Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summary of symptoms: Occasionally fails to start on first turn of the key even if turned over for 30 secs - so far it has always started almost immediately on the second turn.

Background: Car in excellent condition - all MOT advisory items even acted upon and Michelins all round so appears to be very well looked after. Bought it a few weeks ago so don't have fine history detail (no receipts) but service book is fully stamped with mostly main dealer (no intervals of mileage exceeded). Apparently just been "fully serviced" and cam chain replaced because slightly noisy and as a precaution. Coolant reservoir overflowed due to cap failure (dealer said it is a common fault?) - does not look like it went over the engine management module but will have a closer look. Verified that the car is not overheating by letting it heat up for 10 mins and seeing fan coming on - temp slowly crept up to 109C and fan kicked bringing it down a few. Car drives normal, no other apparent problems.

Diags: Used a generic ELM device with Torque on a smartphone (combination known working on several other cars). Tried several times after long runs and no faults found. Engine management lights do not stay on indicating a fault (will also do the pedal test but not expecting to see a fault). No sign of immobiliser light staying on or flashing. Battery seems good voltage and power and car dash diags state correctly 12.5v and above 14v when running.

Further detail: Happens unpredictably whether cold or hot but does seem to happen less when cold (could just be perception) - probably happens about 1 in 3 times - remember it always starts immediately on second attempt. Rev counter moves off zero when turning over - meaning not likely a crank position sensor? When failing to start, pressing throttle does not fix it, though once or twice it has started with splutter and immediately cut out. Can hear fuel pump prime (buzzing sound from rear - presume under rear seats?) for 3-4 seconds, even before failing to start. This may not at all be relevant and I don't have another Corsa to compare it to, but I noticed that when stationary and cold, it's not east to hold a set RPM by moving the pedal and it fluctuates - could be totally normal while cold as I have seen it on different cars?

Any ideas on what it could be and what to try next from experienced trouble shooters appreciated please?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Throttle position switch? Just sounds like it’s not detecting it or there’s a funky earth somewhere in the wiring possibly even a cracked wire?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throttle position switch?
I presume throttle body in engine bay rather than throttle pedal? How would I test/verify this as an issue? Would it not still start without detecting throttle position - I would not normally expect to have the press the pedal so the throttle should be closed / at minimum?

And any idea how to track down a bad earth or cracked wire? I checked the seating of all fuses and relays next to the battery.

Anything specific on these cars to look out for?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Yeah, it may be giving a intermittent voltage under load, if the wiring is old or getting brittle there could be a cracked wire somewhere or a bad earth. The other thing that could be at fault is oxygen sensor that sits rather toasty in the top of the exhaust manifold. Just a suggestion like, I may be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will take a closer look at the wires but on a previous brief look everything looked like good condition.

Would the oxygen sensor give the symptoms I described - in summary, intermittently failing to start on first attempt but otherwise fine?

Any other ideas from anyone please as I want a number of things to look further into?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Have the spark plugs been changed and if so are they the right ones, there’s always the coil pack that could be on its way out as it’s been mentioned in other posts on here

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar problem for a while, went to garage after garage trying to get a diagnosis but no fault codes were found. The car would occasionally fail to start but as time went on it happened every time, revs dropped to around 500rpm and then engine dies. Turns out it was a temp sensor, maybe yours is the same? It would drive fine as soon as it started up but constantly failed to start. I took mine to vauxhall in the end and they fixed it for a lovely 200 quid price tag, hope this helps mate good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Have the spark plugs been changed and if so are they the right ones, there’s always the coil pack that could be on its way out as it’s been mentioned in other posts on here
Thanks SXiDave, we have just bought the car so not sure about the plugs and coil pack but will bear that in mind. For now the problem is slightly better - it happens only occasionally - and as it always starts on the second attempt, we are going to leave as is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I had a similar problem for a while, went to garage after garage trying to get a diagnosis but no fault codes were found. The car would occasionally fail to start but as time went on it happened every time, revs dropped to around 500rpm and then engine dies. Turns out it was a temp sensor, maybe yours is the same? It would drive fine as soon as it started up but constantly failed to start. I took mine to vauxhall in the end and they fixed it for a lovely 200 quid price tag, hope this helps mate good luck
Thanks for your help. Before my daughter left for University and took the car, I had a garage scan for codes with a pro reader. It found P0122 and P0223 throttle position sensor codes (history not current) so they said to replace the throttle pedal - it did not noticeably help the starting issue but the car does run slightly smoother under part throttle.
If the problem worsens, I will take a look at the throttle body (suggested by SXiDave) and the temp sensor when I see the car next - probably Xmas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts