Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

Corsa 1.0 (Z10XEP) Engine Troubles

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  beng91 
#1 ·
Morning, I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on a problem with my dad's early Corsa D 1.0.

The car is quite high mileage (126k) and as far as we're aware it's never had the timing chain replaced. It's always burnt oil like these engines are known to do but my dad has regularly topped it up.

A couple of weeks ago the car began to lose quite a bit of coolant, after topping it up a few times and checking for leaks it went into the garage who found a leak in the water pump, £160 later the water pump was replaced.

Since then it has been fine with regards to coolant, until now. On a fairly long drive the other day the oil light came on (flashing). My dad pulled over to check the oil level, which was fine. He let the car cool a little before carrying on. A few more miles down the road and the same thing happened again, this time the oil level was fine again but the coolant was bubbling in the expansion tank and sounded like it was bubbling in the engine.

After letting the engine cool he topped up the coolant and carried on. A few miles later the engine made a rather horrible noise that can only be described as a 'metal on metal screeching'. The car was swiftly switched off and wasn't started again. Now when the ignition is turned on there are some very strange light displays coming from the dashboard, unsure if this is related to the engine issue or is just a case of a dodgy battery.

The car has been recovered home and when the recovery guy jump started it we heard quite a loud knocking coming from the top of the engine.

My first thought on the issue was the oil pump, lack of pressure means no oil to the top of the engine and therefore extra friction, this could have caused the engine to overheat which explains the bubbling coolant and potentially the horrible noise and knock from the top of the engine.

Am I right with my thinking on this? And what should be my first steps to find out what damage has been done internally?

Many thanks

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.