Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I don't know very much on cars or the technical language associated with it so I'm putting all this in plain English.

I own a 59 plate Corsa D 1.4. The car has recently had a service and passed an MOT with no problems to report.
The engine started normally earlier for a short drive however after it was being parked up for a few hours I noticed on a cold start the engine revs was lower than usual at about 500 - 700 rather than about the usual 1000. I left it on idle for a few mins to let the heating come through and could hear the engine was reving up and down slightly by itself between 500 - 700. I also noticed the main cabin light was going dimmer and brighter in sync with the engine revs. After the usual bit of clutch judder from setting off first time (I know that's a factory error as I've looked this up before) I noticed when I slowed down at some traffic lights the engine revs dropped very low and it very nearly cut out. A red warning light appeared on the dash board but I forget the symbol that it had. This happened again on approach to a roundabout but then when I select a gear and then have my foot on the acceleratetor the engine behaves normally and the red light goes away.

Obviously I need to get my car to a garage to fix it but any thoughts in advance for what is happening and what might need to be done to fix it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,504 Posts
To me this sounds battery/ alternator fault as it’s getting low on leccy especially if revs drop with main beam and heated rear window on.

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
To check the alternator is working properly do this -

You will see on the fourth press it reads 14.3 which is the alternator output.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts