Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've got a 2013 Vauxhall Corsa D 1.4 SE and I've noticed when the ignition is off or even when the key is out completely - the electricals of the car seem to stay on and able to be used at any time. Stuff like the interior vent fans, the cigarette 12v port, and the radio amongst things I've noticed don't turn off unless I manually do it myself, like setting the dial to 0 for the fans, for example. Is this normal and a feature on my car, I find it to be quite a hassle having to check if everything is off before I leave the car otherwise I'm greeted with a flat battery that needs jumping if I end up forgetting. This stays the case no matter how long the car is turned off for - they can always be turned and left on.

Any ideas how to sort this out? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i had a similar situation few days ago. the battery was drained and i noticed the radio would come on when ignition was on.
The only way to sort out is experiment with the radio unit settings button.make sure the ignition mode is on or off .when its in on position the radio switches off automatically when key taken out.
try it with ignition off also and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks banda, I'll have a look at that.

What about the other two - those were my main concerns as they've each been the reason I've needed to jump start my car due to a moment of carelessness!

·
Registered
75 Posts
i did not have a problem with the fan or cig lighter socket.maybe its controlled by the same circuit.
try the radio settings/menu button and let us know how it works out.good luck

·
Registered
262 Posts
Personally I think it's the ignition barrell by the sound of it as the radio doesn't seem to have any affect on the cig light port when I've tried it in a family members Corsa today if you mess with the ignition settings the heater and cig lighter goes off

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Does the interior light come on when the key is first removed and do the headlights go out. Is it internment or all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Jake thanks for the suggestion,

Yeah I think you're right, I fiddled with the radio settings and it hasn't had an effect, everything still stays on. The interior light does come on when I remove the key, and also when I open the door if that helps - the headlights go out when I turn the engine off. From my knowledge, it's just the interior fans and the 12v socket that stay on, or rather live in the fans' case as I can turn them on at any time but they remain off when at 0, and it's not intermittent, it happens everytime.

If you don't mind explaining - what do you mean by ignition settings? Guessing by what you said about the ignition barrel, do you mean it needs replacing or is there a menu or something that I can change any settings you're talking about.

Cheers for the help

Edit: Would it necessarily be the barrel, or could it be a faulty ignition switch? I'd have thought if it was the barrel then perhaps you wouldn't be able to actually turn the igniton on? Sorry if that sounds bizarre I'm not the best at these things!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi. It sounds like the ignition switch is working.

My theory is that it's something sticking inside the switch as when you start the car it cuts out the blower motor and cig plug so it's like some how them contacts have jammed in the on position to me.

When you start the car or turn the car In to start whilst running does the blower motor and everything shutdown. If it doesn't I think it's that.

I don't really know much about replacing it I thought the switch and barrell were the same unit but might be wrong.

Edit: when I said settings I meant the thing I'm the radio that says igniton on and off

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes sense, I'll try start the car with the fans on and see if they momentarily turn off as the car starts up. If it doesn't I think you'd be right and maybe a new barrel would be needed because perhaps something is sticking. Sounds very reasonable thanks mate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
happened to me again today.battery was flat and the radio started working with ignition on.
i changed the radio settings to off position for ignition and now its ok.only thing is you have to make sure the radio is manually off when u take key out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
happened to me again today.battery was flat and the radio started working with ignition on.
i changed the radio settings to off position for ignition and now its ok.only thing is you have to make sure the radio is manually off when u take key out.
I think you have a key issue aswell. By the sounds of it. Does the hazard warning switch stay light all the time

·
Registered
75 Posts
no. nothing else is wrong except the radio coming on automatically.i shall check the battery tomorrow morning for any drain of current.The car was fine 1 week ago until my daughter left the radio on by mistake.anyway i hope its going to start ok tomorrow

·
Registered
262 Posts
no. nothing else is wrong except the radio coming on automatically.i shall check the battery tomorrow morning for any drain of current.The car was fine 1 week ago until my daughter left the radio on by mistake.anyway i hope its going to start ok tomorrow
The only thing I think it could be is the switch that turns the radio of when they key is pulled out

·
Registered
75 Posts
The battery had drained a bit and car did not start.the only differencce of this new battery which i put in last year is that it is a lower AH and cca battery.older batery was 59AH.This is 44AH.Could this be causing the starting issues?.i have removed the battery and put it on a charger to fully charge the battery.if after this also battery drains current i will think of
parasitic drain like an immobilizer or faulty ignition switch.but today there was no electrical equipment automatically swithing on with ignition..
need some advice and views on this matter please

·
Registered
75 Posts
hi there is a current drain on the battery when i checked it today.it might be a faulty immobilizer or the ignition switch or another accessory circuit.anyway its time to get it checked in a garage.

·
Registered
262 Posts
hi there is a current drain on the battery when i checked it today.it might be a faulty immobilizer or the ignition switch or another accessory circuit.anyway its time to get it checked in a garage.
Try pulling the ignition fuse out and see if it still has the drain.

·
Registered
576 Posts
How did you check there was a drainnonbthe Battery?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
hi all i have already checked it into the garage for looking into the issue on friday. the reason i did not check the ignition switch fuse was because i wont be able to
do it as a diy if it is that.i removed the negative terminal and used a test light on the neg post and the earth. it lit up although i dont have a multimeter for proper voltage drop checking.
hope the garage can sort it out.thanks for your input.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i managed to get hold of a multimeter. will check actual voltage drop .if its less than 50mvol its acceptable drain of current.
i shall let the garage know and cancel the appointment for friday.the test light method is only an indication of draining current.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i managed to get hold of a multimeter. will check actual voltage drop .if its less than 50mvol its acceptable drain of current.
i shall let the garage know and cancel the appointment for friday.the test light method is only an indication of draining current.
Yeah I was going to say, if they are just going to run and check a parasite draw, the amount you will pay them (1h labour) you could buy a very good multi meter and don't yourself plus have a new tool forever.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts