Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well.

This isn't a new issue on my Corsa, but I've had to jump start my battery because of it and so I wanted some insight on my problem. When I turn the car off and remove the key out of the ignition, the car's electrics seem to stay live. If I insert something into the 12v socket, it will be powered on, the interior fans can be turned on, and the headlights can also be turned on - I could list more but you get the idea. I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to what could be the problem? It's quite tedious having to make sure everything is disconnected, and especially with it getting a flat battery it's a hassle too. Hope someone can help.

The car is a 2013 1.4 Corsa D SE.

Thank you

·
Registered
186 Posts
At a guess, either a short circuit ; positive wire from the battery touching another wire somewhere in the wiring harness, or a dud relay - these are the square boxes on the fuse panels. Or faulty ignition switch ? Here's a trick; pull fuses out of the fuse panel, one by one. (Make sure you put them back correctly) When the system goes off, check which fuse it is. That will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Lloyd, I had a poke around the fuse boxes and I found a wire that looked peculiar - didn't look like something Vauxhall would wire themselves and looked really shoddy. I took some pictures - is this wire by any chance what could be keeping the 12v socket permanently live? The yellow fuse is what is what's supplying the 12v, and the brown one is what supplies the AC system.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That wire indeed looks unusual. Have you got a multimeter? You can check where there's current still being drawn. If not take it out & give it go that definitely shouldn't be there.

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,245 Posts
That wire looks as if it’s bridging the 2 circuits together, as to why it’s been done is anybody’s guess. Think the best option is to re locate the piece of wire to the nearest bin and see if things return to normal!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could be a faulty ignition switch, mine does it occasionally when the plunger in the barrel doesn't move correctly when the key is removed. A give away is you won't get the headlight left on warning when you open the driver's door because it thinks the ignition key is still in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for all the replies guys. I think the general idea I'm getting is the wire shouldn't be there and to remove it. Koi - I thought the same until I tested for that and the alarm goes off (so the car does recognise the key is out). The question now is how exactly do I remove this wire? Do I cut it? The best thing would be to 'pull' it out cleanly by removing its attachments but it goes into the fuse ports so I'm not entirely sure how that will work.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Pull both fuses out, I suspect it’ll just be the ends of the wire contacting the fuse ‘blades’ and therefore, damned easy to sort out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that Dave - you were right and after removing the fuses it just needed some encouragement and it pulled right out. Thank you for everyone's help - much appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Sometimes it’s as simple as that, fingers crossed it’s sorted the power drain out too!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I remember reading a thread where someone bridged two fuses to fix a fault has removing the wire caused anything to stop working as its obviously been bridged for a reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts