Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm after a more veteran mechanic help please, yesterday when I was adjusting my gear linkage I noticed my Coolant tank was low and refilled it, took my car out for a drive to test the gears and got back to hear bubbling coming from my coolant tank initially I assumed it was the coolant cap - waited for it to cool down and just took it off checked the seals and re-fitted correctly.

This morning I drove to work and the blasted bubbling was there again, this time checked my oil filler cap and the dreaded creaminess was there (Not excessive and not in my coolant tank) I did a quick temperate check and my car was at 102 when stopped and my fan never kicked in I have noticed my mpg has been rubbish lately Sub 30's usually just put that down to my driving and living in a hilly area.

I work with cars and can get trade rate on any work being carried out however our mechanic isn't in until Wednesday, and I am also still not in a position to change un-necessary parts. (bills etc) and was just wondering if anyone else has come across this?

Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hello I'm after a more veteran mechanic help please, yesterday when I was adjusting my gear linkage I noticed my Coolant tank was low and refilled it, took my car out for a drive to test the gears and got back to hear bubbling coming from my coolant tank initially I assumed it was the coolant cap - waited for it to cool down and just took it off checked the seals and re-fitted correctly.

This morning I drove to work and the blasted bubbling was there again, this time checked my oil filler cap and the dreaded creaminess was there (Not excessive and not in my coolant tank) I did a quick temperate check and my car was at 102 when stopped and my fan never kicked in I have noticed my mpg has been rubbish lately Sub 30's usually just put that down to my driving and living in a hilly area.

I work with cars and can get trade rate on any work being carried out however our mechanic isn't in until Wednesday, and I am also still not in a position to change un-necessary parts. (bills etc) and was just wondering if anyone else has come across this?

Thanks
Hey Jay sorry to hear of troubles.

I am pretty sure the temp for the fans to kick on is about 109c and the thermostat starts to open up at 103 but can get as hot as 109c for it tb triggered. The cream residue do you have a pic and have u checked the on dipstick to see if the oil 8f affected there ? But also what is your driving comuute on short trips or do you do long? Regatding the water pump ypu czn usually hear a whirring noise if it is starting to fail or it maybe leaking from there. Also she if your lower rad hose is get hot sugnalling your thermostat is working and that the pump 8s somewhat working. I would from now note how much coolant you are adding every week, if your topping up often and by huge amounts could be an issue. but if its alittle every few months

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jay sorry to hear of troubles.

I am pretty sure the temp for the fans to kick on is about 109c and the thermostat starts to open up at 103 but can get as hot as 109c for it tb triggered. The cream residue do you have a pic and have u checked the on dipstick to see if the oil 8f affected there ? But also what is your driving comuute on short trips or do you do long? Regatding the water pump ypu czn usually hear a whirring noise if it is starting to fail or it maybe leaking from there. Also she if your lower rad hose is get hot sugnalling your thermostat is working and that the pump 8s somewhat working. I would from now note how much coolant you are adding every week, if your topping up often and by huge amounts could be an issue. but if its alittle every few months

So I’ve checked my lower rad hose and it is ice cold even after a long run, in terms of my commute it’s probably sub 5 miles each way with a lot of heavy traffic.

I’ve noticed my coolant hasn’t moved since I’ve been driving around with my heaters on full blast. And usually only when it is boiling in the reservoir and coming out of the overflow. (Unless there’s a very slow leak into the engine as well)

I’ve gone as far as replacing my reservoir cap with another Corsas and it still boils.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would recommend chamging the cap all together. If it was the yellow cap theynarent great and if it is crunching as u close it the a sub par. I changed mine as it was cheao enough £10 from vauxhall amd they have a new design it is black with a metal coil inside. So i would start there to rule out easy fix if it is. Now lower rad hose would indicate a bad thermostat BUT i mhst stress these cars can get hot upto 109 as i mention before and the thermostat opens up very slowly. Of u search the forum for "what is our operating temperature" i did a post spanning uear ago to literally last year of back amd forth with over heating. But what i would do is take your car for a drive to get it up to temp and then come back home and just leave it running and allow the radiator fan to kick in about 3-4 times. This should allow the thermostat to open by then (if its working) and then feel your radiator hose. If you loom in that post i mentioned i tested two GM thermostats at whem they open amd they both were around 107 - 110c degrees , so sometimes your rad hose will be code as the thermostat is not reading it as hot enough, its like these cars love to be pushed to high temps befor thermostat opens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will go and buy a new cap tomorrow from my local vauxhall dealer but I do have the black cap already, I took my car out for a really good run yesterday at in the local country lanes then left my car idling on my driveway with all fans off, it went up to 104 then dropped itself down to 98 so I assume the thermostat is kicking in but couldn't hear it. I've taken some photos of my oil filler cap I can't tell if there is cream on the dipstick just because of it's design however oil looks quite dirty already and was only changed -2000 miles ago by myself apologies for the dark photo only had a chance to look at it last night after my long drive.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I will go and buy a new cap tomorrow from my local vauxhall dealer but I do have the black cap already, I took my car out for a really good run yesterday at in the local country lanes then left my car idling on my driveway with all fans off, it went up to 104 then dropped itself down to 98 so I assume the thermostat is kicking in but couldn't hear it. I've taken some photos of my oil filler cap I can't tell if there is cream on the dipstick just because of it's design however oil looks quite dirty already and was only changed -2000 miles ago by myself apologies for the dark photo only had a chance to look at it last night after my long drive. View attachment 19835
I epuldnt say becuase you saw on your dash it wemt uptp 104 amd tuem back to 98 is a site fire indicator your thermkstat is working. If your coolant temp sensor is faulty tuat wpuld display wrongly in your car. U keed to feel if lower rad hose gets hot but it can take awhile. Just make a list of thing i sughested and give that ago. All free and things u to meed to check of first. We need to know if thermostat os opening and manual way is via that.lwoer rad hose But as i said before it can take awhile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm at work at the moment so I will bring the car on our pitch and leave it running until I get home then I'll check for it then, I'm more worried if my expansion tank will blow up due to the boiling coolant when it hits over 100 degrees

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm at work at the moment so I will bring the car on our pitch and leave it running until I get home then I'll check for it then, I'm more worried if my expansion tank will blow up due to the boiling coolant when it hits over 100 degrees
Honestly do not worry about that. The thermostats on these oopen up past 100 degrees sp car is des8gn to get that hot. Just dont open the expansion bottle when car is hot. If you are worried i would just do this when you have.better lighting, where some googles (can get a great ski style pair from home bargains for £2.99) and cover up. But im being over kill here. But im the same ive changed millions of car batteries and always where eye protection and rubber gloves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts