Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me out!

My partners Corsa has developed a problem thats really bugging us. She went through a large puddle a month ago and ever since then if you try to rev through the gears, the little car with the spanner light flashes on once, then goes off and all of a sudden the car will not go above 3,000 revs. Now it just be coincidence this happened after going through the puddle I'm not sure!

The handbook says this light is water in the diesel. So, we've given the car full service including new fuel filter thinking this would remove the problem. The problem still exists!

My neighbour is a mechanic and checked for any fault codes, but nothing appears. On the dash no codes appear either i.e. INSP 4 etc so we're no further forward.

Its really frustrating as it means traveling a lot slower and its also really increased her fuel consumption to and from work, so we're keen to resolve this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 3000 RPM is a safety rev limit that the ECU is programmed to engage when the engine is either too hot or the engine has faults that require power to be limited. This is just a safety feature and is designed to let the car run to get you to a garage where you can have the problem rectified.

On all new Corsa models it seems to be the trend that the engine is limited to 3000 rpm when the engine warms up to prevent people wheel spinning off.

I would advise taking the car to vauxhall for a further investigation. If a diagnostics cant resolve the issue, the problem may be with the ECU software being damaged preventing fault lights from being cleared.

Hope this helps mate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I am familiar with why the car protects itself but not the cause of it. taking to Vx won't be cheap hence if other forum users have has similar problems they may be able to advise what the cause of their issue was.i can then look to replace the parts myself.

Is this related to MAF sensor, EGR, turbo or something more serious?

·
Registered
194 Posts
It could be anything mate. U may have to take it to the dealer if only to find out what is wrong with it. You dont have to let them fix it. It will cost obviously but its really the only way i think you will solve the issue. Sorry not very helpfull but its wot i would do. Then fix it my self.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
If you can wait till stampede next visits Scotland and pop down and see him,
He has tech2 which is the vx diagnostic kit, and loads cheaper than your local stealer..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys definately no water in the air filter.

What does a duff EGR in the corsa look like?i took mine off my mondeo st an it was obvious stuffed with junk but on the corsa I can't tell as its different.What should I be looking for to know if the EGR is the cause?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoke to Vx they say EGr isn't a common fault on the 1.3 diesels and sounds more like a turbo issue.That sends alarm bells ringing and sounds expensive.Any ideas?

£48 to get diagnostic check really hope they can give me something specific I suspect they will tell me the code which all only give us a general idea of what's wrong! As you can tell I'm not the most trusting of main dealers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still looking for help with this issue.

Got diagnostics done at Vx and they had the following codes:

P0234
P0638 & 683
P0400

They've told us we need a new turbo, glow plugs and EGR valve at a cost of over £1,000.

Its done 60,000 miles now but we've had it from 8,000 miles and its never been thrashed or driven hard and serviced regularly. With modern cars I wouldn't expect to have to replace a turbo on a 6 year old car with average miles!

Is it common for these CDTi Corsa's to require a new turbo?

·
April 2009 Feature Car
4,623 Posts
Still looking for help with this issue.

Got diagnostics done at Vx and they had the following codes:

P0234
P0638 & 683
P0400

They've told us we need a new turbo, glow plugs and EGR valve at a cost of over £1,000.

Its done 60,000 miles now but we've had it from 8,000 miles and its never been thrashed or driven hard and serviced regularly. With modern cars I wouldn't expect to have to replace a turbo on a 6 year old car with average miles!

Is it common for these CDTi Corsa's to require a new turbo?

turn lights off and PX.;)

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
I can understand the glow plugs needing to be changed at 60k, mine lasted 120k. The Turbo shouldn't go but you never know what the owner before did to it. EGR can go anytime really but normally when the car reach's the high miles. Jazzy had his EGR changed about 60k but mine on 140k+ hasnt had it changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EGR and glow plugs I could live with not expensive and had to replace EGR on my mondeo at same mileage. The Mrs puts cheap diesel in the corsa so could well of clogged up the EGR.

Its the turbo error code that worries me or could they all be linked i.e. replace the EGR and it solves all problems. I don't know enough about the workings of the engnine and valves to fully understand it all.

1k for a turbo tho is a 1/3rd of the cars value so its a big decision, particularly if it doesn't fix the problem. I have little confidence in vx.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts