Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i bought this car about 5 months ago (1.4 sxi) and have experienced this noise worsening over time, i suspect its the timing chain but just wanted to get some opinions, the noise is non existent on a cold start up but once warm it worsens, the noise is ticking/ rattling, i understand the injectors or tappets can be quite noisy on these engines but not sure.

The car is on 66000 miles and to my knowledge has never had a timing chain change.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check the oil filter to make sure that it has not collapsed (sucked in) very common I would recommend fitting genuine filter only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the oil filter to make sure that it has not collapsed (sucked in) very common I would recommend fitting genuine filter only.
I believe when we serviced it after i bought it the filter had look liked it collapsed, how would this cause the car to sound like this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Basically the timing chain tensioner and lifters are fed by oil pressure if the oil filter has sucked in this can limit the oil flow/pressure and prematurely wear engine components. First job check filter again if ok check oil pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically the timing chain tensioner and lifters are fed by oil pressure if the oil filter has sucked in this can limit the oil flow/pressure and prematurely wear engine components. First job check filter again if ok check oil pressure.
So im guessing i need to clean and flush out the oil? to get any bits of that filter out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh dear, maybe a oil flush and fresh oil and filter might help? I think I would check oil pressure too to avoid further damage if it is low.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would need a oil pressure testing kit it would go in where the oil pressure switch is. Left hand side when looking at engine from the front just below rocker cover will have one wire going to it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi just an update on this issue, had a new timing chain kit put on and it fixed the issue for the most part, engine is much quieter! mechanic said the tensioner had completely failed, chain its self was okay, also found out the timing chain gasket was most likely leaking causing oil and water mixture.

Here is a video of the before and after noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts