properly I was told. This could be one of the reasons but who knows? All the same I'm glad it's been sorted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts