1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CORSA D SXI 1.2 Petrol 2007
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

Will try to keep this short.

Starting using Redex and it seems to have started a strange chain of events.

Car started losing power, then coming back, accompanied by weird crackling sounds (like a Roman candle firework) from the exhaust pipe, followed by EML coming on.

Gradually got worse, until now the car fails to start. Managed to get some codes (from the app: OBD Check - Torque). There were two lots of codes:

First lot:

1) P0300 - Powertrain - Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected

2) P0301 - Powertrain - Cylinder 1 misfire detected

3) P0302 - Powertrain - Cylinder 2 misfire detected

4) P0303 - Powertrain - Cylinder 3 misfire detected

5) P0304 - Powertrain - Cylinder 4 misfire detected

Second lot:

1) P0202 - Powertrain - Injector circuit cylinder 2

2) P0203 - Powertrain - Injector circuit cylinder 3

3) P0204 - Powertrain - Injector circuit cylinder 4

Just to add; new coil pack was put on but issues carried on. RAC guy came out, and when he took out the sparkplugs, two of them had the ground electrode and electrode were missing (there are about 3 small metal pieces in the engine) They were put in brand new about 2 months ago, the same time it passed the MOT. Strangely enough, the car still started with the two damaged spark plugs in.

I put in new spark plugs, but it now doesn't start at all. There's no smell of petrol when I turn it over, so I suspect the fuel injectors have given up the ghost.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hi there.

Will try to keep this short.

Starting using Redex and it seems to have started a strange chain of events.

Car started losing power, then coming back, accompanied by weird crackling sounds (like a Roman candle firework) from the exhaust pipe, followed by EML coming on.

Gradually got worse, until now the car fails to start. Managed to get some codes (from the app: OBD Check - Torque). There were two lots of codes:

First lot:

1) P0300 - Powertrain - Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected

2) P0301 - Powertrain - Cylinder 1 misfire detected

3) P0302 - Powertrain - Cylinder 2 misfire detected

4) P0303 - Powertrain - Cylinder 3 misfire detected

5) P0304 - Powertrain - Cylinder 4 misfire detected

Second lot:

1) P0202 - Powertrain - Injector circuit cylinder 2

2) P0203 - Powertrain - Injector circuit cylinder 3

3) P0204 - Powertrain - Injector circuit cylinder 4

Just to add; new coil pack was put on but issues carried on. RAC guy came out, and when he took out the sparkplugs, two of them had the ground electrode and electrode were missing (there are about 3 small metal pieces in the engine) They were put in brand new about 2 months ago, the same time it passed the MOT. Strangely enough, the car still started with the two damaged spark plugs in.

I put in new spark plugs, but it now doesn't start at all. There's no smell of petrol when I turn it over, so I suspect the fuel injectors have given up the ghost.
Wel starting from process of elimination, you would need to get those spark plug pieces out, as that could be causing issues, ideally you need a boroscope and a magnet,.to see if you can fish it out.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
CORSA D SXI 1.2 Petrol 2007
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: RAC came out and did a compression test. Cylinders 2 & 4 (where the spark plug bits fell off into the engine) had low compression. Unsure where to go from here, but I may have to scrap the car now as it's too expensive to repair.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Update: RAC came out and did a compression test. Cylinders 2 & 4 (where the spark plug bits fell off into the engine) had low compression. Unsure where to go from here, but I may have to scrap the car now as it's too expensive to repair.
Sorry to hear this. But before you call first scrapman, but try putting on FB market place as spares and repairs you should get more money than scrap for it.

But somemoptions to consider are:

1) as you said scrapping it / FB market place.

2) Repairs Vs new: in the current climate buying a good used car is going to cost a few grand, maybe looking at replacing the engine at a garage would be less of a cost.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I agree if the car is good (other than this problem) at least you'll know when you have it repaired it's going to last buying second hand is a mine filed you could end up in a much worse place in future with a car who's history you don't know.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thank you. Garage quoted me approx £2k for an engine to be put in (used them before, and they're legit). I'll avoid the scrapman and stick it on eBay/FB.
About 2k is about right for these engines but still cheaper than a used car from say a dealer looking at a 2013/14.plate? Have you though about what your doing car wise? 2nd hand or 2nd hand dealer?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thanks for your help and the moral of the story is; don't buy cheap Bosch sparkplugs from eBay!
Being on eBay Vs a store, Bosch is still a good brand, but counterfeiting is known to happen, I would recommend switching to NGK , there customer service is top notch and you can buy them and then email them a picture or call them to ask them to check the authenticity of the plug. But Bosch is an OEM brand vauxhall for a few parts so your mistake was really not getting them authenticated by Bosch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts