Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!
I have a 2011 1.2 Corsa SXi. It’s done 101000 happy miles and up until 3 weeks ago was on its original clutch.
Being the kinda proactive type, I reckoned 100000 miles was probably enough for a clutch and the bite was getting quite high so thought I would get it replaced.
I usually do all of my own maintenance but as I can’t get the car right into my garage, don’t have a ramp and it’s freezing outside I thought for once I’d stick it into a local garage and get someone to do it for me.
I shopped around and managed to get a local place (a small chain of garages) to quote me £350 for a LUK kit (friction plate, thrust bearing and cylinder) inc. labour.
I asked the guys to hold onto the old components so I could have a look at their condition after 100k miles.
Put the car in first thing in the morning and got it back around lunch time. Apparently, they had “accidentally” binned the old parts which I was a little annoyed about but never thought too much of it.
Problem I have now is that 3 weeks later the clutch still has a really high bite and there is the slightest judder off it under certain circumstances when pulling away. I only need to put the weight of my foot on the pedal when the engine is pulling and it is enough to disengage and the clutch slips. I can make gear changes with the pedal at roughly 1/4 of its travel (from the top). I have got to the point where I am actually doubting whether the garage has changed the clutch and just charged me the £350!
Has anyone any thoughts or advice on this??

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi folks!
I have a 2011 1.2 Corsa SXi. It’s done 101000 happy miles and up until 3 weeks ago was on its original clutch.
Being the kinda proactive type, I reckoned 100000 miles was probably enough for a clutch and the bite was getting quite high so thought I would get it replaced.
I usually do all of my own maintenance but as I can’t get the car right into my garage, don’t have a ramp and it’s freezing outside I thought for once I’d stick it into a local garage and get someone to do it for me.
I shopped around and managed to get a local place (a small chain of garages) to quote me £350 for a LUK kit (friction plate, thrust bearing and cylinder) inc. labour.
I asked the guys to hold onto the old components so I could have a look at their condition after 100k miles.
Put the car in first thing in the morning and got it back around lunch time. Apparently, they had “accidentally” binned the old parts which I was a little annoyed about but never thought too much of it.
Problem I have now is that 3 weeks later the clutch still has a really high bite and there is the slightest judder off it under certain circumstances when pulling away. I only need to put the weight of my foot on the pedal when the engine is pulling and it is enough to disengage and the clutch slips. I can make gear changes with the pedal at roughly 1/4 of its travel (from the top). I have got to the point where I am actually doubting whether the garage has changed the clutch and just charged me the £350!
Has anyone any thoughts or advice on this??
Hey drummer. Sorry to hear that you feel th8s may havw happened. Lets not go to the dark places yet as i find as a DIYer wheb u have to take car elsewhere yiu can paranoia yourself abit. Lets not worry about the old parts and control what you can. 1) You may want to get 8n the engine / under it and see if the bolts have signs of being touched. If they are covered in dry thick dirt could be a sign. Look at places such as engine mount bolts and compare one side to the other. 2) You may want to bleed the clutch as a rule out job. 3) Check reviews of this company and see if anyone has mnetioned about a bad clutch, if they have a fb page try talk to other customers through there.

Hopefully others will pop up with some ideas.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a bit more running I’m coming round to the notion that it is okay. Just higher than expected but in fairness I’ve driven brand spanking new cars with high clutches.

I think I have trust issues. I’m not used to other people working on my motor. I usually take care of anything needing done. It was instilled in me as a youngster by my old man who always did everything himself.

Next job is a new aux belt for the corsa and a front wheel bearing for the wife’s BMW X3.

·
Registered
372 Posts
After a bit more running I’m coming round to the notion that it is okay. Just higher than expected but in fairness I’ve driven brand spanking new cars with high clutches.

I think I have trust issues. I’m not used to other people working on my motor. I usually take care of anything needing done. It was instilled in me as a youngster by my old man who always did everything himself.

Next job is a new aux belt for the corsa and a front wheel bearing for the wife’s BMW X3.
Lol. Mate your preaching to the choir. Im the exact same i sound all cool and calm but then if i have to go to a garage i picture them just cutting wires fir a simple fix lol. Well keep this post live and let us know how things go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car still running okay. Got back my confidence in it.

More than can be said for the wife's BMW X3. It's going through a litre of coolant every week and a half with no obvious signs of where it's leaking out. No emulsified oil / coolant on the dipstick / coolant reservoir so not thinking head gasket and there is not a lot in the way of white smoke coming out the back so I cant convince myself that it's going into the intake. There isn't a pool of liquid on the garage floor so no idea where it's going! I want to pressure test the system but can't seem to find the right adaptor on the internet for the expansion tank.

Pain in the a$$!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Car still running okay. Got back my confidence in it.

More than can be said for the wife's BMW X3. It's going through a litre of coolant every week and a half with no obvious signs of where it's leaking out. No emulsified oil / coolant on the dipstick / coolant reservoir so not thinking head gasket and there is not a lot in the way of white smoke coming out the back so I cant convince myself that it's going into the intake. There isn't a pool of liquid on the garage floor so no idea where it's going! I want to pressure test the system but can't seem to find the right adaptor on the internet for the expansion tank.

Pain in the a$$!!
The pains of a luxury car ay. Gkad your happy with the car. Have you looked at the bleed points.on.your wifes bmx3 , this is.often over looked. What you.may want to.do is plan tonchange the coolant and add some of that dye that.illuminates under.blue light , it may give you an idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts