Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can tell my clutch is on its way out (slips, but only when flooring in 1st). Car has 76k on it.

Hopefully it lasts until dry weather, at which point I'd like to try and replace it myself.

I'm surprised at how 'cheap' clutch kits seem to be... is it worth getting some kind of uprated one, especially if I'm going to hopefully make some more power in a few years?

If anybody has had success replacing their clutch on this model, please tell me which kit you used!

Any advice/things that will differ from the standard guides on replacing clutches?

Thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Do a quick start in first then jam it into fourth and floor it, if it slips it's clutch if it doesn't could be master/slave cylinder it's common fault.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried separately going up to 4,5,6k rpm in 1st and ramming into 4th + floor, every time I couldn't really tell whether the clutch 'slips' - it certainly didn't feel like the slips in 1st (more like a normal high-gear sluggishness than a big angry CUT of power).

I don't even know if what I feel in 1st is even the clutch slipping, my instinct just told me it made sense. It kind of sounds like bouncing off a rev-limiter and feels like rapid thudding, but it happens below where any kind of rev-limiting should happen.

It doesn't happen if I ease into it, even up at 5-6k, but if I just floor it I get the 'slip' even below 5k.

Can you explain the logic behind this diagnosis technique?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like your wheels are spinning and thumping up and down against the road surface 😉.

Must admit I'm a bit puzzled about the suggested method of identifying clutch wear too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That does sound like my problem, initially I thought I had a suspension issue haha... is this normal on stock cars or should I be checking/replacing anything?

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
If you change from 1st to 4th and floor it the revs will increase quickly but the car MPH will not.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Must admit I'm a bit puzzled about the suggested method of identifying clutch wear too.
Its a method that has been used for years.

This is a very worn clutch if you think yours is just starting to slip you need to use the method i gave above.

The reason you go from 1st to 4th is the car should bog down or try try to stall if the clutch is fine if its slipping it wont.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm clearly a noob because I thought that being in a higher gear at the same speed means lower revs (like less turns of crankshaft per turn of wheels)... have I literally got it the completely wrong way round lmao

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a method that has been used for years.

This is a very worn clutch if you think yours is just starting to slip you need to use the method i gave above.

The reason you go from 1st to 4th is the car should try to stall if the clutch is fine if its slipping it wont.

Ah ok, I could definitely feel the car trying to stall. Looks like a non-issue then :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts