Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Had a bit of trouble with my 2013 1.4 Corsa D this weekend. Had to travel up to Blackburn for an event, about a 3 hour drive up, and was having an issue with my car with prolonged acceleration uphill would cause a ratcheting-like noise (like spinning a wheel on a game show type) from the driver's side of the car, I think near the tyre or something, but I could be wrong about that part. Tried to recreate it on a flat/decline or even just revving it on the roadside but it didn't do it in these cases. It hasn't done this before and I've made longer journeys to Wales and the Peak District which are much more hilly, but it happened twice for maybe 5-10 seconds towards the end of the journey and then would drive fine again after, but would occasionally hesitate during acceleration immediately after. On the way back, it did it once right at the beginning when going uphill on an A-road, but was fine for the remainder of the 4 hour drive back (we stopped off at places if it matters).

Only thing I can say is I changed the thermostat on Thursday, which might spilled coolant over some components on that side of the car (driver's side) and when I was bleeding the cooling system I accidentally let it boil over once with the cap off which might've done some damage on the other side. Not the most proficient but hey learning as I go along and we make mistakes. That said, however, temperatures were stable throughout the whole trip (I was using the digital temp gauge) and I had no issues with ratcheting noises/power loss when I test-drove the car after the job at different speeds and loads. No dash lights or any codes either.

I don't think it's an engine misfire, as I've had that before and my MPG substantially dropped and the whole car was shaking a lot more noticeable. It feels much different, almost as if the engine is working fine but something is slipping/not allowing the power to be put down and then it goes into limp mode or something for a short while. I thought it could be a gearbox issue but that's on the opposite side of the car to where I heard the noise. Also did a crude check to see if there were any loose components but nothing was lax, and the belt on the side of the thermostat was tight.

Drove it around town today and no issues, but of course that's a lot different to driving uphill at higher speeds, so the problem could still be there and hidden. Any advice/ideas?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,356 Posts
Had a bit of trouble with my 2013 1.4 Corsa D this weekend. Had to travel up to Blackburn for an event, about a 3 hour drive up, and was having an issue with my car with prolonged acceleration uphill would cause a ratcheting-like noise (like spinning a wheel on a game show type) from the driver's side of the car, I think near the tyre or something, but I could be wrong about that part.
Try lifting each corner of the car and spinning the wheels if that doesn't reproduce the noise we need a video as i doubt anyone will be able to guess what the problem is from your description of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try lifting each corner of the car and spinning the wheels if that doesn't reproduce the noise we need a video as i doubt anyone will be able to guess what the problem is from your description of it.
Fair point - the only problem is it happens very rarely and very briefly so it’s difficult to capture, but I’ll try if it happens again to get a video of the sound

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello all, just an update for the above post. I was able to capture the sound on video as it happened, I'll have the video uploaded with this comment.

I thought to clear things up as the first post may have been a bit confusing and very wordy:
  • The sound only happens when the car is accelerating, particularly uphill on A-roads where sometimes you need to add more throttle to maintain a given speed
  • During the clicking/rattling sound, if I put my foot down (as the car starts to lose power), it loses RPM. At the same time, putting my foot down, the sound doesn't get faster/slower, just louder it would seem
  • Driving around town or where the car doesn't have to work hard, there is no issue and car is responsive as it always has been.
  • Immediately after the misfire(?) happens, the car has reduced throttle response and will be a bit sluggish, but after about 20-30 seconds, it will drive like nothing happened.
  • Immediately before the issue, there is no build-up, it just happens when it feels like it in the context of the first bullet point
  • There are no new sounds at idle or driving around town.
  • No fault codes.
I've taken the car to a few garages, however, the car didn't play up while they test-drove it. When I played the video where you can hear the ratchet/rattly noise, they agreed it didn't sound like the engine as any issues with engine components would not be intermittent/would be most present at start-up as things are cold. However, as I mentioned in above, there is nothing at idle or town driving.

Really hoping someone can give me their thoughts. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the video: IMG_0493.MOV

·
Super Moderator
1,356 Posts
The problem is its quite difficult to hear on the video with all the other noise, if it does this every time you drive it you need to get a mechanic to come out with you to show him what you have described adove as all we can do is guess bue to the video sound quality.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can hear it quite well at the very beginning, and if you're having trouble with the wind it's again quite clear after the 4-second mark. Once you pick up the sound you can make it out.

I've taken it to a mechanic but the only issue is it happens at high speeds and heavy load uphill where I need to press the accelerator. One mechanic wasn't able to find the issue after I gave the car, and most mechanics aren't willing to go as that would take up a lot of their time, understandably, and for an issue which may/may not happen, I currently can't afford to pay for diagnosis of a problem that may not even appear - hence why I'm trying to get some advice here.

If nothing can be done then I'll just have to ride it out as some garages suggest until it gets worse and can be diagnosed, as a few said it's unlikely to be the engine, but that's not exactly optimal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it to a garage and they checked the wheels and suspension and found nothing significant. On another forum, one chap suggested it may be a purge solenoid valve failure. Any thoughts on that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts