Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of or has seen a kit to convert to cornering lights VW style?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know of any existing kit but I think it should be possible. Similar to keeping indicators always on for US Sidemarkers, perhaps a module for each foglight which takes an input signal and gives an output for a certain amount of time.

So the indicator will provide the "on" to the timer relay module which can feed the foglight for a few seconds etc.

I think they are called Timer Delay Module/Relay, then a few diodes to prevent hyperflash when feeding the signal from Indicators.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was thinking a time delay module but with it being a flash output from the hazard / indicator output it’s going to flash like a insta princesses phone flash, then with it being can bus too. I mean if it was an old 12 volt system then I could work it out with a light delay relay and go from there but canbus is like the devils own to me, so that’s why I was wondering if there was a kit or someone had done it already

·
Registered
90 Posts
The timer delay relays have 3 power input connections, there is a seperate power source for a constant feed (that keeps the timer ready), and the other power source being the switch that triggers the timer, lastly 3rd being ground I believe.

If the inputs are A, B, C.

A: Constant 12v (power it from ignition)
B: Trigger 12v (the source that is beginning the timer)
C: Ground

I haven't tried any boards myself so I don't know the behaviour of the relays but you'll have A being connected to ignition, B being connected to the indicators, and C being grounded. Once the trigger has been activated, the timer will countdown and the fog light will be powered from the constant.

Though since the indicator trigger is on and off, it will either go 2 ways:

The trigger going on and off will just reset the timer which is what you'd want. Or the trigger will cancel the timer which will make the fog light feed turn on and off as the trigger turns activated the relay, then cancels, then activates again etc.

Though I'm sure it'll either have no effect on the timer or it'll reset the timer to keep the fog light on longer while you keep the indicator on.

See this video as an example:

He activates the trigger which counts it down, so it shows the trigger can either be touched once, or held down, but we don't know about on/off but I'd say there's a chance it'll work how we want it to.

(Just remembered I researched into it a while back when I wanted to use a timer delay on a Blackbox jammer to make it stay on for a minute or so after the car was off :censored:, similar kind of setup in a different way)

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It isn’t so much the how to do it it’s the canbus low voltage side of things that’s the concern and going into the actual loom and buggering something up! I’ve some time off next week so can have a proper look into it then

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only potential issue would be if you have the fog lights on, or if the constant 12v backfeeds into the indicator feed the wrong way and ends up powering the indicators. But the solution to that is to throw in some diodes along the new circuit to make sure power only runs through 1 way on the indicator feed etc.

I had a similar issue with my US Sidelights that while I was trying to power only the front indicators from ignition power, it was backfeeding the wrong way and powering the side indicators and rear indicators, but throwing in a pair of diodes to prevent the backfeed solved it,

100% it should be possible, you’ve got me interested in it but I’m not really a fan of cornering lights 😬

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just seen them on v dubs and like the idea, same with your U.S domestic thing you’ve done to the indicators, that I do really like, but I looked on eBay and the kit to do that is big bucks, as there’s 3 options for it! Be nice little earner if you decided to knock a few kits out!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Could you use relays some how? Connect a relay to each fog light then have it so when each indicator is turned on it activates the required fog light. You could then wire it so when both indicators are on it cuts power to the fog lights.

I appreciate you would still need some sort of buffer to keep the sense from the indicators going to prevent them flashing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts