Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Asphalt Road surface

Guess this means the head gasket is going?

Engine warning light went on, I thought it was maybe because I hadn't had a service in over a year, so I changed the oil, found all this stuff, which I am aware means the head gasket is deteriorating and water is gettin in the oil.

Coolant was also pretty low and i drained 2 litres of oil out, and put 3 back in.

The car's not dead...yet

Is it worth taking it to a garage and getting this seen to? In terms of cost vs how many more years I could get out of the car

Also, tried to change the oil filter, but just could not get the old one out. Any tips?

·
Super Moderator
1,356 Posts
Don't be overly concerned by mayonnaise in the oil filler cap mine was much worse than that as the person who owned the car had done lots of low mileage journeys i wiped it off and took the car for a decent driver getting it up to temperature the mayonnaise got less and over a few days it stopped appearing on the cap, if you are not losing lots of coolant and the car is not overheating get it out on the road and give it a good run every few days allowing it to get to temperature and this should get rid of the mayonnaise and keep the car running right and the battery at full charge, you don't have to do lots of miles just enough to get the engine to full operating temperature.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thank you, so I need to buy one of those sacnner things. Do they cost a lot? Is there a certain kind you would recommend?
The annoying thing about vauxhall is usually the very cheap £15 scan tools don't work (although I have since them work once or twice) bit usually they don't but u can by a cheap in and hope. You would need to either tlget the official dealer software which is used via a laptop and it plugs into the car op-com & vaux-com. Or you spend a few hundred on a top after.market tool, any one you look at you can see of it covers vauxhalls. Whilst it is pricey up front it will pay for it self in years to come. If not what you can do is call a.local garage and offer £15 for them to do a scan for you and give you the information that the engine management light (the yellow light you are seeing) is trying to communicate.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The annoying thing about vauxhall is usually the very cheap £15 scan tools don't work (although I have since them work once or twice) bit usually they don't but u can by a cheap in and hope. You would need to either tlget the official dealer software which is used via a laptop and it plugs into the car op-com & vaux-com. Or you spend a few hundred on a top after.market tool, any one you look at you can see of it covers vauxhalls. Whilst it is pricey up front it will pay for it self in years to come. If not what you can do is call a.local garage and offer £15 for them to do a scan for you and give you the information that the engine management light (the yellow light you are seeing) is trying to communicate.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Ok, so this: Latest Op-com Kit ?

I need to buy that, then it will tell me what is wrong with my car, then i can go about fixing it

·
Super Moderator
1,356 Posts
The problem is as Everson said above if you buy a cheap one it may not give you all the codes I would take it to a garage as Everson said and ask them how much they would charge just to scan it they may do it for nothing if they think they might get the job if it's too big for you to do it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem is as Everson said above if you buy a cheap one it may not give you all the codes I would take it to a garage as Everson said and ask them how much they would charge just to scan it they may do it for nothing if they think they might get the job if it's too big for you to do it.
Right, I will ring around a bunch of local garages and see who will do a quick scan the cheapest, then take it from there

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ok, so this: Latest Op-com Kit ?

I need to buy that, then it will tell me what is wrong with my car, then i can go about fixing it
That is running fake firmware, there is no such thing as firmware 1.70, 1.65, 1.72, 1.90, 1.95 or 1.99 they are old versions faked to fool the gullible.

I can sell you one that is running the correct firmware with the correct, matching software.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is running fake firmware, there is no such thing as firmware 1.70, 1.65, 1.72, 1.90, 1.95 or 1.99 they are old versions faked to fool the gullible.

I can sell you one that is running the correct firmware with the correct, matching software.
Oh, how much would you sell it for? Do I need to be a computer wizz? Or is it just a simple case of install software, plug in to car, click a few things?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts