Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corsa d,only 26000 miles done.Pretty much from new had cold brake scouring.Mot advisories saying discs corroded.Just had new Brembo discs and pads fitted,but still getting this brakes scouring noise when car first used.

Any one had this?

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Does it clear once you have used the brakes a couple of times if yes it sounds like surface rust when the car has been parked a while in damp conditions mine does it occasionally.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Does it clear once you have used the brakes a couple of times if yes it sounds like surface rust when the car has been parked a while in damp conditions mine does it occasionally.
Seems exactly this perfectly normal.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,509 Posts
Might just need “bedding in” , a few miles with new pads and discs squealing is normal as you get used to them, not all brake manufacturers will have the same steel recipe for the discs or the same friction material in the pads, best advice, find a quiet road and spend 5 mins just gently braking from 40 mph to stop then a couple of hard emergency stops from 70 mph ish, then say half a dozen or so 40mph gentle ones followed by a couple of “ oh crap, this bend is tighter than I thought” ones, then find a cafe or the like and have a brew/***/coke/wazz for 5 mins then go home just gently, every so often, brake enough just to take say 10 mph off your speed, keep an eye on your brake pedal though, if your bite point drops, the brakes are getting over warm, don’t go through any standing water either as you could end up warping your discs, not good, and you should soon have the “newness” run off and have quieter brakes. If they’re racing or high temp pads you may need to think about some softer pads although using the above braking should help, you might have to do it a couple of times though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys ,done a few hundred miles so should be well bedded in by now.
Can rule out rust on discs because after driving the car 10 miles into town in a dry sunny morning,about 1 .5 hours later on my return home the same cold scouring.

This same problems was first noticed on the Corsa when fairly new an on its original discs and pads,now new Brembos and still the same.

Could this be a sticking caliper?,no pulling or judder when braking even at high speeds though.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Try feeling the wheel centre (not the disc) after driving a few miles if the calliper is sticking one wheel will be a lot hotter than the rest.

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,509 Posts
If it’s done it before perhaps it might be worth slipping the calipers off and checking between the pads and discs for any small stones etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No heat at centre of both front wheels.

This has been noticable from almost new,car 7+years old now.I had thought this might be cured after having the discs an pads replaced but still the same.My mechanic is pretty good and would have cleaned and greased when replacing them.

I have read that some have had problems with the brake shield catching on the discs on the Corsa causing noise,but would this only happen when cold if that is the cause.

the car also gets an mot advisory ever year fot the Macpherson Struts,but passes.Would a bit of movement there cause the brakes to scour?

·
Registered
991 Posts
No heat at centre of both front wheels.

This has been noticable from almost new,car 7+years old now.I had thought this might be cured after having the discs an pads replaced but still the same.My mechanic is pretty good and would have cleaned and greased when replacing them.

I have read that some have had problems with the brake shield catching on the discs on the Corsa causing noise,but would this only happen when cold if that is the cause.

the car also gets an mot advisory ever year fot the Macpherson Struts,but passes.Would a bit of movement there cause the brakes to scour?
To clarify when you say scour , I'm assume you mean you look at the discs and they is a semi deep scratch in the disc. You mention a sound when it cold, if you mean when u press the brake you hear a type of squeak , very mild fog horn sound. This is very common in Corsa and apart from replacing all braking components, it's just a matter of lump it. (Mine does this). The issue is , despite you saying your mechanic is pretty good, with brakes unless you do it yourself, there.maybe a very minor thing that gets missed (with no malice, just garage's have time constraints). E.g Does he wire wheel the slider pins? Does he regrease the slider pins or just check they have movement? Does he change the brake accessories aka shims. These are all things I do for my customers but it does come at added cost purely because you need to buy the accessories, but it does add time. These things could be contributing to the issue. If you ask him he will mostly likely says he does all this but I very much doubt it. I have a very small niche of customers so have the time to take care of them all at 100%. Garages just don't have this luxury. The scouring is something that you need all these things to be done and know it's been done otherwise people will always says what I have said. The strut issue won't cause an issues with scoring on the discs.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The noise is similar to what you get when pads are done,maybe not quite as loud.It didnt happen when car brand new and when brakes are warmed, after a few miles you stop and no sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the Corsa back into the garage today, to investigate a rattling noise and got him to re-examine the brakes. The inner discs were badly pitted and scoured and the mechanic is convinced they were fakes.

The discs were purchased from GFC Car Parts Ebay Shop and the pads from Europarts.

He has fitted new Bosch Discs and Pads from Europarts and the brakes are now perfect.

Of course I had to pay for the bits and his labour again so a bit aggrieved not the mechanics fault though.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Glad you got it sorted, to be honest i would never buy car parts from ebay there are enough car parts places about where you know you'll get the real thing its not worth the risk and as you found it didn't save you money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts