Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is not something i have experienced but when looking for my Corsa Diesel starting problems i came across many posts and threads about it in various forums, if the battery goes flat and you try to start the car the spanner light will constantly flash on and off and the car will not start worse the system will be corrupted (see video 2)

To save yourself the expense of having to go through this buy or borrow a multi meter (mine cost £15 but i have seen them for as little as £8) and follow the instructions below, you will need help to do the crank test it should not drop below 10v just before it fires then it should immediately show the reading for alternator output (roughly 1.5 to 2v higher than the battery test performed first)

My Test results -

12.61v battery test

10v crank

14.34 idle.

I am happy with that.

Start at 57 seconds -

To watch the symptoms start at 1:10 then 12.23 for the final fix.

This car came to me as a non runner, immobiliser active and the spanner light flashing...

A quick scan revealed several modules with immo faults... the engine ecu, the body control module, the instrument panel and even the airbag module!

Follow me on this video to find out what was the problem and how to resolve it.

· Registered
1,269 Posts
This is not something i have experienced but when looking for my Corsa Diesel starting problems i came across many posts and threads about it in various forums, if the battery goes flat and you try to start the car the spanner light will constantly flash on and off and the car will not start worse the system will be corrupted (see video 2)

To save yourself the expense of having to go through this buy or borrow a multi meter (mine cost £15 but i have seen them for as little as £8) and follow the instructions below, you will need help to do the crank test it should not drop below 10v just before it fires then it should immediately show the reading for alternator output (roughly 1.5 to 2v higher than the battery test performed first)

My Test results -

12.61v battery test

10v crank

14.34 idle.

I am happy with that.

Start at 57 seconds -

To watch the symptoms start at 1:10 then 12.23 for the final fix.

This car came to me as a non runner, immobiliser active and the spanner light flashing...

A quick scan revealed several modules with immo faults... the engine ecu, the body control module, the instrument panel and even the airbag module!

Follow me on this video to find out what was the problem and how to resolve it.

Great post here thing Corsa Ds and the battery gogoing dead issue is not hyped up as.much as it should be. I personally would recommend that when you have a battery, if it's built for four years then change it at four and the same with 3 or 5 etc. My fiancée car battery was on the original one of 7 years and worked fine, it only struggled to start once, but I did look after it and charged it and topped it up as you should (battery maintenance) I checked the battery and it seem all ok. In the end I changed it and everything was fine. My point being that batteries can look fine but are not, and just need to be changed. I ended up wasting alot of timing checking xy and z. Just change it when your battery time is up, the amount we all save doing these jobs ourselves no reason our cars should get the best treatment.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

· Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great post here thing Corsa Ds and the battery gogoing dead issue is not hyped up as.much as it should be.
You are right i only found it by accident as i was searching for another non start problem.

This is another that Corsa owners should be aware of - Corsa D diesel ECU (if you have one read this now it could save you a fortune) ECU position Corsa D.

· Registered
2012 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 sxi + 2011 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Limited Edition
47 Posts
Sorry i know this is an old thread, but got the problem of my battery having died over the space of a couple of weeks due to not driving as i got a new car, charged the battery but now when i go to start it, its not starting, I dont get a flashing spanner light. but it does sound like its not getting the spark, could this be the problem still or could it be my battery that needs replacing, sure it's not normal for a battery to go dead within 2 weeks.

· Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
Check the battery using the method in the first video if the volts and cold cranking is above the numbers he gives the battery is fine and you need to move on to -

If you tried to start it with a flat battery its highly likely the the system is corrupted and will need reprogramming (watch the spanner light flashing video)

In the first part of the video he struggles to sort it but changes system and it works, the video below shows the point he swaps -

· Registered
47 Posts
Check the battery using the method in the first video if the volts and cold cranking is above the numbers he gives the battery is fine and you need to move on to -

If you tried to start it with a flat battery its highly likely the the system is corrupted and will need reprogramming (watch the spanner light flashing video)

In the first part of the video he struggles to sort it but changes system and it works, the video below shows the point he swaps -

Will give it a try , thanks SXI, fortunately its not my daily driver anymore, but still too nice of a car to let go off

· Registered
47 Posts
Keep us posted
My son borrowed a Yuasa battery and electrical analazyer from his work(a farily expensive battery and electrical tester) and its coming up with advise, and said its only giving 210amps instead of 440amps, so going to replace that to hopefully get this one running

· Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like you've sorted it, let us know if it all goes well.
I cant believe the price of batteries :D , il try the battery from my 1.2 Limited Edition on the SXI and if it solves the problem il purchase one. Once ive sorted both im going to start using both and not just the Limited Edition , they're both in really nice condition, and its a shame to let one start to rust and break. Thank you SXI :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts