Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coolant has been disappearing and so gave it to a garage and they cannot find an issue?

1, heaters working fine.
2, no error codes when plugged in.
3, no gunk in oil.
4, exhaust normal, drives normal.
5, pressure tested, thermostat checked ( so they say).
6 only visible issue is boiling coolant.Video here

·
Registered
134 Posts
My coolant has been disappearing and so gave it to a garage and they cannot find an issue?

1, heaters working fine.
2, no error codes when plugged in.
3, no gunk in oil.
4, exhaust normal, drives normal.
6 only visible issue is boiling coolant.Video here
[/QUOTE

go drive to vauxhall and get a new expansion cap , they are not expensive. if the cap is not sealing correctly it will give these symptoms

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
If the coolant is boiling you have no pressure so something is wrong somewhere and as you said "pressure tested, thermostat checked (so they say)" i wonder if they actually did check it.

Why is my car’s coolant bubbling?

Cooling systems in most cars are pressurised, and rely on a leak-free closed circuit of hoses to pump coolant/antifreeze around the engine. When air gets into this sealed system, air pockets can form and cause blockages, which can lead to bubbling and overheating.

Bubbling indicates rising air pressure in the cooling system, which is a sign that the flow of liquid is blocked by a pocket of air. One of the most common causes is a blown head gasket, in which the air pressure inside the cylinder heads is transferred to the cooling system. This escaped air causes bubbling in the coolant/antifreeze reservoir, which can often be mistaken for boiling.

Aside from a blown head gasket, there are several other causes for air inside in the cooling system, which we’ll come to later.

Give the full article a read -

·
Registered
134 Posts
You should just replace the whole expansion bottle really , cortenay motorsport sell them for something like £15.00 . They list them for the vxr but someone in the know might be able to tell you if all the D’s use the same bottle ?

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
You should just replace the whole expansion bottle really , cortenay motorsport sell them for something like £15.00 . They list them for the vxr but someone in the know might be able to tell you if all the D’s use the same bottle ?
I am not sure why you think its the cap or expansion tank as nothing is escaping in the video he posted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Clearly the coolant is going somewhere.
It can only leak out, leak into the oil or be burnt in the combustion chamber.
Did they do a sniff test for combustion gases in the coolant?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the coolant is boiling you have no pressure so something is wrong somewhere and as you said "pressure tested, thermostat checked (so they say)" i wonder if they actually did check it.

Why is my car’s coolant bubbling?

Cooling systems in most cars are pressurised, and rely on a leak-free closed circuit of hoses to pump coolant/antifreeze around the engine. When air gets into this sealed system, air pockets can form and cause blockages, which can lead to bubbling and overheating.

Bubbling indicates rising air pressure in the cooling system, which is a sign that the flow of liquid is blocked by a pocket of air. One of the most common causes is a blown head gasket, in which the air pressure inside the cylinder heads is transferred to the cooling system. This escaped air causes bubbling in the coolant/antifreeze reservoir, which can often be mistaken for boiling.

Aside from a blown head gasket, there are several other causes for air inside in the cooling system, which we’ll come to later.

Give the full article a read -
Why would they not, they could have replaced the whole system, pummp ,rad ect and I would have just paid, as long as issue fixed

It not air , the coolant is over heating and boiling off in expansion tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably going to do this as a cheap option, but have another garage my company use as an option, after the weekend....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Probably going to do this as a cheap option, but have another garage my company use as an option, after the weekend....
Its where i would start,peace of mind that its not the cap.also having a brand new expansion tank/bottle is almost as good as brand new pants

dont know if your going to do the job your self or not but make sure the correct amount of coolant is used and that its bled correctly if your going to change the whole expansion bottle

it’s mentioned above if a sniff test was carried out? this is something I would want done if the cap doesn’t resolve the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its where i would start,peace of mind that its not the cap.also having a brand new expansion tank/bottle is almost as good as brand new pants

dont know if your going to do the job your self or not but make sure the correct amount of coolant is used and that its bled correctly if your going to change the whole expansion bottle

it’s mentioned above if a sniff test was carried out? this is something I would want done if the cap doesn’t resolve the problem
Cannot understand how a garage says they cannot find a problem when clearly there is one, and it can lead to a massive one, ie head gasket

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not all garages/mechanics are of equal skill unfortunately.

Im lucky that i have an excellent garage close to me that i always have work on my car and my car is down their monthly pretty much lol. not because of problems but im working through replacing lots of parts.

just get the cap first and see what happens

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
Why would they not, they could have replaced the whole system, pummp ,rad ect and I would have just paid, as long as issue fixed

It not air , the coolant is over heating and boiling off in expansion tank.
He suggested they had not done it not me i only repeated it see number 5 from the OP below -

Why would they not, they could have replaced the whole system, pummp ,rad ect and I would have just paid, as long as issue fixe
Maybe they didn't know what was causing it i still dont believe its escaping from the expansion tank if it was it would be squirting out of the overflow in the videio and its not and the OP has not mentioned the expansion tank overflow in his many posts!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts