Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just looking around to see what i can find out about this failure, trying to establish if the cause was something specific which i need to address when i fit the new oil pump.
what i do know of the vehicle is its a 2012 so 8 years old and its covered 60K miles with oil changes at every MOT as well as being driven around sensibly by a grown up :)
IMG_20200204_165453.jpg IMG_20200204_165829.jpg

·
Registered
576 Posts
hi, just looking around to see what i can find out about this failure, trying to establish if the cause was something specific which i need to address when i fit the new oil pump.
what i do know of the vehicle is its a 2012 so 8 years old and its covered 60K miles with oil changes at every MOT as well as being driven around sensibly by a grown up :)
View attachment 19861 View attachment 19862
Sorry to see you had the issue mate. What made you think the oil pump was failing? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to see you had the issue mate. What made you think the oil pump was failing? Cheers

The symptoms were described to me as a sudden rattle and loss of power, I took the engine apart expecting to find a timing chain tensioner failure but it was fine instead I found parts of the oil pump in the basket filter of the sump

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
The symptoms were described to me as a sudden rattle and loss of power, I took the engine apart expecting to find a timing chain tensioner failure but it was fine instead I found parts of the oil pump in the basket filter of the sump

Good spot.mate. maybe look into the oil pick, possibly got.blocked causing restriction. How long did it take you to strip it down to where you are?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It came apart over a 6 hour period, there was tea and chat mingled into that, the most stubborn part was removing the coil pack without tearing the rubber isolating material, one ended up in 3 bits

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So today I found the time to put this back together, in my case I fitted an oil pump £60 and a new bottom crankshaft pulley £55 the oil and filter was £30, my chain was ok but as it had done 60k miles I changed it £70 and £45 for a water pump, all in all not a difficult job

·
Registered
576 Posts
So today I found the time to put this back together, in my case I fitted an oil pump £60 and a new bottom crankshaft pulley £55 the oil and filter was £30, my chain was ok but as it had done 60k miles I changed it £70 and £45 for a water pump, all in all not a difficult job

Fair play. Really rate those who can work on vars this level. Im diy but this would be out of my remit lol. Are you professionally trainned or another diyer .

·
Registered
576 Posts

Hey Pal,

Just checking in to see how the car has been running since all this work? Any issues . Also noticed you said u replaced crankshaft pulley? What made you change that or did you mean crank shaft pulley seal?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
Could you tell me where you got oil pump as my daughter has same problem and we can't seem to get oul pump for it
How did you get on in the end with you repair, was it the oil pump or something else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, since the repair the car runs great, the pump has an internal hexagon shape which the crank shaft pulley fits into perfectly, but when the pump breaks up it damages areas of the crank shaft pulley making it unusable afterwards the pictures show the damage that occurs, I’m seeing more of these failures popping up around the internet once the engines pass 50k miles, including main dealer serviced examples apparently it’s cause by the timing chain gasket failing mid way up and it means the engine can’t suck the oil up, they suggest silicon gasket on a couple areas during install, thankfully I’d done mine during assembly :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi, since the repair the car runs great, the pump has an internal hexagon shape which the crank shaft pulley fits into perfectly, but when the pump breaks up it damages areas of the crank shaft pulley making it unusable afterwards the pictures show the damage that occurs, I’m seeing more of these failures popping up around the internet once the engines pass 50k miles, including main dealer serviced examples apparently it’s cause by the timing chain gasket failing mid way up and it means the engine can’t suck the oil up, they suggest silicon gasket on a couple areas during install, thankfully I’d done mine during assembly :)

That's great to hear and some really good info in that head of yours. It does seem very common that I am just preparing my mind for mine as it's at 30k miles lol. When you say it needs some.silicone in certain areas do you know where or have any reading material links hat's states where this new update of adding the silicone should be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This guy does a guide showing the location for the additional gasket sealant and explains the key elements to install

1 - 15 of 15 Posts