Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/girls,
Looking for some advice with a problem I’ve encountered with my 64 plate Corsa D, when I go to strike it after not driving it all day, they key just turns in the ignition and all the lights come on but the engine doesn’t even try to start or tick over, it does this a few times and then finally it strikes up? It’s not consistent though sometimes it just goes and strikes first time, anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey guys/girls,
Looking for some advice with a problem I’ve encountered with my 64 plate Corsa D, when I go to strike it after not driving it all day, they key just turns in the ignition and all the lights come on but the engine doesn’t even try to start or tick over, it does this a few times and then finally it strikes up? It’s not consistent though sometimes it just goes and strikes first time, anyone have any ideas?
Is it turbo? Had the same problem as egr was jammed

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s not a turbo, how did you resolve the issue or is it a garage fix? Someone mention rocking the car foward and back while in reverse.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It’s not a turbo, how did you resolve the issue or is it a garage fix? Someone mention rocking the car foward and back while in reverse.
Hi yours wont have an egr. I miss read your comment I would try the rocking it technqiue as I thought you meant it struggled to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi yours wont have an egr. I miss read your comment I would try the rocking it technqiue as I thought you meant it struggled to start.
The car starts and runs fine it’s just sometimes after leaving the car for a while, when I turn the key in the ignition the car doesn’t even attempt to turn on it just turns all the lights on my dash on and that’s it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The car starts and runs fine it’s just sometimes after leaving the car for a while, when I turn the key in the ignition the car doesn’t even attempt to turn on it just turns all the lights on my dash on and that’s it.
Yeah sounds like the starter is sticking, i would rock it and faking that replace it

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
591 Posts
Yeah take it off but watch for dust and replace with a new or refurbished one new ones £260 from euro car parts, that’s based on a 1.2 non stop start though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah take it off but watch for dust and replace with a new or refurbished one new ones £260 from euro car parts, that’s based on a 1.2 non stop start though.
Thanks, I saw that price on euro parts, maybe I’m wrong but doesn’t that seem crazy for a starter motor?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Yeah, I was quite suprised myself, I guess if you’re good with the spanners you could always take it off and clean things up a bit, copper grease on the electrical connectors and quite a good bit of petrol and give everything a good clean and take apart, can do quite a bit of cleaning for £260! 😆

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
£195 if you use code early20 on euro car parts, makes it seem a bit more reasonable! Least if it’s a new one you know that side of things is sorted, depends how much of an inconvenience having to rock the car is for you but I’d guess it’s all dusted up inside the starter motor and that’s making it “dozy” starting, I may be wrong but if it’s coming off to be replaced anyway, might save £200 by cleaning it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
£195 if you use code early20 on euro car parts, makes it seem a bit more reasonable! Least if it’s a new one you know that side of things is sorted, depends how much of an inconvenience having to rock the car is for you but I’d guess it’s all dusted up inside the starter motor and that’s making it “dozy” starting, I may be wrong but if it’s coming off to be replaced anyway, might save £200 by cleaning it up.
Update to this - rocking it back managed to have everything perfect for a few days and then it got even worse, now when turning the key sometimes the dashboard doesn’t even light up - sometimes it does and sometimes the car fully starts there is 0 consistency which makes me think maybe it’s an ignition fault as well? Going to have an auto-electrician come take a look if nobody has anymore experiences with this

·
Registered
442 Posts
Update to this - rocking it back managed to have everything perfect for a few days and then it got even worse, now when turning the key sometimes the dashboard doesn’t even light up - sometimes it does and sometimes the car fully starts there is 0 consistency which makes me think maybe it’s an ignition fault as well? Going to have an auto-electrician come take a look if nobody has anymore experiences with this
Hey Ozzy,

I'm not Mr Alk knowing but have you lookiled into your battery / alternator?

Also can you explain what you mean by rocking the car back? Do you mean that literally or is it a slang term for something? Trying to learn

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Ozzy,

I'm not Mr Alk knowing but have you lookiled into your battery / alternator?

Also can you explain what you mean by rocking the car back? Do you mean that literally or is it a slang term for something? Trying to learn

Hey Everson,
I recent changed the battery out and had it tested by the RAC and the output seemed great and with regards to the alternator I didn’t consider it since the car seemed fine electric wise as soon as it got running, but it’s something look at, and by rocking the car back I mean sticking the car in reverse and pushing it back on the spot to try and move a sticky starter motor!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey Everson,
I recent changed the battery out and had it tested by the RAC and the output seemed great and with regards to the alternator I didn’t consider it since the car seemed fine electric wise as soon as it got running, but it’s something look at, and by rocking the car back I mean sticking the car in reverse and pushing it back on the spot to try and move a sticky starter motor!
Yeah I would look into this, oyu can do basic tests with an alternator or you can by a.proper alternator tester, I do both to cover all bases. Thanks for explaongnthat pal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts