Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 1.7 CDTI stuck at a garage at the moment with a diagnosed water damaged ECU. I trust the garage, and they have looked after several other issues over the years really efficiently.

They have sent the ECU off to a repairs company, and they have since reported back that they are not able to repair the unit. I'm not clear on whether this means the same as 'clone to a donor ECU' or whether this in-fact means they were just not able to bring this one back to life.

The car would run for 90-180seconds before switching itself off as I was driving it to the garage. So the ECU still functioned to some extent. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of cloning a 1.7 CDTI (2007) water damaged ECU to a new donor ECU successfully?

On the off chance someone has.. may I ask where you sent it and who was able to complete the job?

Any help greatly appreciated.

FF

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,404 Posts
I’m guessing that you’ve thought about weighing it in for paper clips? I aren’t suggesting for one moment that’s what you do by any means, the 1.7’s are a rare beast at the best of times so all effort should be put into saving the “ diesel vxr “ of the corsa d’s. Given they are quite a rare sight the chances of another undamaged 1.7 ecu being found second hand are going to be slim, however keep looking as there will be someone out there that does do replacement ecu’s. I know your 1.7 was the same engine as fitted to countless Astra h’s, zafira b’s, vectra’s and Astra j, mokka, meriva and gtc Astra’s but as far as I’m aware, they all run a different ecu to the corsa d so that’s about as much help as a chocolate fire guard, now as for who else uses the 1.7 cdti, I am aware that fiat, Alfa Romeo, Suzuki, and a possibly a couple more use Vauxhall/ fiat engines, it’s just who does and if their ecu’s are matching. I guess dropping a email to Vauxhall tech department about which ecu your car uses would be a starting point, you might even find out if there’s another manufacturer that uses it, it’s always worth asking, I hope you get some joy with this as it’d be a shame to see it go off the road for a ecu. Actually, search on here for a guy called lee habbers as he has had a 1.7 cdti in the past, not seen him on here for 6 months or so but if you can get hold of him, he may be able to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 2007 1.7 CDTI stuck at a garage at the moment with a diagnosed water damaged ECU. I trust the garage, and they have looked after several other issues over the years really efficiently.

They have sent the ECU off to a repairs company, and they have since reported back that they are not able to repair the unit. I'm not clear on whether this means the same as 'clone to a donor ECU' or whether this in-fact means they were just not able to bring this one back to life.

The car would run for 90-180seconds before switching itself off as I was driving it to the garage. So the ECU still functioned to some extent. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of cloning a 1.7 CDTI (2007) water damaged ECU to a new donor ECU successfully?

On the off chance someone has.. may I ask where you sent it and who was able to complete the job?

Any help greatly appreciated.

FF
Which company did you send it to ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which company did you send it to ?
So the garage sent it to ECUTesting.com (I believe), for a recondition service. They don't support the 1.7 CDTI ECU, so I now have it back. I've since spoken with ECU Doctor (Plymouth), and Auto Tronics (Leicester).

ECU Doctor charge £520 to clone the faulty ECU and will flash the information on a donor ECU (which they provide), once returned they will honour a 2 week 'test' period and then provide a 12 month guarantee. I'm dubious whether this company can complete the work, as the damage to the ECU is probably beyond a 'plug and go' clone situation with diagnostic tools.

AutoTronics on the other hand have taken a look at the pictures and will remove the chips from the damaged ECU in order to extract the relevant data and create a 'clone' which can be flashed on a replacement. This seems like the right choice considering the damage I have. I will however have to provide the donor ECU. They charge £200 for the service. I have will retain the risk on the part.

Here is an image showing the extent of the damage (note the chip which has somehow fallen off the board and is shown on the black casing for the serial plugs);
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Computer hardware

I'm currently searching the interweb for a donor ECU. Please don't outbid me.. 1.7 CDTI ECU's are like gold dust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m guessing that you’ve thought about weighing it in for paper clips? I aren’t suggesting for one moment that’s what you do by any means, the 1.7’s are a rare beast at the best of times so all effort should be put into saving the “ diesel vxr “ of the corsa d’s. Given they are quite a rare sight the chances of another undamaged 1.7 ecu being found second hand are going to be slim, however keep looking as there will be someone out there that does do replacement ecu’s. I know your 1.7 was the same engine as fitted to countless Astra h’s, zafira b’s, vectra’s and Astra j, mokka, meriva and gtc Astra’s but as far as I’m aware, they all run a different ecu to the corsa d so that’s about as much help as a chocolate fire guard, now as for who else uses the 1.7 cdti, I am aware that fiat, Alfa Romeo, Suzuki, and a possibly a couple more use Vauxhall/ fiat engines, it’s just who does and if their ecu’s are matching. I guess dropping a email to Vauxhall tech department about which ecu your car uses would be a starting point, you might even find out if there’s another manufacturer that uses it, it’s always worth asking, I hope you get some joy with this as it’d be a shame to see it go off the road for a ecu. Actually, search on here for a guy called lee habbers as he has had a 1.7 cdti in the past, not seen him on here for 6 months or so but if you can get hold of him, he may be able to help. Good luck.
I've reached out to Lee.. guess we'll see if he still has his kicking about. Thanks for the referral - appreciate it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've since resolved the issue. I ended up sending the damaged ECU off to a company called 'Cartech Telectronics Ltd'. They completed the same procedure as ECU Doctor but for £30 quid cheaper. Total bill incl postage & VAT was £490. Daniel was especially helpful, would recommend. Turned the work around within 48 hours or receipt of the damaged ECU.

I was unable to find a donor ECU myself, otherwise I would have gone down the AutoTronics route. There are very few of these cars being broken, and the ones I did come across had either already sold their ECU's or were looking for £500ish. I did come across a couple of spares in Poland / Romania but even sourcing from this far afield came with a £200-250 price tag (without a flash of existing car data).

When the donor ECU was remounted I had the entire area (inc drains) cleaned out, and also had it fitted on some washers in an attempt to elevate it slightly in the scuttle panel.

After labour for the diagnostic, and refit (£80 inc VAT), my wallet is now £570 lighter. Interestingly.. the rough idle I have previously posted about (which I had thought was an EGR issue, due to associated engine fault codes) has seemingly sorted itself out. So an ECU issue could be something to consider if you're experiencing similar problems.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Glad it worked out VX should be screwed for putting the ECU in the diesels in a place where water was likely to become an issue how many poor sods like me have scrapped their cars because the fix could have been close to the value of the car mine had only done 80,000 miles and was in good condition.

I am going to copy your post to my warning thread as it might save someone else the nightmare of scrapping their car.

Done -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts