Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for coming back and updating how things went. Did you manage to get your old filter out, you usually just need to give it a good old yank to get it out.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
No, in the end I just changed the oil. From my research I think I need a 32mm socket to get the filter out. Ive just been driving around with a filter that has been in for almost 2 years now, changed the oil so Im sure it'll be ok, I'll get a 32mm socket and change the filter soon

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
View attachment 21427
Can't believe it, literally just came on tonight, and I've got my MOT in a couple of weeks, I must get this sorted.
Well don't worry too much.

Just going back to the filter, I would urge you to get it changed asap, I've seen a horrendous engine swap all because of an old filter, filter broke up and dislodged the relief.valve inside the housing and caused oil starvation. So for the sake of a socket, and a filter trust.me you will kick yourself.

With the engine light it maybe a simple fix, but if you can't get a decent scan tool or the official op.com. simply find a garage and ask them if I chuck you £15 can you scan my vehicle and then once they do it ask to take a picture of what the info says. As said could be simple.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well don't worry too much.

Just going back to the filter, I would urge you to get it changed asap, I've seen a horrendous engine swap all because of an old filter, filter broke up and dislodged the relief.valve inside the housing and caused oil starvation. So for the sake of a socket, and a filter trust.me you will kick yourself.

With the engine light it maybe a simple fix, but if you can't get a decent scan tool or the official op.com. simply find a garage and ask them if I chuck you £15 can you scan my vehicle and then once they do it ask to take a picture of what the info says. As said could be simple.

You're right, I will change the filter asap, just bought a socket set.

And yeah, ages ago before the light turned off, I rang a few places, cheapest local garage said about 20 quid to do a scan, so I will try and book that in for my next day off

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just rang a local garage to book it in for a scan and the mechanic asked me a few questions about it:
"is it just the picture of an engine and not an electrical one with a spanner" - yes

"Does the car seem to be running alright" - yes it does

"Do you put cheap petrol in it"- yes I do, I never put the e5 stuff in.

He said try running through a tank of the more expensive petrol and it might go away.

Will I fail my MOT if this light is on?

·
Registered
2007 Corsa D SXi FWD
6 Posts
Like others have said, don't worry about the sludge it's just due to short drives and the oil not getting up to operating temp.

As for the light on your dash, you can start by doing some checks under the bonnet if you haven't already. I'd check:

• All sensors are plugged in correctly and not caked in grime
• sound of engine - knocking etc
• coolant hoses, coolant level & water pump check overall condition
• operation of rad fan when it gets up to temp
• Check that no fuses have blown
• signs of large oil leaks (loss of compression)

If there is nothing obvious that you can see then I'd recommend buying a fault code scanner. Plugs straight into your OBD port. Google the fault codes and that'll give you something to go on. Much cheaper than going straight to a garage.

Oh and the oil filter should just twist off from the top of the housing and the new one should click onto the top. It's just a plastic push fit onto the paper filter so it shouldn't be too difficult. If it's really glued on then spray some wd40 or something similar and leave it to sit for 5 mins.

Keep us updated 😀

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Like others have said, don't worry about the sludge it's just due to short drives and the oil not getting up to operating temp.

As for the light on your dash, you can start by doing some checks under the bonnet if you haven't already. I'd check:

• All sensors are plugged in correctly and not caked in grime
• sound of engine - knocking etc
• coolant hoses, coolant level & water pump check overall condition
• operation of rad fan when it gets up to temp
• Check that no fuses have blown
• signs of large oil leaks (loss of compression)

If there is nothing obvious that you can see then I'd recommend buying a fault code scanner. Plugs straight into your OBD port. Google the fault codes and that'll give you something to go on. Much cheaper than going straight to a garage.

Oh and the oil filter should just twist off from the top of the housing and the new one should click onto the top. It's just a plastic push fit onto the paper filter so it shouldn't be too difficult. If it's really glued on then spray some wd40 or something similar and leave it to sit for 5 mins.

Keep us updated 😀
Thank you, I will do all those checks.

As for the oil filter, its the actual housing that I can't unscrew
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

This is it. Cant get the right socket for it, tried adjustable spanners and nothing grips.

Would one of these work I wonder:
Red Gas Tool Household hardware Hand tool

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Just rang a local garage to book it in for a scan and the mechanic asked me a few questions about it:
"is it just the picture of an engine and not an electrical one with a spanner" - yes

"Does the car seem to be running alright" - yes it does

"Do you put cheap petrol in it"- yes I do, I never put the e5 stuff in.

He said try running through a tank of the more expensive petrol and it might go away.

Will I fail my MOT if this light is on?
Lol, I love how he is just guessing what it could be,.very surprised that he didn't just book you in, charge a fee and then either.email and.print off the codes or very at least take a picture. To me this is backwards, this is diagnosing 101 if you have a car in the garage, verify customer complaint and scan vehicle for codes. Try another garage and see as your just guessing in the dark, it may not be a code that gives you.much to go by but it's a start. Where you base

I believe the oil filter socket is 24mm or 22mm but yes if you ask the server and say your not sure of size, can I quickly test them they will be fine, worse case scenario just buy them and then literally return the ones you don't need, done that.many times and they are fine with it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Lol, I love how he is just guessing what it could be,.very surprised that he didn't just book you in, charge a fee and then either.email and.print off the codes or very at least take a picture. To me this is backwards, this is diagnosing 101 if you have a car in the garage, verify customer complaint and scan vehicle for codes. Try another garage and see as your just guessing in the dark, it may not be a code that gives you.much to go by but it's a start. Where you base

I believe the oil filter socket is 24mm or 22mm but yes if you ask the server and say your not sure of size, can I quickly test them they will be fine, worse case scenario just buy them and then literally return the ones you don't need, done that.many times and they are fine with it.

To be fair the light has gone off again, so hey ho, as long as I pass my MOT and hopefulky get another few years out of this fine motor, Im happy.

As for the socket, yeah, I will do that soon.

Suppose if im changing the filter soon I should probably go ahead and change the oil too

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
To be fair the light has gone off again, so hey ho, as long as I pass my MOT and hopefulky get another few years out of this fine motor, Im happy.

As for the socket, yeah, I will do that soon.

Suppose if im changing the filter soon I should probably go ahead and change the oil too
Whilst I'm not a fan of the, "lights gone off, must be nothing",.I would advise to move your MOT up, since you don't know what triggers, I would get it in sooner rather than later just so it's.one less issue to worry about.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Whilst I'm not a fan of the, "lights gone off, must be nothing",.I would advise to move your MOT up, since you don't know what triggers, I would get it in sooner rather than later just so it's.one less issue to worry about.

Yeah, MOT is booked in as soon as I could, earlier than its expiry date by 2 weeks and at a time where Im off work for a bit

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oh dear, light is back on, on another thread someone said oil pressure sensor could be the issue. Thing is, I had a leak coming from there just over a year ago, so my Dad got me a new one and fitted it, said it was a really easy job, just gutted that its happening again, and that light will cause an MOT fail, but I thinking i still get it tested on Monday, even if I know it will fail, as then i have a week off work to fix stuff and take it back for a free re-test within a week

21 - 40 of 77 Posts