Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had a developing issue which has been quite annoying for the last 3-4 months or so. I have a rather loud rattle coming from the engine. The rattle is evident when the engine is idling, low revs or when i take my foot off the accelerator. Car is the Corsa D 1.0 A10XEP.

I took the camshaft cover off, gave the chain a good look and the tension is secure on it with 0 slack, I had the chain replaced approx 10K miles ago as I previously had the chain skip a tooth and throw the timing out of whack, car wouldn't start and the chain was very loose. I also inspected the chain guide and it was fine, not broken etc.

The sound did seem like it was coming from the injector / inlet manifold area but I thought i'd still take the camshaft cover off just to be sure so it ruled out the chain or chain guide as being the issue.

I noticed that when the revs are increased, the swirl flap vacuum solenoid pushes the swirl flaps and the noise stops. Video of noise and illustration attached: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

So I disconnected the ball joint to the swirl flaps, started the engine and the noise had gone away. Now I don't want to drive the car with the swirl flap disconnected as I'm sure it has its purpose, so my question is, would you agree it's the swirl flaps / intake manifold at fault? If so what would be the best course of action, I'm guessing a second hand intake manifold since the swirl flap is built into the intake manifold? Also how difficult would it be to replace it? I'm competent in general car engine repairs / servicing etc but I also know my limits.

Picture of swirl flap vacuum solenoid attached.

Many thanks in advance,
James.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
My corsa c z10xep does the same. Ive got a new manifold to fit. Id forgotten all about it until i read this. New manifold will sort it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a video of someone else with the same situation, as soon as they disconnect the ball joint and move the swirl flap position, the rattle stops, so I'm assuming the inlet manifold needs replacing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts